tonym

What music did you buy today?

8,647 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Niko said:

:) I got the other five releases from the 80th birthday celebration at TUM but am still resisting here... and I do have to say that the first box I got, the one with Laswell and Graves, is still my favorite by far, followed by the Chicago Symphonies... the remainder is also fine, but it's a lot of cds even without the string quartet box

I have the others too and agree about the Laswell/Graves set although the solo set is special too.  I haven't gone for the drummers duets as I have a number of earlier releases with that format.  I thought the String Qts would be something different, that was my self-justification anyway :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roy Brooks: Ethnic Expressions, Live At Small's Paradise NYC (Japanese CD issue)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Primary

always happy to add a new Mangelsdorff to the collection but the clincher is the track by Zagreb Jazz Quartet whose album "With Pain I was Born" is a particular favourite.  thanks @Rabshakehfor posting this recently.

Also looking forward to collecting these from Honest Jon's this week

Primary

 

Primary

Primary

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

always happy to add a new Mangelsdorff to the collection but the clincher is the track by Zagreb Jazz Quartet whose album "With Pain I was Born" is a particular favourite.  thanks @Rabshakehfor posting this recently.

Also looking forward to collecting these from Honest Jon's this week

Primary

 

Primary

Primary

 

I'll check out that Zaghreb record as the track was strong.

Who is Kleinschuster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'll check out that Zaghreb record as the track was strong.

Who is Kleinschuster?

From the blurb...the samples sound great

" Recorded at the ORF studios in Vienna, where trombonist Erich Kleinschuster ran a very tight house band, a glittering array of guest leaders "

and

" Erich Kleinschuster’s projects and initiatives played a vital role in establishing a spiritual home for jazz in Vienna. The founding of his sextet in 1966 and, in 1968, a jazz department at the Vienna Conservatory, were catalysts for a scene that attracted international stars as well as nurturing the careers of home-grown virtuosos. Many jazz exiles, admired in Europe as they never were in the United States, settled for long periods, carving out new lives on the continent. The recordings in this series – many only recently discovered and presented for their first time on these vinyl editions – provide an illuminating and long overdue testament to one of the unsung forces of modern jazz in Europe."

I suspect @soulpopemight be able to help us?

Edited by mjazzg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The tracks there were previously issued on a couple of GermanAustrian CDs which are difficult to get hold of (and which have been the subject of discussion on this board). Radio material from ORF but of a very good quality and well recorded.

Wallen Bink were offering these 3 sets as a ‘discounted’ bundle.

Updated to say just put in my order too as I had my eye on these. The ‘bundle’ purchase option (in fact all purchase options ) have for some reason suddenly disappeared from the WB site. May be a glitch, a temporary restock/repress or WB on holiday perhaps but not taking any chances so HJ via Royal Mail it is.

Those SABA singles they have put out look pretty cool too.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

From the blurb...the samples sound great

" Recorded at the ORF studios in Vienna, where trombonist Erich Kleinschuster ran a very tight house band, a glittering array of guest leaders "

and

" Erich Kleinschuster’s projects and initiatives played a vital role in establishing a spiritual home for jazz in Vienna. The founding of his sextet in 1966 and, in 1968, a jazz department at the Vienna Conservatory, were catalysts for a scene that attracted international stars as well as nurturing the careers of home-grown virtuosos. Many jazz exiles, admired in Europe as they never were in the United States, settled for long periods, carving out new lives on the continent. The recordings in this series – many only recently discovered and presented for their first time on these vinyl editions – provide an illuminating and long overdue testament to one of the unsung forces of modern jazz in Europe."

I suspect @soulpopemight be able to help us?

Erich Kleinschuster was awell known Austrian trombone player .... he had an own "Jazz Show" on Austrian Radio from the mid60s onwards and was in the position to feature alongside his regular Sextet guest stars like Joe Henderson, Charles Tolliver, Benny Bailey to name a few .... some of these sessions were issued on CD ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Erich Kleinschuster was awell known Austrian trombone player .... he had an own "Jazz Show" on Austrian Radio from the mid60s onwards and was in the position to feature alongside his regular Sextet guest stars like Joe Henderson, Charles Tolliver, Benny Bailey to name a few .... some of these sessions were issued on CD ....

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Erich Kleinschuster was awell known Austrian trombone player .... he had an own "Jazz Show" on Austrian Radio from the mid60s onwards and was in the position to feature alongside his regular Sextet guest stars like Joe Henderson, Charles Tolliver, Benny Bailey to name a few .... some of these sessions were issued on CD ....

I know him from the Art Farmer ‘Gentle Eyes’ on Mainstream. In fact, ‘Soulsides’ from that session is also included in a new version on the double album with Art Farmer.

Those CDs weren’t cheap when they came out and I only ever saw one the once over here. Now pretty well impossible to get - I’ve kept searching. Problem solved now though !

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Erich Kleinschuster was awell known Austrian trombone player .... he had an own "Jazz Show" on Austrian Radio from the mid60s onwards and was in the position to feature alongside his regular Sextet guest stars like Joe Henderson, Charles Tolliver, Benny Bailey to name a few .... some of these sessions were issued on CD ....

