tonym

What music did you buy today?

8,007 posts in this topic

On 16.11.2019 at 11:29 AM, erwbol said:

UVJZ10168-1.jpg

👍Classic👍 ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, felser said:

Love that Abrams set.  One of his very best and needs CD reissue.

I haven't even had an opportunity to listen to it yet. :tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

meters~~~~~_gettingfu_101b.jpg

Looked to see, before ordering, how much Meters I had on (legit) CD and was shocked/horrified to find out that all I had was LPs and 45s. A damn good number of those,. but no CDs??? WTF?!?!?!?

Anyway, looks to be a dream set, and this outfit is legit AFAIK, so "problem" solved.

https://soulmusic.com/article/soulmusic-records-meters-gettin-funkier-all-time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good, but I found the Reprise and Warner material is tame in comparison to the Josie recordings. There was a double CD on Charly that is enough for me. The first two CDs of this box, that's the real thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the whole, yeah, but there's enough spread across the later albums (especially Rejuvenation) that make me happy to get them on CD in a packaging such as this.

AFAIC, Zig is one of the greatest drummers of the 20th Century. He was one of the main guys to get my head out of my ass about the whole "swing is a jazz thing" nonsense. No - swing is a human thing, period, and New Orleans swing only sometimes occurs in "jazz" (and sometimes not there at all!)

Zig...that shit runs deep! He wasn't the first, nor will he be the last. But he was one who grabbed me and pulled me into it all the way.

(Al Jackson, that's another one...the list goes on...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JSngry said:

meters~~~~~_gettingfu_101b.jpg

Looked to see, before ordering, how much Meters I had on (legit) CD and was shocked/horrified to find out that all I had was LPs and 45s. A damn good number of those,. but no CDs??? WTF?!?!?!?

Anyway, looks to be a dream set, and this outfit is legit AFAIK, so "problem" solved.

https://soulmusic.com/article/soulmusic-records-meters-gettin-funkier-all-time

Definitely legit label. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found these CDs today during a lunchtime record store run:

- Kenny Barron Quintet - Concentric Circles (Blue Note)

- Harold Danko - New Autumn (SteepleChase)

- Harold Danko - Nightscapes (SteepleChase)

- Chico Freeman Quintet with Arthur Blythe - Focus (Contemporary)

- "Papa" Jo Jones - Jo Jones Special (Fresh Sound / Vanguard) -- with Lucky Thompson :) 

- Nicholas Payton - Sonic Trance (Warner Brothers)

- Sarah Vaughan - I Love Brazil (Pablo)

The bottoming-out of the CD market continues. I got all these at absurdly low prices, none more than $3.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hank Mobley "A Slice of the Top" EMI Japan CD ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Found these CDs today during a lunchtime record store run:

- Kenny Barron Quintet - Concentric Circles (Blue Note)

- Harold Danko - New Autumn (SteepleChase)

- Harold Danko - Nightscapes (SteepleChase)

- Chico Freeman Quintet with Arthur Blythe - Focus (Contemporary)

- "Papa" Jo Jones - Jo Jones Special (Fresh Sound / Vanguard) -- with Lucky Thompson :) 

- Nicholas Payton - Sonic Trance (Warner Brothers)

- Sarah Vaughan - I Love Brazil (Pablo)

The bottoming-out of the CD market continues. I got all these at absurdly low prices, none more than $3.

 

At what store? I need to pay a visit there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

At what store? I need to pay a visit there.

Wax 'n' Facts in the Little Five Points neighborhood in Atlanta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Wax 'n' Facts in the Little Five Points neighborhood in Atlanta.

 

Thanks, but a little out of the way for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Thanks, but a little out of the way for me.

If you're ever in town, it's worth a look. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t had much luck finding CDs at Wax ‘n Facts in recent years, but always find some LPs that haven’t been reissued on CDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henry Cow Complete recordings Box Set

Francois Carrier with Alexander Hawkins, John Edwards & Michel Lambert: Nirguna 2 CD set - recorded live @ The Vortex in 2017

Rodrigo Amado Trio - Summer Bummer

two of the recent Dave Rempis CD’s - 2 CD set from quartet with Nate Wooley, Pascal Niggenkemper & Chris Corsano & 1 CD release with quartet with Joshua Abrams, Jim Baker & Avyreel Ra

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juan Vinuesa Jazz Quartet: Blue Shots From Chicago

Sam Rivers Quintet: Zenith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

265.jpg266.jpg267a.jpg

I received these three boxed sets this week. My order dated from back in August 2018!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

I received these three boxed sets this week. My order dated from back in August 2018!!!

Well worth the wait though! You're now awash in "new" music. Enjoy! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a STILL SEALED copy of this CD at a very reasonable price.

81DPPu4NDtL._SS500_.jpg

RIP Chris Albertson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/12/2019 at 6:32 PM, duaneiac said:

I found a STILL SEALED copy of this CD at a very reasonable price.

81DPPu4NDtL._SS500_.jpg

RIP Chris Albertson.

:tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9a2c370fd0bd9de6cb632e966a7ed77de174d242

At 10 EURO All-in I could not resist ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 Muriel Grossmann CDs

Edited by jlhoots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

R-12680410-1539941522-4447.jpeg.jpg

Found a cheap copy from a reliable German amazon seller - this was offered only for big bucks ever since it went oop.

Edited by mikeweil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ZYX release of Art Tatum Complete Group Masterpieces (6 CD).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slide Hampton - Drum Suite: I'd been curious about this one for years before finding it on Amazon for around $3.50 plus shipping.

Sonny Stitt - I Should Care: I've been listening to a ton of Stitt and found this on eBay for around $4 with free shipping.

For a whopping $10.70, I found these yesterday:

Charles Earland - The Almighty Burner

Art Tatum - California Melodies

Guillermo Klein - Una Nave

Christian McBride - A Family Affair

Oscar Peterson - Saturday Night at the Blue Note

Johnny Dodds - Blue Clarinet Stomp

Mark Whitfield - 7th Ave Stroll

Bob Mintzer - Spectrum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.