• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I schliess mi aun.

Unser fümfundzwanzigsts is next jahr.

On 25.8.2021 at 9:49 PM, soulpope said:

Ois guade euch beiden 🍾🥂🍾 ....

Danke Dir sehr !

He super oder "leiwaund" wie wir in Wien sagen. Und für einen Wiesbadner schreibst Du ein tolles Wienerisch ! Ja, unsere Frauen, sie leben hoch ! 

I'm in Anderson, SC today, and I visited Rainbow Records, a local shop. Picked up a few nice items:

71zWwEJm7qL._SY400_.jpg

Vinyl. Used copy of the recent reissue -- but NM condition. Only $9.99 :g

517cOf2A86L._SY400_.jpg

2 LPs. Early Maynard.

71B-xZ4LyyL._SS400_.jpg

CD. Always good to add more Pat Martino to the collection.

Edited by HutchFan

1 minute ago, Rabshakeh said:

Bought today from Soul Brother in South London.

R-3991096-1351609193-1887.jpeg.jpg

R-13494688-1555262504-3921.jpeg.jpg

That's a trek. Only made it the once to find the LPs weren't on display, only CDs. I had to try and tell them what I was interested in so they could get them from the back room. 

They still do this?

I don't know! There were CDs and LPs. The good stuff was in baskets at foot level below the display area in the jazz area in the front, and in the store room in the back, which they were happy for me to roam around, but which was in no apparent order. Eventually I found the seam I wanted. It was a schlep, but the price was right and I was happy with what I found. 

It was a total mess! But they seemed very proud of what they had there. 

The best stuff involved squatting down in the area right in front on the till. Hard on the knees, but as I say above, I'm happy with the trip. The WSQ in particular is much better on vinyl.

When I get the odd day off I like to make trips. My next plan is to revisit Alan's in Finchley, where I haven't been in a couple of years.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

The best stuff involved squatting down in the area right in front on the till. Hard on the knees, but as I say above, I'm happy with the trip. The WSQ in particular is much better on vinyl.

So true. :tup

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

When I get the odd day off I like to make trips. My next plan is to revisit Alan's in Finchley, where I haven't been in a couple of years.

There wasn't any vinyl out except on the walls when I went on my day off trip  (this was some years ago). Combined it with a trip to the Putney Debates church nearby which was also disappointing. That's sarf of the river for you.

I've never been to Alan's, it's almost reached mythic status!

Last time I was at Soul Brother was well over 10 years ago, with the racks well stocked with second hand jazz. At the time they had quite a number of original Blue Notes, especially Libertys. The main problem seemed to be finding somewhere to park my car near there. Wouldn’t even consider doing that journey by car now !

9 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I wasn't invited into the back room...

Inner Inner Sanctum?

Edited by sidewinder

10 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That's a trek. Only made it the once to find the LPs weren't on display, only CDs. I had to try and tell them what I was interested in so they could get them from the back room. 

They still do this?

I heard the Lone-Lee on radio in 1977 when it came out. We had that fantastic weekly jazz on radio on Ö3 (Jazz Shop)  and the guy who run it was the legendary Herwig Wurzer, something like an austrian version of Symphony Sid, the voice  in the night with his special style of hip talking. I had it on tape and years after that wanted to buy it but it was no longer as CD on Amazone, and the only version I found on discogs was LP, so my wife bought it for me for father´s day two years ago.....

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I've never been to Alan's, it's almost reached mythic status!

It's not ... high end. A lot of water damaged, torn or scratched stock, in cardboard boxes. In jazz terms, Alan tends to stock Chicago stuff, trad, soul jazz and "mainstream" as that term used to be used. It's that kind of place. The price is right, stock turns over quickly and Alan is incredibly nice. It's a sort of antidote to shops like Stranger Than Paradise on Mare Street where everything's an ultra fashionable shrink-wrapped reissue starting at £40. Plus, it isn't quite as grotty as Merlin's (no mold / cooking fat, etc).

Last time I was there I bought a wretched quality Electrifying Eddie Harris and a Lockjaw and Griffin at Minton's twofer, but also got lucky and chanced upon an underpriced Residuals by Hemphill, in good shape.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Thanks. Mythic status deserved by the sounds of things. Merlin's ha! I found a nice Shirley Scott in my only trip there, no added extras sadly.

I've been wondering about. trip to Stranger Than Paradise, not sure I have the necessary Hackney attributes any more. I'm on their mailing list and their pricing's a touch rich too

Edited by mjazzg

41 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I've been wondering about. trip to Stranger Than Paradise, not sure I have the necessary Hackney attributes any more. I'm on their mailing list and their pricing's a touch rich too

It's what you'd imagine. It's in a room in the middle of a new build that does brunch, presumably to make the freehold more marketable in future. It's only new vinyl. All very "curated" etc etc.

Shame that this old Camden Town outlet of HJs is now ancient history. I’m sure that it would have kept most of us on this thread very happy, in its circa 1980 vintage. Spent many a fond hour in there ‘back in the day’ and it was within easy walking distance !  Punk and reggae on the ground floor, honking and shrieking jazz in the basement.

http://camdennewjournal.com/article/vinyl-destination

An eventful locale. Only many years later did I find out that the upstairs flat was (years earlier) the location for the ‘Kaleidophon’ studio of Delia Derbyshire, David Vorhaus and Brian Hodgson with ‘White Noise - An Electric Storm’ being conceived there.

Edited by sidewinder

33 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I was about 5 years behind you. Think it was Rhythm Records by then? Jazz still downstairs.

Yes, that’s it - Rhythm Records from the early 80s. By pure chance I happened to call for the first time in decades during the 2000s, literally days before they closed it for good. Almost bare racks. Still recognisable layout from the old HJs though. By some fluke amongst the few LPs they still had on sale was a Sonny Fortune Strata-East for a fiver. I wonder if they were doing a last minute clearance of very old stock from the cupboards?

Sorry to see it go. A sad sight though at the end. Some tat girls clothing and “accessories” shop for Amy Winehouse wannabees moved in after that I think (like seemingly 99.99% of that neighbourhood now).:rolleyes:

Edited by sidewinder