What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got the new reissues of Tshona! by Pat Matshikiza and Kippie Moketsi and Shrimp Boats by Lionel Pillay and Basil Coetzee, both second hand and apparently never played.

Someone must have got them for a birthday present or something and taken them straight back to the shops. 

Anyway, a good lunch break.

26 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Just got the new reissues of Tshona! by Pat Matshikiza and Kippie Moketsi and Shrimp Boats by Lionel Pillay and Basil Coetzee, both second hand and apparently never played.

Someone must have got them for a birthday present or something and taken them straight back to the shops. 

Or review copies? Nothing better than a Friday lunchtime record shop, especially when it turns up such gems.  You're lucky to have a shop in easy striking distance of work (or home). And now you won't feel the need to queue up tomorrow for RSD :rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Nice score!  :tup 

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Or review copies? Nothing better than a Friday lunchtime record shop, especially when it turns up such gems.  You're lucky to have a shop in easy striking distance of work (or home). 

It's Flashbacks Essex Road. No one's favourite record store, but better than many, and you sometimes find some good stuff. I'm still jealous of the Tottenham Lane shop, though.

Edited by Rabshakeh

31 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's Flashbacks Essex Road. Boone's favourite record store, but better than many, and you sometimes find some good stuff. I'm still jealous of the Tottenham Lane shop, though.

That was my local for a good while and I try and pop in if I'm in the area as often something worth looking at. Their Crouch End shop is now nearer. Tottenham Lane is good but getting a bit pricier I think

edit to add: the one I wish I lived or worked close by is Atlantis who seem to have a never ending supply of interesting new stock if instagram's anything to go by

Edited by mjazzg

842413.jpg?cb=1650980663

105815.jpg?cb=1651069404

Two vinyl boxed sets. Already had the music on other media but the Mulligan/Baker on a 4cd PD set by Lone Hill Set. Never liked the sound nor the packaging. Always had a special bond with the Mulligan/Baker Quartet as my father used to play his Best Of cd compilation a lot!

The Tatum I already had on cd in separate volumes. Call me a sentimental fool but this is music I'd like to hear on vinyl. The volumes with Eldridge, Carter, DeFranco and Webster are all favorites of mine. The trio with Callender and Jo Jones is desert island material. Managed to get it in a neat state for 60 euros including shipping. 

5 minutes ago, soulpope said:

The Bobby Bradford platter being an underappreciated gem ....

Ever since I got to know him trough his ‘60’s stuff with John Carter I consider myself a fan of this underrated musician.

28 minutes ago, Pim said:

Ever since I got to know him trough his ‘60’s stuff with John Carter I consider myself a fan of this underrated musician.

Btw phenomenal bass playing by Mark Dresser + Roberto Miranda to be heard on this platter 

Edited by soulpope