Lonehill reissues

Stefan Wood

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold off on that one - Fresh Sounds (a completely unrelated label, of course :rolleyes: ) has a set coming out that will include this stuff AND the "Dixieland" stuff that was Lacy's first recordings, and it's going to be a "memorial" to the recently deceased great one.

And I'm sure that the Lacy estate will be getting some kind of compensation from this "well timed" release... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, it sounds like it was dubbed from LP. But there are virtually no scratches or pops, all thoroughly removed by some data processing software. All the frequencies are there, but natural "body" of the instruments and the room ambience suffer a lot. Better than nothing. I am mad at the Blue Note people they did not get around to reissuing this rare album, it's great music, Hendricks is in top form, the rhythm sections cook, and Wes and Pony Poindexter are the main soloists - the Adderley Brothers play in the horn section only.

This also includes the complete Kismet LP - Cuscuna omitted the tracks without Wes soloing as he found the arrangements "rather stilted" - IMHO, not a reason to truncate an album.

Also got me the Orchestra USA CD on Lonehill - some of the most organic Third Steam Music I have ever heard. Both the mono and stereo versions are on this CD. Some rare Dolphy, BTW, sound is okay - the LPs seem to have been in good condition. A must for any John Lewis fan.

Very fast service, BTW - I ordered online on Thursday, the CDs arrived here on Monday morning!

I listened to the Farmer Mulligan CD and thought it sounded pretty good. Very little pops. This session is late 50s so it can't be a ripoff of European copyright law. They must have gotten the rights to it somehow or how could it sound this good, unless the technology has gotten good on bootlegs also. It was worth the cost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ran into a new Lonehill release that intrigued me: 'West Coast All Stars'. The cover listed Bob Cooper, Bud Shank, Don Fagerquist, Milt Bernhardt, Jimmy Rowles, Shelly Manne as appearing on the album.

Turns out the CD has two obscure LP albums with music from composer/arranger/conductor Dean Elliott. First one is the music composed in 1960 for the film 'College Confidential'. The rest is from a 1956 album from the Dean Elliott Dance Band.

It's a not unpleasant West Coast jazzy easy listening music with a few solos by Shank and Cooper mostly.

Should please the weird soundtracks fans on the Board.

• 3 weeks later...

The Dick Twardzick Trio 'Complete Recordings' Lonehill CD has all 19 tracks recorded by the brilliant pianist, the seven ones (with Carson Smith and Peter Littman) from 1954 that were released on Pacific Jazz and the additional sides recorded in Boston in 1954 also that appeared previously on New Artists and then Orchard).

Has anyone heard this issue. Not certain that the material herein could be obtained through regular issues(?). So... any comments on the quality of this set or is it a dubious rip at best?

I have just about a week discovered Lonehill, because I bought a great Art Farmer thing, that I had only over the years heard about, but had never seen or listen to.

So, if there are any Art Farmer fans out there, get it. The title is Art Farmer's New York Jazz Sextet, same setup as the Jazztet.

The personel is Art Farmer (Flugelhorn), James Moody (Tenor), Tom McIntosh (trombone), Tommy Flanagan (Piano), Richard Davis (Bas), Tootie Heath (Drums).

The audio (sound) is very good. It's recorded in 1965 and 1966.

Do any of you know on which label that it was originally released on ?.

Vic

clem

How much music is there on the Slug's date? It's the only ESP I don't have in one or the other version. Only as much so it fits easy onto one CD? Or is there more?

And who sends me a burn?

ubu

From the Fresh Sound web:

This outstanding 66-minute release includes Albert Ayler's complete May 1, 1966 Slug's Saloon performance for the first time ever on one CD.

But from Ayler pages:

Also the Lonehill Jazz version of Slug?s is confusingly called Complete Live at Slug?s Saloon - it isn?t, it?s missing a track.

(it's missing track "Initiation" 16.34).

I have just about a week discovered Lonehill, because I bought a great Art Farmer thing, that I had only over the years heard about, but had never seen or listen to.

So, if there are any Art Farmer fans out there, get it. The title is Art Farmer's New York Jazz Sextet, same setup as the Jazztet.

The personel is Art Farmer (Flugelhorn), James Moody (Tenor), Tom McIntosh (trombone), Tommy Flanagan (Piano), Richard Davis (Bas), Tootie Heath (Drums).

Vic

Not sure, but that sounds much like a James Moody (or was it Tom McIntosh?)Scepter date.

Vic

My UK vinyl of Group Therapy on the DJM label has five tracks by the Moody/Farmer band and three by a Thad Jones/Moody Quintet also from Scepter.

Edited by JohnS

I'm puzzled by this:

COMPLETE 1958 MODERN ART SESSION

LONE HILL JAZZ 10155

ART FARMER AND BILL EVANS

This CD presents in completion 2 rare 1958 dates by bandleaders Anthony Ortega and Teddy Charles featuring Art Farmer and Bill Evans!

In September 1958, the budding jazz director Monte Kay decided to put together a recording session featuring the winners of Downbeat’s International Critics Poll Award for the “New Star” category of that year. The winners included trumpeter Art Farmer, tenor saxophonist Benny Golson and pianist Bill Evans. The three musicians were joined on the date by bassist Addison Farmer and drummer Dave Bailey. Although this session marks the only time that the band was to record together, the unit produced eight superb tracks and an album that is widely regarded as one of the trumpeter’s finest. In addition to the outstanding Modern Art date, this CD boasts two exciting sets with vibraphonist Teddy Charles and multi-instrumentalist Anthony Ortega.

==============

OK, I know what Modern Art (United Artists) is, no problem. What are the others? Is it Teddy Charles with Art Farmer (Bethlehem: Salute To Hamp)? And Anthony Ortega with Art Farmer (Bethlehem: Jazz For Young Moderns)? Or is there some kind of Bill Evans hook-up in there? He's on neither of the Bethlehems.

Mike

German mail order shop JPC has some of them at reduced price (EUR 9.99 for single, EUR 16.99 for double CDs) for a limited time, among them the Farmer, Hutcherson, Chambers, Coltrane etc.

Go to the English section, jazz part, type lonehill into the search box and you have them all.

Edited by mikeweil