What music did you buy today?

tonym

I had decided to put an end to my jazz buying spree for the week but on the wy home yesterday I happened to go past one of the secondhand shops and went inside just to look.

And there were all these CDs (with a euros 10 top prize):

Cecil Taylor 'It's In The brewing' on HatArt,

Cecil Taylor '3 Phasis' on NewWorld,

Cecil Taylor 'Chinampas' on Leo,

Jimmy Lyons/Jeanne Lee 'Nubia' on Black Saint,

Marylin Crispell/Irene Schweitzer 'Overlapping Hands' on FMP

Chet Baker Live in Sweden on Dragon.

Well, that's it for this week. Unless...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A reward for finally finishing my taxes.

I couldn't make up my mind whether to do a $100 variety pack from Alldirect, a Mosaic set or an order from Nessa. So I decided to play a hand of computer Yahtzee for each and let the highest score win the order. Sorry Chuck, though I'll be ordering after vacation in May!

Art Ensemble of Chicago - Reese & The Smooth Ones

Art Blakey - At the Cafe Bohemia V 2 (have V1)

Art Blakey - Roots & Herbs

Tina Brooks - Minor Move

Tina Brooks - Back To The Tracks

Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop

Bud Powell - Scene Changes

Jackie McLean - Capuchin Swing (Right Now! has me going)

Jackie McLean - Jackie's Bag

Hank Mobley - Dippin'

Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures

Larry Young - Into Somethin'

Steve Earle - Train A Comin'

I'm glad this group "won" as I've been meaning to get many of the above for ages but other things kept jumping in front of the line. And yes, I plead guilty to being on a Blue Note jag. ;)

Edited by Quincy

I've admired Henderson's State of the Tenor from afar for a while now. What do you think?

What do you mean by 'from afar?' Are you saying you've not yet purchased the CD? Do you mean you've enjoyed 'State of the Tenor' as a fan? Meaning, afar from the music and the players yet, right there, enjoying the music as any jazz fan should? Just wondering.

I listened to the first disk (of the two disk Henderson sesson) this evening. The playing is quite good and most enjoyable. My complaint, though, is that Joe Henderson doesn't sound as 'Joe Henderson ish' as I'd have expected. To me, Henderson, in days of old, had a cranking, grinding, fiery, exacting, wholesome, wild & calming type of sound. On 'State of the Tenor,' Henderson seems less like himself than I anticipated. I picture Henderson the way he sounded on, say, 'The Real McCoy' or 'Mode for Joe.' His playing is good on 'State of the Tenor' but I don't sense the fire and excitment of the old days.

Another surprise: As much as I/we criticise the remastering efforts, on these boards, of Van Gelder and McMaster, 'State of the Tenor' (recorded in 1985) doesn't sound as crisp and vibrant, to me, as some of the Van Gelder and McMaster reissues, although it is a good-quality recording.

I need to keep in mind that 'State of the Tenor' was recorded about 20 years after Joe Henderson's early Blue Note days. Henderson has had time to mature, experience more of life, relax, and understand in those 20 years. 'State of the Tenor' has more of a matured Henderson feel to it, not as much of the firey/grinding playing as that of his youth. Also, I need to listen to the music more than only halfway through the set (have not yet heard disk 2) before passing too much judgement.

Have I enjoyed 'State of the Tenor?' Yes. You can't have too much Joe Henderson.

Would I recommend buying it? Yes.

Was it exactly what I'd anticipated? No (at least, so far).

Postscript: Okay. Upon more listening, now getting through the second disk. I want to add to my words above. The fiery playing is not the same as the old-fashioned Joe Henderson. But, it's still there in warped format (for lack of a better description). I think my real criticism of this recording is not the fire of Henderson's playing... but the sound quality of the recording itself. The sound quality seems muffled and flat compared to what I've become accustomed to with the RVGs and other re-issues. It's like I can't hear the different textures and details of the instruments. The problem, I fear: there is no Rudy Van Gelder or Ron McMaster involved.

Edited by wesbed

I've admired Henderson's State of the Tenor from afar for a while now. What do you think?

What do you mean by 'from afar?' Are you saying you've not yet purchased the CD? Do you mean you've enjoyed 'State of the Tenor' as a fan? Meaning, afar from the music and the players yet, right there, enjoying the music as any jazz fan should? Just wondering.

I mean that I've heard a lot about the album and a couple of tracks from it, have meant to buy it over the years, but haven't yet. Thanks for the toughtful assessment, though!

Edited by gdogus

I had decided to put an end to my jazz buying spree for the week but on the wy home yesterday I happened to go past one of the secondhand shops and went inside just to look.

That is just one incredible disk. :tup:tup

That is just one incredible disk. :tup:tup

In total agreement! I still have the double LP original and am still trying to find differences with the CD reissue. Understood there were some variations.

The session is one of the very, very best from the Master!

I preordered "The Complete Red Heads" on Jazz Oracle. I have most of it here and there, but since I've bought every Jazz Oracle so far, and since they've trounced other issues of the same mateiral I have, it was a no-brainer! Great music from Red Nichols, Miff Mole, et al.

Just picked up today:

d50490xj8d1.jpg

Incredible! Dang, I *love* this stuff! I already have Miles Smiles and E.S.P, so I kind of knew what to expect, but there are a lot of surprises on this one.

I keep thinking I should have just bought the box set instead of slowing aquiring the individual CDs, but it is kind of fun picking up a new one every few weeks.

A rare mid-week trip to the shops led to:

Charlie Haden and John Taylor - Nightfall. A favourite bass player and piano player together! Bliss!

naimcd077.JPG

An odd compilation of early Fleetwood Mac stuff...a result of hearing a track on Paul Jones' blues programme a few days back:

jumpingshadows.jpg

and

The newly issued fourth volume of Chandos' wonderful Frank Bridge series...a strange obsession of mine.

CHAN%2010188.jpeg

Just as well they normally send me down the salt mines on week days.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Picked up two great live sax/organ dates yesterday at the Border's Outlet:

Fried Buzzard: Lou Donaldson (as), Bill Hardman (tp), Billy Gardner (organ), Warren Stephens (guitar), and Leo Morris/Idris Muhammad (drums).

Some pretty funny Lou Donaldson stage patter ...

Live! In Chicago: Gene Ammons (ts), Eddie Buster (organ), and Gerald Donovan (drums).

I haven't had a chance to listen to either all the way through yet, but so far, so GOOD!

Picked up three on EMusic from The Anthony Braxton Quartet:

Birmingham 1985

London 1985

Coventry 1985

This classic group features Marilyn Crispell (piano), Mark Dresser (bass), and Gerry Hemingway (percussion)

I'm diggin' 'em!

:tup

Edited by gdogus