Blow, Brother Konitz, BLOW!

JSngry

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, all this week I've been listenting to that Teo MAcero SAX 5TH AVENUE side while getting ready to go to my straight job (I should be leaving now, in fact), and the last cut is this thing that starts out as a ballad, then goes into a swinging modal groove for the solos. Phil Woods goes first, and he's in good mid-70s for. Then Al Cohn plays, and he's a TOTAL gas - bluesy, Prez-y, and plenty of chromaticism! Sounds like Yusef Lateef almost.. The rhythm section is really groovin', and is building steam every second.

And then Lee plays. He doesn't get "hot" or anything, he just LOCKS INTO A FREAKIN' ZONE AND PLAYS THESE BEAUTIFUL MELODIES! It's like he's so deep into the groove that he can let it take care of itself, like he's not worried about it going anywhere if he doesn't suck it's whatever to keep it hard. That's how DEEP he's into it, and that's a deep place to be.

I got so far into this shit that I found myself actually hollering "Blow, Brother Konitz, BLOW" while I was getting dressed tonight. You gotta wonder how many times Lee's heard THAT! :g

I've made it through only the first few cuts of STAR EYES - HAMBURG 1983 with Martial Solal since it arrived in the mail from Cadence last week, but so far, it's a real gem. Similar stuff - nothing overtly "hot" or showy but Lee is DEFINITELY "in the zone," great way to put it. Solal is amazing in a little more demonstrative way.

For a slightly different kind of Lee - a bit more fettered, less played in, but still fascinating - the date with Giuffre and Ted Brown and Warne Marsh that was last reissued on the Verve Konitz/Giuffre 2-fer in the mid-90's has also been floatin' my boat lately.

Lee can definitively play!

I saw him live only once, with Swallow/Motian (the "Three Guys" disc - on Enja, I think - comes from that tour), and he was great!

He is one of the least-licks-bound player I ever heard!

Got to spin the 3CD "Motion" again some time soon!

ubu

Would it be considered "bragging" to say that I have approximately 70 CDs by Lee Lonitz?? :g

I have been a long time fan, since I was 12 or so ... we long-time fans had to suffer an amazing drought of Konitz recordings in the 60s and early 70s ... His output in recent years is really beyond the completist's ability to keep up ... they appear from all directions because Lee does not have an exclusive contract with any one record company, and every European musician of any consequence wants to record with him.

There is, of course, controversy about his shift away from his original "swinging" Tristano-based bebop style, to his current more ethereal explorations.

Konitz is a musician we could spend a year discussing on this list ... I welcome the opportunity ...

For your viewing pleasure ... a great early album ...

Edited by garthsj

You can't ever have enough Konitz IMO

recent arrivals here include

Nonet - Roulette 1979 with Randy Brecker Lp (ever on CD?)

Star Eyes Hamburg 1983 with Martial Solal

Vols 1 & 2 Jazz Exchange Live with Warne Marsh , Montmarte- Storyville

Gong with the wind- duet with Matt Wilson- Steeplechase

Crosscurrents- really a Bill Evans Fanasy date ( with Warne again)

a favourite is still "Dig it" with Ted Brown on steeplechase.

No! No! No! If you really want to follow Konitz's incredible development as an artist, a very accessible introduction to this great improvisor would be the "Konitz at Storyville" album. Then follow this with the "Konitz With Gerry Mulligan" session. This would hook any real jazz fan forever! Lee's improvisation's with the Mulligan Quartet should be declared a "national treasure" ....

While all the suggestions made so far are all exemplary, they would not allow a listener to hear how Konitz has extended the art of jazz improvisation, and has begun reducing it to its minimilist essence.

Edited by garthsj

I think I'm going to search out and grab "At Storyville" and "Live at The Half Note" dates. The second one will help fix my need for some more Marsh as well.

I've already ordered this one. e246132bwgi.jpg

Thanks! :tup

Excellent choices. The Atlantic with Marsh was one of my very first Konitz albums, the second to be exact after a 10" Prestige given to me by a cousin who "didn't like him" .. (he was a Benny Goodman fan). Just sit back, close your eyes, and let those long, complex lines flow over you... this is NOT your basic bebop ...

Lee Konitz is something of a late arrival to my collection but for what its worth heres what I have -

My Sunday morning CD

f49381jintm.jpg

Just bought this one

e60989kqchk.jpg

Just beginning to get my ears around

e89191cintm.jpg

My favourite is the session on here

e89184xinzr.jpg

I've got the Miles box--is that the only place where you can find those sides with Lee?

One of the many things I like about this board is its general love and respect for Konitz. Lately I've been wanting to start a thread about his big-band recordings, because I'm thinking about doing a show based around them. I have nearly all of the later Thornhill recordings, and the Kenton CD SKETCHES ON STANDARDS, which contains four very good LK solos--any other suggestions? In the Cadence catalogue there are listings for two big-band dates with which I'm not familiar.

I've got the Miles box--is that the only place where you can find those sides with Lee?

They are available on this single CD:

f76029qijea.jpg

Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-1726-2

Track list:

1. Odjenar performed by Lee Konitz - 2:51

2. Hi Beck performed by Lee Konitz - 3:05

3. Yesterdays performed by Lee Konitz - 2:25

4. Ezz-Thetic performed by Lee Konitz - 2:51

5. Indian Summer performed by Lee Konitz - 2:32

6. Duet for Saxophone and Guitar performed by Lee Konitz - 2:37

7. Conception (Shearing) performed by Miles Davis - 4:01

8. My Old Flame (Coslow/Johnston) performed by Miles Davis - 6:33

9. Intoit performed by Stan Getz - 3:20

10. Prezervation performed by Stan Getz - 2:41

11. I May Be Wrong performed by Gerry Mulligan - 3:27

12. So What performed by Gerry Mulligan - 2:44

The Mulligan tracks are in fact from a 1950 Chubby Jackson big band session featuring Mulligan.

This CD is one of the few possibilities to get the two Konitz/Bauer duets!

Edited by mikeweil