*** Eric Dolphy ***

Rooster_Ties

I think my favorite Dolphy has to be his incredible playing on the Great Concert of Charles Mingus. His startling bass clarinet solo on Fables of Faubus, following one of Mingus' greatest recorded bass solos, is among my highlights in all music.

As for Booker Little, I prefer his final two albums as a leader, Out Front (with Dolphy on Candid) and Victory and Sorrow (on Bethleham). These two both qualify as great.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, for reasons I can't possibly defend, I don't happen to have very much Eric Dolphy. What are your favorites, and why?? (And don't just say "get the whole Prestige box set!!", cuz I'm not sure I'm ready to take that leap yet, especially with $$$ tight at the moment.)

I think my entire Dolphy collection (thus far) consists of the following, which I have ranked in terms of how much I like them...

1. Iron Man (mine is on Celluloid CD circa early 1990's, but what is the best/most-complete version of this material?)

2. The Illinois Concert (BN) / Out to Lunch (BN) / Other Aspects (BN)

3. Outward Bound (OJC)

4. Last Date (can't remember if I still have this, but I know I had it at one time, maybe still do?)

Getting back to "Iron Man" - is there a complete "Iron Man" sessions release anywhere?? I know that there are at least a couple more tracks from this session (these sessions?) beyond what's on my CD, which I think only has 5 tracks. Is there any single CD that collects all the "Iron Man"-related tracks that have Woody Shaw on them?? Also, my "Iron Man" CD is somewhat lacking in the sonics department - is it just the material, or the crappy early 90's issue I have??

Me not like. :tdown

I hope no one's mentioned this yet but, if you dig Dolphy, you owe it to yourself to hunt down the Rhapsody Films VHS release of the 1964 Oslo, Norway performance by the Mingus group. It's a relatively famous scene, so forgive me if I'm repeating what everyone already knows, but Eric takes such a long bass clarinet solo at one point that Charles simply picks up Eric's mic and moves it over to Clifford Jordan. It's really funny but, that aside, Dolphy is seriously on any serious fan needs this footage. I got my copy at Jazz Roecord Mart years ago. I assume it's still in print......

• 9 months later...

Mal Waldron's The Quest often sneaks its way into the player. It features another fine Booker; Mr. Ervin on tenor. I can't really describe the why other than it's an immensely satisfying session.

I'm surprised that this session didn't get more love in this thread. I understand that this is a Dolphy thread in the strict sense but The Quest is a really special date and one I often compare to Roy Haynes Out of the Afternoon. I imagine this is because (1) Haynes and Persip have similar styles, (2) both dates teeter playfully on this inside/outside fence, and (3) like Brownie said regarding Out of the Afternoon in another thread, "everything clicked."

The Quest is my favorite long-player. Easily. Every time I put on--hell, every time I look at the jacket!--I feel like I'm in the presence of something historically significant. If you haven't yet, do yourself a favor and acquaint youself with this music.

d61808x7492.jpg

Edited by Brandon Burke

Mal Waldron's The Quest

I'm surprised that this session didn't get more love in this thread.

it has it's own thread...

(and deserves the love)

yup yup yup! one of the best albums with Dolphy involved.

To stress Agustín's love for John Lewis' "The Wonderful World of Jazz", let me mention it again. Some beautiful playing by others, such as Paul Gonsalves, Herb Pomery and Jim Hall.

ubu

To stress Agustín's love for John Lewis' "The Wonderful World of Jazz", let me mention it again. Some beautiful playing by others, such as Paul Gonsalves, Herb Pomery and Jim Hall.

ubu

Wait a minute:

Did you

a ) nail that one in the Bonus Disc....?

b ) or have you been sneaking there?

If

a ) POST your guesses!!! :rmad:

b ) ROT down in hell!!! :angry:

:g:g:g

(just kidding, Flurin)

;)

Edited by EKE BBB

Agus, I did not yet even find the time to listen to your CDs, only started with the first one so far (had to do a radio programme on sunday and was preparing for that, listening some Cecil Taylor, and nothing else...).

However, I will nail that, for sure :g

Love the album! And thanks to you, as I had it on my list, but only after reading your post above, finally bought it!

ubu

However, I will nail that, for sure  :g

Love the album! And thanks to you, as I had it on my list, but only after reading your post above, finally bought it!

ubu

Oooops, I didn´t even realize I recommended that disc months ago! I had supposed you mentioned me because of the BFT... :o

I´m afraid I´ve made a fool of myself.... :(

Anyway, eagerly waiting for your guesses. ^_^

Edited by EKE BBB

• 11 months later...

I'm digging Far Cry and thinking, maybe blasphemously, that I like this a little better than the vols 1 & 2 from the Five Spot. Am I totally offbase here? Maybe it's just a bias for Jaki over Mal, I don't know.

To some degree Out to Lunch has spoiled Eric's other recordings as a leader for me. Not that there isn't lots of great music on those.

Guy

I'm digging Far Cry and thinking, maybe blasphemously, that I like this a little better than the vols 1 & 2 from the Five Spot.  Am I totally offbase here?  Maybe it's just a bias for Jaki over Mal, I don't know.

Guy

It's never blasphemy, Guy. :) We listened to Far Cry just the other day, and both my wife and I enjoyed it very much. Jaki, indeed, plays superbly on it, as usual, and Booker Little too. The Five Spots are great too. Good thing there's no need to choose between them.

My favorite Eric Dolphy recording is often the one I'm listening to, and I've been revisiting a lot of Dolphy lately.

Not much to add, except don't overlook John Lewis's The Wonderful World of Jazz, great album, silly title. I love The Quest, too. But at this point I consider just about everything by Dolphy to be essential.

This thread demonstrates what I love about this forum, because when I get home tonight I'm going to go on a Dolphy spree...

Agreed. Dolphy...

The Quest is one of my favorite Dolphy dates, though praise for it often comes at the expense of many other great records in the Mal Waldron discography, especially trio and solo recordings. You know, Mal was one of the first jazz passings in my (young) life to really have a great effect on me - I was heartbroken. Thank goodness he was so well-recorded throughout his life (and that goes for Dolphy too)!

• 5 months later...

The 10/62 Gaslight date is finally coming out (again):

NEW Eric Dolphy Quintet with Herbie Hancock - Left Alone (Fruit Tree 856) Jan 17

— recorded Oct. 7, 1962 at the Gaslight, New York

— Eric Dolphy (alto saxophone, bass clarinet, flute), Ed Armour (trumpet), Herbie Hancock (piano), Richard Davis (bass), Edgar Bateman (drums), Joe Carrol (vocals on track 4)

I'm really curious to hear it at last. Wish there was a lot more live Dolphy from 1962-63 floating around...