• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up the following LPs at estate sales:

Bird with the Herd - 1951

Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66

Look Around - Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66

Nancy Wilson - A Touch of Today and Easy.  These are not considered great albums so I may part with them  

20 minutes ago, Brad said:

Picked up the following LPs at estate sales:

Bird with the Herd - 1951

Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66

Look Around - Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66

Nancy Wilson - A Touch of Today and Easy.  These are not considered great albums so I may part with them  

Except Bird & The Herd, right? That is a great album.

I'd recommend not jumping to too hasty of a conclusion on the Nancy wilson records. some of them sound better to me as they years go by than they did at first listen.

The thing about them is that even when they're mostly standards, and have big-band backing, very few of them are really "jazz" records, they're more "jazzy-pop". Once I adjusted my perspective accordingly, I started enjoying them more.

No matter, if you ever come across a copy of TLC, carpe diem. That one is a real gem, period!

Tender_Loving_Care_Cover.jpg

Buster Williams and Shelley Manne!

That's such a soulful song, no matter who does it.

On 2/23/2020 at 0:24 AM, JSngry said:

I'd recommend not jumping to too hasty of a conclusion on the Nancy wilson records. some of them sound better to me as they years go by than they did at first listen.

The thing about them is that even when they're mostly standards, and have big-band backing, very few of them are really "jazz" records, they're more "jazzy-pop". Once I adjusted my perspective accordingly, I started enjoying them more.

No matter, if you ever come across a copy of TLC, carpe diem. That one is a real gem, period!

Tender_Loving_Care_Cover.jpg

Buster Williams and Shelley Manne!

That's such a soulful song, no matter who does it.

I listened to A Touch of Today this morning. It’s a record of pop covers, or jazzy pop as you put it. Nothing flashy but her voice makes the record. I’d hesitate to label it as easy listening. After all, it is Nancy Wilson!

• 2 weeks later...

Made a trip this afternoon to support a couple of local businesses I love, included Landlocked Music CDs and Vinyl—they’ll be closing indefinitely as of tomorrow, like a number of other shops in town. Picked up a used copy of this:

R-13591116-1557088309-6375.jpeg.jpg

... as well as this new release by Shabaka and the Ancestors:

91SZG2h9DnL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Made a trip this afternoon to support a couple of local businesses I love, included Landlocked Music CDs and Vinyl—they’ll be closing indefinitely as of tomorrow, like a number of other shops in town. Picked up a used copy of this:

R-13591116-1557088309-6375.jpeg.jpg

... as well as this new release by Shabaka and the Ancestors:

91SZG2h9DnL._SS500_.jpg

I just bought the Shabaka CD too.

Thankful that records last longer than the people who make them (and the people who buy them and, for that matter, sell them), as well as for the gosdarn internet, which might do it's part to keep those records alive in the market place, all of which has been said in light of last night's very simple Dusty Groove order:

Item #1:

R-5126831-1388959717-5951.jpeg.jpg

R-5126831-1534802947-9911.jpeg.jpg

Item #2:

R-12842938-1543017377-5985.jpeg.jpg

R-12842938-1543017424-8283.jpeg.jpg

I mean, hell, music, right? It's endless!