Blow, Brother Konitz, BLOW!

JSngry

Mike Weil misses the Roulette Nonet record which is probably my favorite. Don't press me for reasons. I'd be hard-pressed for an answer - just a reaction.

Prestige has never reissued on lp or cd an alternate of Yesterdays from the Konitz date with Miles. I have the 78. It is very different. Fantasy could issue all of their Konitz holdings in a smart package. Don't hold your breath.

There are bunches of great "Leak Onitz" from all eras from the late '40s 'til today. I am sitting on some more tapes from Storyville in the early '50s and they are wonderful. Just trying to make up a cd worth for Uptown.

Lee is a complicated player/individual, just like Warne. We are blessed.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warning: Off Topic!

Chuck, for the first time I really looked at your avatar: Is that your record collection in the background? If it is -- wow!

Feel free to resume normal communications now.

That's what is left of a collection of lps totaling around 20,000. I sold a big bunch to a Japanese dealer for "mucho bucks" and then sold a ton of others since the "remainders" didn't seem so important.

That is how I financed the Art Ensemble box. Less than 300 left, for anyone waiting for the end. They will be gone by Fall if the current sales rate keeps up.

There are bunches of great "Leak Onitz" from all eras from the late '40s 'til today. I am sitting on some more tapes from Storyville in the early '50s and they are wonderful. Just trying to make up a cd worth for Uptown.

Chuck, is there any chance that I will get to hear those Storyville tapes before 2020? Although my hearing is fine now, who knows by then? Also are these tapes from the original Storyville session, or from a different date? Who is in this group with him? Ronnie Ball? You have me salivating .. not a good condition to be in..

Also will this be one of the Uptown "Flashback Series" like the Allan Eager and Baron Mingus? These are wonderfully informative releases.

Garth.

I've got the Miles box--is that the only place where you can find those sides with Lee?

One of the many things I like about this board is its general love and respect for Konitz. Lately I've been wanting to start a thread about his big-band recordings, because I'm thinking about doing a show based around them. I have nearly all of the later Thornhill recordings, and the Kenton CD SKETCHES ON STANDARDS, which contains four very good LK solos--any other suggestions? In the Cadence catalogue there are listings for two big-band dates with which I'm not familiar.

The best "swinging" Konitz with Kenton is found on those many "private" recordings of the band made on tour during that period. (Just check the amazing list of these on CDUniverse.com). One I can highly recommend is "Live In Munich, 1953" (Sounds of Yesteryear), and of course on both "Sketches of Standards" and "Portraits of Standards," as well as the essential Bill Russo and Bill Holman material in the Mosaic Box. When one listens to Konitz's solos on these tracks it is amazing what clarity he immediately brings into that dynamic musical aggregation. I love that big brassy Kenton sound, and Lee just cuts through it like a hot knife through butter.

Also are these tapes from the original Storyville session, or from a different date? Who is in this group with him? Ronnie Ball? You have me salivating .. not a good condition to be in..

Also will this be one of the Uptown "Flashback Series" like the Allan Eager and Baron Mingus? These are wonderfully informative releases.

Garth.

What is the "original Storyville session"?

More sometime in the future.

Prestige has never reissued on lp or cd an alternate of Yesterdays from the Konitz date with Miles. I have the 78.

Chuck,

Was the original 78 of Yesterdays (New Jazz 855) not the master take, but this alternate to which you're referring, or was the alternate of Yesterdays issued on a different 78?

The obsessive completist in me needs to know....

Thanks.

Edited to correct 78 catalog number

Edited by Z-Man

A few obscure (but very good, and available) additions to the Lee Konitz recordings already listed:

Peter Ind Presents Lee Konitz in Jazz from the Nineteen Fifties (Wave). This is additional material from the Midway Lounge in Pittsburgh. The previously released material was on The Real Lee Konitz (Atlantic). Four of the eight tracks are by a quartet consisting of Lee, Billy Bauer, Dick Scott, and Peter Ind. Trumpeter Don Ferrara joins them on four tracks.

Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with Guest Lee Konitz (The Jazz Alliance). Marian McPartland's radio shows can be a bit precious (that's as good a word as any I can think of to describe my reactions to them), but sometimes I hear one I like, and this is one of those. Some fine (though short) solos by Lee, interspersed with some interesting comments by him. Good sound too, but the music is what counts.

Finally, one mentioned in passing by Chuck Nessa on the old BN Board (seems like so long ago) - Lee Konitz: From Newport to Nice (Philology). Live sessions, including a TV recording from the Tonight Show in 1955 (can anyone imagine Jay Leno featuring Lee Konitz or anyone similar these days?). 13 tracks, featuring all sorts of musicians from Johnny Smith to Henry Grimes to Warne Marsh to Misha Mengelberg to Rene Thomas to Jimmy Raney. Sound is so-so, but listenable. The music is completely listenable. Thanks to Chuck for mentioning this - I probably never would have have heard this music otherwise.