I have those CDs. Like them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From "da bastards", including some preorders:

riley_howar_journalfo_101b.jpg  nakamu_shin_evolution_101b.jpg

haden_charl_aslongast_101b.jpg  tapsco_hora_quintet~~_101b.jpg

greene_burt_oneworldm_101b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this is one of those "almost embarrassed to say" posts. :)

I was reading a review of one of Art Tatum's group sessions recordings - the one with DeFranco - when I realized that I never got around to buying those group sessions. I've onwed and enjoyed the one with Ben Webster for years (on the XRCD) and I always planned to pick up the box set but never got around to it. So yesterday, I finally grabbed 4 or 5 of the group sessions. I'm actually looking forward to finally hearing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dead Horses: Brady Street

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9.8.2022 at 4:21 AM, T.D. said:

 

haden_charl_aslongast_101b.jpg

As good as it gets ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13-8-2022 at 8:43 PM, bresna said:

So this is one of those "almost embarrassed to say" posts. :)

I was reading a review of one of Art Tatum's group sessions recordings - the one with DeFranco - when I realized that I never got around to buying those group sessions. I've onwed and enjoyed the one with Ben Webster for years (on the XRCD) and I always planned to pick up the box set but never got around to it. So yesterday, I finally grabbed 4 or 5 of the group sessions. I'm actually looking forward to finally hearing them.

They are great, all of them. My favorites are the one with Webster, Benny Carter and Eldridge. But the one that tops them all for me is the trio session with Callender and Jones. Would loved to have heard Tatum play more in this kind of setting with bass and drums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm digging into Cleo Laine's back-catalog:

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Cleo-Laine-Soliloquy.jpg

OTgtNDczNi5qcGVn.jpeg

Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

I think Laine and her husband, John Dankworth, made some interesting and unique music.  I like how they often used poetry as a jumping-off point.  Of course, that's been done many times before, but not exactly with their combination of ingredients.  Their music is not exactly jazz.  It's not exactly art songs.  It's not exactly theater singing or cabaret.  It's not exactly pop.  It's an odd-but-pleasing mix of all of them, particularly during their peak years. (And what exactly were those 'peak years'?  The 60s and early-70s, I think -- but I'm not sure.  That's something I'm figuring out now.)  Anyway, as someone who's just discovering their music, it's sideways and unexpected.  Good fun.

All of these LP were very inexpensive.  Apparently, Laine's stock isn't on the rise with others as much as it is with me. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I'm digging into Cleo Laine's back-catalog:

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Cleo-Laine-Soliloquy.jpg

OTgtNDczNi5qcGVn.jpeg

Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

I think Laine and her husband, John Dankworth, made some interesting and unique music.  I like how they often used poetry as a jumping-off point.  Of course, that's been done many times before, but not exactly with their combination of ingredients.  Their music is not exactly jazz.  It's not exactly art songs.  It's not exactly theater singing or cabaret.  It's not exactly pop.  It's an odd-but-pleasing mix of all of them, particularly during their peak years. (And what exactly were those 'peak years'?  The 60s and early-70s, I think -- but I'm not sure.  That's something I'm figuring out now.)  Anyway, as someone who's just discovering their music, it's sideways and unexpected.  Good fun.

All of these LP were very inexpensive.  Apparently, Laine's stock isn't on the rise with others as much as it is with me. 

 

Re your comment "their music is not exactly jazz", Dankworth and Laine had a big following in this country in the 60s. A colleague who heard me playing this

Cannonball_Adderley_Quintet_in_Chicago.j

remarked, "I don't like this neurotic jazz. I prefer Cleo Laine and John Dankworth". :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BillF said:

Re your comment "their music is not exactly jazz", Dankworth and Laine had a big following in this country in the 60s. A colleague who heard me playing this remarked, "I don't like this neurotic jazz. I prefer Cleo Laine and John Dankworth". :lol:

That's funny!  I never in a million years could imagine Cannonball's music as "neurotic"!  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

That's funny!  I never in a million years could imagine Cannonball's music as "neurotic"!  

 

There's a deep and recurring undercurrent of class/race/etc conflicts/unfamilarities/insecurities/etc. in the "neurotic" comments such as that one, and it is still very much alive and well, not just in jazz, but everywhere we go here in the 21st Century. Sometimes there's even hostility attached to it, unwittingly or otherwise. And it goes the other way too.

Humans are their own worst enemies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

There's a deep and recurring undercurrent of class/race/etc conflicts/unfamilarities/insecurities/etc. in the "neurotic" comments such as that one, and it is still very much alive and well, not just in jazz, but everywhere we go here in the 21st Century. Sometimes there's even hostility attached to it, unwittingly or otherwise. And it goes the other way too.

You'll get no disagreement from me on that.  But I would suggest that there's an element of laziness involved too.

It's like going to eat at restaurant specializing in a cuisine that's new to you.  It's different; therefore, it tastes "bad" -- even though you have no real understanding of it.  It's a sort of parochialism, and it's lazy.

By the way, I'm not suggesting that everyone should like everything.  I'm only suggesting that it's better to make informed judgments, approach things with an element of openness and curiosity.  Some things will "take," and some things won't.  But, in either case, we won't be making judgments based on complete ignorance.

Calling Cannonball "neurotic"?  That's ignorant.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put laziness and ignorance in the same taxonomy. And somewhere in there is fear.

I mean, it's one thing to not like something. It's another to not like it AND not own your dislike AND the (bonus points!!!) recognize that hey, what's behind all of this.

Adjective are too often projectiles of projections!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.