What music did you buy today?

tonym

Earlier today, I went to a local record shop.  Record Store Day and all.  ... Not that I really need an excuse to go to a record store. ;) 

Strangely, nothing was really grabbing me, saying, "Take me home!"  So I was about to leave.  ... On the way out, I decided to poke around in the dollar bins.  Usually, I can find an LP or two in there as a consolation prize. 

Good call.  Very, very good call.  There, amongst the Linda Ronstadts and John Denvers and Trini Lopezes, I found some really interesting stuff.  ... So I thought I'd share.  Not many folks would appreciate these particular sorts of finds, but YOU -- my online jazz amigos -- can.   

20200829-193148.jpg

20200829-193422.jpg

20200829-193311.jpg

20200829-193531.jpg

Not a bad haul for 30 bucks, eh?

By the way, most of the early jazz and swing records were formerly the property of one Grady Gilkey of Chicago.  (I only know because he put an ownership sticker on the vinyl labels.)  Thank you, Grady.  I'll take good care of 'em for you.

Edited by HutchFan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

Very impressive. 

Was not familiar with the Willis Jackson/Groove Holmes LP.  Apparently, this set also turns up as Live on Stage (The Definitive Black & Blue Sessions), so I'll check it out that way.

Yessir!  I just took a look at the back of the LP jacket, and it says that was recorded in Chateauneuf du Pape, France

So that definitely tracks as a joint Black & Blue/Muse deal. :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

5 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Daniel - That Bob Mover CD with Tom Harrell is a good one.  :tup 

Oh yeah? Will be very interesting to hear it. Did you get the CD yourself, or do you have this on LP? I don't have much Bob Mover at all, but I liked his playing on a Chet Baker bootleg I heard some 20 years ago and always planned to seek out more some day. 

9 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Oh yeah? Will be very interesting to hear it. Did you get the CD yourself, or do you have this on LP? I don't have much Bob Mover at all, but I liked his playing on a Chet Baker bootleg I heard some 20 years ago and always planned to seek out more some day. 

I only have a blogosphere-sourced needle-drop DL from many years ago.  :P 

I do have Mover's self-titled LP on Vanguard that came out in the same year as On the Move.   

But I think the Choice record is better.  Tom Harrell's presence is a big plus.   

I finally broke down and ordered another CD copy of the Jazz Messenger's "At the Cafe Bohemia Vol. 2". No, this isn't going to be the first time I've heard this. Somehow, I managed to lose this disc along the way. It's been many years since I've spun it and I wanted to hear it again (with the release of "Just Coolin'") so it is time to reacquire this date. I think I let someone borrow it and that person never gave it back. I only realized that I didn't have it when I saw that it wasn't in my music library on my PC.

Went to have lunch with my wife at the park close to her job in OC and decided to stop at a record store nearby to see if they still had the Oliver Nelson big band mosaic I saw on the wall probably a year ago. This is a predominantly vinyl shop so I thought they might be affordable since it was cds. They still had it and next to it Gerald Wilson’s mosaic set. They had to get a ladder to see how much it was, turns out it was priced at $60. Asked about the Gerald Wilson and was told $60 also but they would cut me a deal if I bought both and take $100 for both. Now I own both. 

• 2 weeks later...

All by 8 o'clock on a Sunday morning, impressive! Nice selection.  'Black Palladins' is such a great album. Honest Jons? 

Yesterday...all online

Elvin Jones - Live At The Lighthouse. LP,  been meaning to buy this for ages. Yesterday was the day.

Emma Jane Thackeray - Um Yang. 12" EP, enjoyed her previous releases and this sounded great on the radio

Hozan Yamamoto - Ginkai.  One of my favourite albums ever. CD to back up my LP and to hear if it works any better as one 'suite'

Well... in the last 24 hours. 

HJs Coal Drop, again, yes. They have a really impressive amount of stock for such a tiny shop.hya

Black Paladins is one of my all time favourites of this era. I was pleased to find it in the wild, even in a slightly rough copy.

i love that Elvin. One of the best covers of any jazz LP too. The late Steve Grossman tearing it up. 

The Yamamoto sounds interesting. I’ll nose that one out.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Elvin Jones - Live At The Lighthouse. LP,  been meaning to buy this for ages. Yesterday was the day.

Good as that double LP is, this is one where the two separate CDs (and the Mosaic)  have a strong edge with the excellent additional tracks. Maybe a Tone Poet issue on 3LPs is in order?

16 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Good as that double LP is, this is one where the two separate CDs (and the Mosaic)  have a strong edge with the excellent additional tracks. Maybe a Tone Poet issue on 3LPs is in order?

Not until my 2LPs have at least arrived! Would love the Elvin Mosaic

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Well... in the last 24 hours. 

HJs Coal Drop, again, yes. They have a really impressive amount of stock for such a tiny shop.

Looks like they have restocked too. Don't remember LRG being there on my last visit

Worth picking up the 2 CDs if you can find them around. Those were two of the earliest Blue Note CDs I ever bought - at the huge Sam The Record Man Store in Toronto in the longbox format. On the day I picked those up I thought all my Xmases had come at once as they were $Cdn for £ (;), nothing changes) and I also picked up a couple of Andrew Hills and Mobley’s ‘No Room For Squares’. Still have them.

My only regret with the Elvin Mosaic is that it didn’t also come out in LP format.

Edited by sidewinder

Pre-ordered this set due for a 10/23 release --

3857877-2603175.jpg?ae=1415074141

CROOKED PIECE OF TIME: THE ATLANTIC & ASYLUM ALBUMS is a limited edition, 7-CD boxed set that includes every studio album John Prine recorded between his debut in 1971 and 1980, presented in mini-LP sleeves: John Prine (1971), Diamonds In The Rough (1972), Sweet Revenge (1973), Common Sense (1975), Bruised Orange (1978), Pink Cadillac (1979) and Storm Windows (1980). The clamshell box also contains poster inserts and a 20-page booklet with new liner notes written by acclaimed music journalist David Fricke. The cover painting, commissioned especially for the set, is by artist Joshua Petker and is based on a photo of Prine taken by Jim Shea.

Taking its name from a song on Bruised Orange, CROOKED PIECE OF TIME represents an essential and timeless American songbook and includes tracks that have become modern-day folk and country standards like: “Hello In There,” “Sam Stone,” “Illegal Smile,” “Angel From Montgomery,” “Paradise” and “That’s The Way The World Goes Round.” The expansive collection also contains favorites like: “Far From Me,” “Dear Abby,” “Christmas In Prison,” “Fish and Whistle” and “Automobile.”

• 2 weeks later...