The best "swinging" Konitz with Kenton is found on those many "private" recordings of the band made on tour during that period. (Just check the amazing list of these on CDUniverse.com). One I can highly recommend is "Live In Munich, 1953" (Sounds of Yesteryear), and of course on both "Sketches of Standards" and "Portraits of Standards," as well as the essential Bill Russo and Bill Holman material in the Mosaic Box. When one listens to Konitz's solos on these tracks it is amazing what clarity he immediately brings into that dynamic musical aggregation. I love that big brassy Kenton sound, and Lee just cuts through it like a hot knife through butter.

Thanks for the recs, Garth--I ordered PORTRAITS & MUNICH from Deep Discount last night as a result. Wish I hadn't missed out on the Russo/Holman Mosaic, that's for sure--I suspect I might like it even more than the 1943-47 Kenton Mosaic that I do have.

Mike Weil misses the Roulette Nonet record which is probably my favorite. Don't press me for reasons. I'd be hard-pressed for an answer - just a reaction.

Prestige has never reissued on lp or cd an alternate of Yesterdays from the Konitz date with Miles. I have the 78. It is very different. Fantasy could issue all of their Konitz holdings in a smart package. Don't hold your breath.

Thanks, Chuck, for reminding me of the Roulette - of course I have it, but was too lazy to check my LP bin. My apologies - I love them all. But I can see why you think the Roulette is special. Mosaic should collect these all in one Select ...

And you're right about that alternate, which is without Miles, BTW. Never heard it.

If I were producing Fantasy reissues, I'd reassemble many an album ... that Konitz material would nicely fit on one CD.

Was the original 78 of Yesterdays (New Jazz 855) not the master take, but this alternate to which you're referring, or was the alternate of Yesterdays issued on a different 78?

I believe New Jazz 855 was the original master. I have a Prestige pressing numbered 755 with the unreissued take (without Miles). The take with MD clocks in at 2:24 while the other version is 2:55 by my count. Discographies I've checked indicate the Miles take as #143B with #143 for the other one (my pressing indicates 143). I read this to indicate they tried it without Miles for the first take, then added him.

Chuck, is there any chance that I will get to hear those Storyville tapes before 2020? Although my hearing is fine now, who knows by then? Also are these tapes from the original Storyville session, or from a different date? Who is in this group with him? Ronnie Ball? You have me salivating .. not a good condition to be in..

Garth.

None of the tapes I have come from the date on Storyville. My "jab" at "original" was because some of these tapes may pre-date it. I have broadcasts with Ball, Percy Heath and Al Leavitt from Storyville and another two with Ball, Ind and Morton. I also have a '57 date from Philly with a local rhythm section.

I believe New Jazz 855 was the original master. I have a Prestige pressing numbered 755 with the unreissued take (without Miles). The take with MD clocks in at 2:24 while the other version is 2:55 by my count. Discographies I've checked indicate the Miles take as #143B with #143 for the other one (my pressing indicates 143). I read this to indicate they tried it without Miles for the first take, then added him.

Thanks for the info, Chuck. You're absolutely right - a Fantasy Complete Konitz box would be a great thing. I would LOVE to hear that Yesterdays alternate.

It sounds like this has been out on LP before, Lee Konitz - Peacemeal.

They play Bartok on this one! Has anyone heard it and have comments?

http://www.fantasyjazz.com/catalog/konitz_l_cat.html#1101

"Interesting", but by far my least favorite Konitz Milesrone LP.

I'm listening to that MilestoneLP and find it quite enjoyable. Problem with the LP album is that the better stuff is on side B.

It's not Konitz' best Milestone album but it is pretty good. Konitz plays alto, tenor plus - on one track - multivider (electric) saxophone and fares no better than Sonny Stitt on that electric sax.

The highly underrated Dick Katz is excellent throughout even when he goes electric on a couple of tracks.

The Bartok Mikromokosmos connection is not too heavy-handed and rather intriguing.

• 1 month later...

I didn't realize Konitz was on the 'Birth Of The Cool' sessions till just yesterday. What's the matter with me?

Wesbed, do you have the late 1940s LK recordings with the Thornhill band? Some great stuff there as well... Been awhile since I listened to BIRTH OF THE COOL, but how much does Lee solo on that record?

ghost of miles- Wesbed, do you have the late 1940s LK recordings with the Thornhill band?  Some great stuff there as well...  Been awhile since I listened to BIRTH OF THE COOL, but how much does Lee solo on that record?

There are Konitz solos here and there. It appears, to me, that most of the soloing on the 'Birth Of The Cool' sessions is done by Miles, Mulligan, and Konitz.

And, no, I don't have the Konitz with the Thornhill band you mention.