Lonehill reissues

Stefan Wood

I just saw this on the Jazzmatazz site:

NEW Albert Ayler - Complete Live at Slug's Saloon Recordings (Lonehill) Apr 27

NEW Sonny Criss - Lost Recordings (Lonehill) Apr 27 — with five bonus tracks

NEW Eric Dolphy - Complete Memorial Album Sessions (Lonehill) Apr 27

NEW Bob Dorough & Sam Most Quartet - Complete Recordings (Lonehill) Apr 27 — with four bonus tracks

NEW Harry Edison & Charlie Shavers - Complete at Midnight & At Riverside Sessions (Lonehill) Apr 27

NEW Duke Ellington - 1967 European Tour: Complete Teatro Sistina Concert - 2 CDs (Lonehill) Apr 27

NEW Booker Little - New York Session (Lonehill) Apr 27 — with one bonus track

NEW Gerry Mulligan & Art Farmer - Complete Live in Rome Concert (Lonehill) Apr 27

NEW Jack Teagarden & Bobby Hackett - Complete 1950s Studio Recordings (Lonehill) Apr 27

What label is this? Couldn't find a website or any information regarding the cds. For instance, is the Booker Little session the same as the one he did with Donald Byrd? :huh:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is I think, a European Label ( British???) I saw the first signs of these in adds in the latest JaZZ Review / Jazz Journal.

I also saw the list on Jazzmatazz but the links to CDuniverse do not list any tracks etc.

I suspect tat the Booker Little is the MOMA recording with Teddy Edwards and Booker Ervin. Many times reissued via a variety of labels. Often under the " In NY" title.

The Edison/Shavers were Capitols answer to the success of the Buck Clayton Jam Sessions.. two LPs Session at Midnight / Session at Riverside.. I don't think there were any unissued tracks from these as might be thought from the " Complete " tag. These have been issued on CD previouslyon the British Dormouse label.. good mainstream Jazz for those who like that sort of thing.

The Tea / Hackett will be the Coast to Coast / Jazz Ultimate sets.. also previously on Dormouse and more recently in the Collectors Classic catalogue.

There is also a Lee Morgan announved by Lone Hill... Those Dizzy Days

Lee with the Gillespie Big Band????????????????

I am curious about the others though. I think I know the Dolphy.

Edited by P.D.

I suspect tat the Booker Little is the MOMA recording with Teddy Edwards and Booker Ervin. Many times reissued via a variety of labels. Often under the " In NY" title.

This was originally on the Warwick label. And it's Teddy Charles not Edwards), of course...

This was originally on the Warwick label. And it's Teddy Charles not Edwards), of course...

Damn it Brownie... can't I have a beer in the afternoon.. well morning actually

well it was a bloody mary

Virgin really.... but I burnt the eggs

What's the Criss???????????

I think the Ellington is the 2cds Live in Italy 1967 that I have on the Jazz Up label

Edited by P.D.

What's the Criss???????????

I think the Ellington is the 2cds Live in Italy 1967 that I have on the Jazz Up label

No idea about the Criss but I'll be out looking for that one!

I would not be surprised if that Lonehill label is part of the Disconforme group but there is no mention of the label or those albums on the FreshSounds/Blue Moon website.

• 3 weeks later...

Damn it Brownie... can't I have a beer in the afternoon.. well morning actually

well it was a bloody mary

Virgin really.... but I burnt the eggs

:lol:

Could this be (the "first time all together on one CD" would point in that direction) the complete session with Donald Byrd and Nathan Davis? (I never had those)

ubu

Don't bother, they suck.

Clear words... thanks!

What's the best way to get the Iron Man stuff?

I have a Charly disc, as well as a WestWind, they do overlap a bit, but I think I got all - however, it would definitively be nice to have that music on one disc, decently remastered, complete discography, and some good liners...

ubu

That stuff has been leased out and pirated so often...

AFAIK, the one time that it was ALL released "under one roof" was on a 2-Lp set on Douglas (the label of the original producer), athough maybe Celluloid did it too later on. Seems like I remember something like that on Celluloid, but I already had the Douglas issue, so I didn't bother.

Could this be (the "first time all together on one CD" would point in that direction) the complete session with Donald Byrd and Nathan Davis? (I never had those)

ubu

Don't bother, they suck.

Clear words... thanks!

What's the best way to get the Iron Man stuff?

I have a Charly disc, as well as a WestWind, they do overlap a bit, but I think I got all - however, it would definitively be nice to have that music on one disc, decently remastered, complete discography, and some good liners...

ubu

This is Eric Dolphy, is afaik the latest incarnation of the Iron Man stuff (2003). It's a two-CD set on Varese Sarabande. The sound quality is decent.

http://www.cdconnection.com/bin/nph-search...=googericdolphy

Edited by Д.Д.

is it fair to say that these are mainly rip-offs of rip-off bootlegs and that getting a burn somewhere is the prefered way to go? Is there any official release of that Dolphy material? (and is it available?)

There isn't, as far as I know.

And the next in your row of question then should be: was there ever an "official" release, in the sense that the artists got paid etc?

And wouldn't there be more material around, as these recordings took place on at least three dates, as far as I remember?

ubu

This is strange... the Ayler Slug's came out posthumously on ESP. I have Dolphy on Douglas in a Casablanca (!!) pressing...Donald Byrd/Bookler Little "The Third World" on TCB ("editing & remixing: Joe Scarzia at Mercury Sound Studios")... how could these have all fallen under the same domain? Is it just like, well, we can't tell who, for sure, DOES own this stuff, so we may as well stake a claim to it also?

Answer for Couw: yes, burns are the way to go. And if anyone gets the Ayler, why not send a couple $$$ over to Revenant in anticipation of the big AA box which is done w/the family's cooperation.

clem

How much music is there on the Slug's date? It's the only ESP I don't have in one or the other version. Only as much so it fits easy onto one CD? Or is there more?

And who sends me a burn? B)

ubu

• 3 weeks later...

From Dusty Groove again:

dolphy_eric_completem_101b.jpg

The title's possibly a bit misleading here -- as the record's not so much a memorial to Dolphy, but a repackaging of sides that were repackaged originally as such in the 60s! If that's not confusing enough, let us just explain that the set features 9 tracks from Dolphy's important recordings for Alan Douglas -- tunes that have shown up over the years in a variety of formats, but which are probably most famously known under the album titles Iron Man and Jitterbug Waltz. The format of the work is quite unusual -- and at times is closer to Dolphy's Blue Note recordings than most of his other work of the period -- with an approach that is both spiritual and angular, always touched with Dolphy's keen sense of modernism. Players include Clifford Jordan, Sonny Simmons, Prince Lasha, Richard Davis, and Bobby Hutcherson -- and titles include "Love Me", "Ode To CP", "Mandrake", "Iron Man", "Burning Spear", and "Music Matador".