"Alternate takes" that matter the most...

Rooster_Ties

As I'm typing this, I'm listening to Herbie's album "Speak Like A Child" from the complete BN box, and the alternates are really giving me a wonderful different perspective on some of these tunes (there are 2 alternates for "Riot", and 1 for "Goodbye To Childhood", but the "Goodbye..." alternate has an incredible solo-piano section that is breathtaking!!!).

The alternates from Miles Davis "Sorcerer" and "Neffertiti" sessions were pretty wonderful to hear, finally!!

What are your favorite albums that have since been released with several great alternate takes??? - either as single CD issues, or as part of some big box set.

==========

Maybe I should also clarify, to say that I'm talking primarily about actual alternate verisons of tunes that were released 'back in the day'. Not just unreleased tunes recorded at the same sessions, and included later as bonus tracks.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'm normally not a big fan of alternate takes clustered together, but the Rivers material is so different, take to take, that it makes for fascinating listening of artists developing a piece in studio.

Sam needs to get more credit. I just spun Crystals earlier today and always find his writing to be very fresh.

great minds think alike!

I'm not a big fan of alternate takes unless they are substantially different.

One I'm very pleased to have is the other 'Flamenco Sketches' on 'Kind of Blue'.

I'm especially glad this only appeared years after I first heard it. I think most of KOB is engraved on my subconscious so hearing a very different version in the mid-90s was a great pleasure.

My favorite series of alternates occurs on disc 1 of the Sam Rivers Mosaic set. The four versions of Downstairs Blues Upstairs are quite interesting as a piece. I listen to them often.

Me too. :)

Here's another sucker to the Rivers' first disc!

And then I think - maybe that's just the usual and that's why it has not been mentioned yet - Bird deserves being in this list, as (almost) every note of his (like the Famous Alto Break) is worth being heard. The 8 CD is hugely enjoable - even though I have the Dial on Spotlites 4CD set and the Savoy in an LP reissue, it was great fun listening all this stuff again!

Then also the alternates of Bud Powell's early Blue Notes (Un Poco Loco and Night In Tunisia, Then Dance of the Infields, Bouncing with Bud etc.) are an enjoyable lot, which, for me, belong to these records as much as do the masters.

ubu

Strickly speaking of alternate takes made during one session, my favourites are those in the Bird/Dial and Coltrane/Atlantic boxes.

oh yes, the Atlantic box! one of my first and most loved box-sets! and what wonderful music. Love these alternates, too! What a pity that more of these were destroyed in that infamous warehouse fire at Atlantic's :(

ubu