Lonehill reissues

Stefan Wood

The Fresh Sound vinyl issue of Best From The West sound too bad to my ears (I was glad to hear the music anyway) so if they use the same source it should be listenable. In general though it's best to beware of the quality of some Fresh Sounds/Lonehill items. The sources are questionable. I have bought the occasional cd from them only to find the quality inferior to the vinyl issue in my collection.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Hmmm. I was about to ask a question re the session of the disc I am listening to at the minute, but there are 8 pages here which I will page through later on today.

The disc is the Booker Little/George Coleman two-fer.

Apparently the two original albums were 'Booker Little 4 & Max Roach' and '& Friend'.

What labels were they originally issued on?

If they are still available I'll go out and listen to them because this sounds like it's been recorded through a sock.

I wasn't aware of this label (Lonehill) and I'm just hoping they haven't screwed up some other label's plans to reissue these albums.

Hmmm. I was about to ask a question re the session of the disc I am listening to at the minute, but there are 8 pages here which I will page through later on today.

The disc is the Booker Little/George Coleman two-fer.

Apparently the two original albums were 'Booker Little 4 & Max Roach' and '& Friend'.

What labels were they originally issued on?

If they are still available I'll go out and listen to them because this sounds like it's been recorded through a sock.

I wasn't aware of this label (Lonehill) and I'm just hoping they haven't screwed up some other label's plans to reissue these albums.

the Little/Roach is still available on Capitol/Blue Note with a couple of additional live tracks. The Little & Friend is originally on Bethlehem and has been out there on CD as well. It includes some alternates not on the Lonehill.

• 4 months later...

From the latest Downtown Music Gallery mailing:

STEVE LACY With WHITEY MITCHELL - Complete Whitey

Mitchell Recordings (Lone Hill Jazz 10130; EEC)

Featuring Tom Stewart, Herbie Mann, Joe Puma,

Dave McKenna, Osie Johnson  Recorded in New York,

1956 This particular release features two rare

1956 studio sessions during the early stages of

Lacy's legendary career. The personnel in both

sessions is either sextet or quintet format

featuring Lacy on soprano sax!

CD for $16    SPECIAL

enjoyed this one - a surprise to hear lacy play straight ahead! the real treat though was tom stewart! :tup

:)

• 2 years later...

Got this email:

Classic Jazz Import Blowout!!

40-50% OFF THESE CLASSIC JAZZ IMPORTS.

Quanties are limited. First come first serve. Order as many as you like!

THESE LABELS ARE ON SALE UNTIL SOLD OUT! QUANTITIES LIMITED TO STOCK ON HAND...

Lonehill Jazz

Clifford Brown, Art Pepper, Eric Dolphy, Buddy DeFranco, Bill Evans, Art Farmer, Lee Morgan, Gerry Mulligan, Clark Terry, Sarah Vauhan and more!

Gambit

Cecil Taylor, Chet Baker, Art Blakey, Betty Carter, Donald Byrd, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane and more!

Definitive

Louis Armstrong, Mildred Bailey, Chet Baker, Gerry Mulligan, Ruby Braff, Count Basie, Thelonious Monk, Coleman Hawkins, Earl Hines, Johnny Hodges and more!

Jazz Factory

Serge Charloff, Rosemary Clooney, Miles Davis, Lou Donaldson, Art Pepper and more!

Was $14.99-29.99

Now $7.99-14.99!

This implies to me that someone is cracking down, and that Jazz Loft at least won't be carrying the illegal labels anymore.

It could mean a "crackdown." It could be something else as well, that Jazz Loft is no longer carrying items from a particular distributor for other reasons.

Personally, I hope it's a crackdown, but this one example isn't the most compelling evidence (for me).

They're probably not big sellers and Jazzloft is clearing inventory.

I wonder about that- in the last few months I've noticed a lot of Lonehill/Definitive/Jazz Factory releases in my Borders store. I thought that was odd, you don't don't usually see those labels in-store (as opposed to online only) in a major chain like Borders. I'm assuming it must have had something to do with anticipated sales.

They're probably not big sellers and Jazzloft is clearing inventory.

I wonder about that- in the last few months I've noticed a lot of Lonehill/Definitive/Jazz Factory releases in my Borders store. I thought that was odd, you don't don't usually see those labels in-store (as opposed to online only) in a major chain like Borders. I'm assuming it must have had something to do with anticipated sales.

Berkshire has been carrying a lot of their titles lately at $3.99 per disc. More the Definitive and Jazz Factory labels rather than Lonehill, but I believe they're all under the same umbrella.

• 6 months later...