Dizzy Gillespie - On the French Riviera

bebopbob

Was Dizzy Gillespie's early 1960s Philips LP "On the French Riviera" ever issued on compact disc in the US, Japan or elsewhere? If so, is it still available in Europe, Japan, etc. There's no domestic (US) CD listing of it on AMG, Tower Records etc. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it was available at one time (don't recall now whether I saw a domestic or an import), but I can't recall for certain. Someone here will have an answer soon, I'm sure...

Speaking of Dizzy material, here's a great one that I've still not seen on CD:

THE_GREATEST_TRUMPET_OF_THEM_ALL.jpg

It's overdue!!

Was Dizzy Gillespie's early 1960s Philips LP "On the French Riviera" ever issued on compact disc in the US, Japan or elsewhere? If so, is it still available in Europe, Japan, etc. There's no domestic (US) CD listing of it on AMG, Tower Records etc. Thanks.

I have it on a Japanese Philips (822 897-2) that was issued in '86 with an additional track.

Hmmm. . . I've never seen the cd, it's a great lp. I was just looking at a copy of "The Greatest Trumpet of Them All" at the Austin Record Convention Saturday; it was too expensive for me to consider purchasing, but it sure looked as if it sounded great!

Hmmm. . . I've never seen the cd, it's a great lp. I was just looking at a copy of "The Greatest Trumpet of Them All" at the Austin Record Convention Saturday; it was too expensive for me to consider purchasing, but it sure looked as if it sounded great!

Just curious as to how you know it's a great session since you write that the LP was pretty expensive to purchase and there is no record of a CD having ever been issued. I have it on a French Verve LP reissue and while it is somewhat uneven, it does have some excellent tracks.

I' totally in agreement with your comment on the Verve boneheads. After the Charlie Parker Verve box set I thought they would give Dizzy the same complete treatment. But no, they did that 4 CD set called Dizzy's Diamonds. Not Kenny Washington's fault, who did a great job considering the wealth of material.

I think it was the sheer quantity that made them shy away from a complete set. But they could have split it up into several sets featuring his working groups including the big band, special projects, and all star collaborations including sideman dates. They wouldn't have sold less copies than a Nina Simone set.

Edited by mikeweil

I am sure there is a market for 3-CD anthologies like "Dizzy's Diamonds" - although, no, I'm not part of that market.

But what I can't fathom is why "Greatest Trumpet of Them All" has NEVER seen CD reissue while such things as "Dizzy Goes Hollywood" or "Jambo Caribe" have - I mean, they're not complete dreck, but comparatively, they're small potatoes.

And having known some of the folks who were once involved with Verve reissues (who would LOVE to put this stuff out), there must be someone in a higher position who squelches the idea.

Mike

Given the personnel, I've always thought "Greatest" was a little disappointing. (A friend of mine uses the word "deceptive.") But clearly it should have been reissued years ago, a no-brainer. (Michael Fitzgerald is right on - "Jambo Caribe??") However, while you're waiting for it, why not pick up "Benny Golson's New York Scene" - similar group, a very rewarding session (superior, to my ears, to "Greatest") - and AVAILABLE!!

while you're waiting for it, why not pick up "Benny Golson's New York Scene"

Well, speaking for myself (and since I'm the one who mentioned "Greatest"), the answer is... because I've owned "NY Scene" in one form or another for about 25 years...

Was Dizzy Gillespie's early 1960s Philips LP "On the French Riviera" ever issued on compact disc in the US, Japan or elsewhere?  If so, is it still available in Europe, Japan, etc. There's no domestic (US) CD listing of it on AMG, Tower Records etc. Thanks.

I have it on a Japanese Philips (822 897-2) that was issued in '86 with an additional track.

Actually 3 extra tracks..

Here it is

Pau de Arara

For the Gypsies

There was another LP issued from these sessions.. New Wave

isuued on Phillips

That and the 'French Riviera" could benefit from being issued as a 2cd set.

f0234.jpg

Edited by P.D.

• 8 months later...

Given the personnel, I've always thought "Greatest" was a little disappointing.  (A friend of mine uses the word "deceptive.")  But clearly it should have been reissued years ago, a no-brainer.  (Michael Fitzgerald is right on - "Jambo Caribe??")  However, while you're waiting for it, why not pick up "Benny Golson's New York Scene" - similar group, a very rewarding session (superior, to my ears, to "Greatest") - and AVAILABLE!!

Not really, Jambo Caribe is a fine record.

Edited by kh1958

There was another LP issued from these sessions.. New Wave

isuued on Phillips

New Wave will come out on CD in Japan on 23rd February.

After that I think that the Verve(-owned) albums that remain to be released on CD are the following:

Dizzy Gillespie and his Orchestra a.k.a. Jazz Recital (1954-55)

*Dizzy Gillespie Big Band (1955/57)

The Greatest Trumpet Of Them All (1957)

The Ebullient Mr. Gillespie (1959)

*This is a complicated album. It was scheduled for release as Verve MGV 8357 but it never came out. All but two of the tracks later came out on a British LP. The 1957 tracks were released on CD as part of the Birks Works twofer, including the two previously unissued tracks. All but one of the 1955 tracks were on the Dizzy's Diamonds compilation. The logical way now to release the 1955 tracks would be as bonus tracks to a reissue of Jazz Recital, since they were partly from the same sessions. But since Verve now only would release it in the LPR series which comes without bonus tracks, I suppose that's a moot point.

Plenty of Hank Mobley in quintet & sextet settings on Jazz Recital, by the way.

• 3 weeks later...