Charlie Mariano

Late

I came to Mariano almost exclusively through sideman appearances: his scorching solo work on Mingus's two Impulse! sessions, his lone horn appearance on Dear John C., and ensemble and solo appearances on both the Chaloff and Kenton Presents Mosaics. But, for whatever reasons, not until recently did I pick one of Mariano's own sessions as a leader. This one

marian_char_charliema_101b.jpg

is one tasty recording, a quartet session with Mariano on both alto and tenor. The ghost of Bird must have made a stop that day at Rudy's studio, sat back, and laughed with admiration and respect for one of his disciples. The thing that seems to differentiate the playing here from other bop-inspired sessions of the era (from the likes of, say, Sonny Stitt) is that Mariano often puts that extra oomph into his lines. Even though he's using Bird's words, there's still a lot of meaning in how they get said. Nothing trailblazing going on here, but it's nevertheless an enjoyable slippers-and-coffee date from start to finish.

What Mariano do you like/prefer? I know his music, especially during, and after, his marriage to Toshiko Akiyoshi looked toward different directions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't got many Mariano albums, just these:

Modern Saxophone Stylings of Charlie Mariano with His Jazz Group - Toshiba TOCJ-9421 (his 1950-1951 Imperial sides)

B000066ABR.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Charlie Mariano - Toshiba TOCJ-62001 (Bethlehem BCP-25; 1955 quartet recordings)

B00005GKFU.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Charlie Mariano Plays - Toshiba TOCJ-62002 (Bethlehem BCP-49; 1953/1955 sextet recordings)

(couldn't find a picture)

Edited by J.A.W.

Got 'Deep In A Dream' after seeing a previous JSngry recommendation of it. It's a great date, indeed! I'll recommend another recent Mariano album. That one on Konnex. 'Frontier Traffic' with Al Haurand on bass and Daniel Humair on drums.

Very intense and swinging.

Got 'Deep In A Dream' after seeing a previous JSngry recommendation of it. It's a great date, indeed! I'll recommend another recent Mariano album. That one on Konnex. 'Frontier Traffic' with Al Haurand on bass and Daniel Humair on drums.

Very intense and swinging.

I have tried for a year or more to get a copy of that Konnex album in the U.S. without success .. are there any left lying around France, Brownie??

What can I say about Charlie Mariano? .... it has been a pleasure to watch his development from his earliest days, through his stay with Stan Kenton ("Stairway to the Stars" ... his great solo), his wonderful albums on the Bethlehem label, and his gradual transition when he moved to Europe. As JSngry said, "he just gets better" .... I am not into everything he does these days, but he still turns out stunning albums, and "Deep In A Dream" was one of my top five albums of 2002. There is no current altoist who can be as "piercing" in his sound as Mariano . Here are a few of my favorites ... Note: there are two volumes of "standards" with Tete Montoliu ..

Edited by garthsj

I have tried for a year or more to get a copy of that Konnex album in the U.S. without success .. are there any left lying around France, Brownie??

Sorry to say that I have seen that Konnex only once. That's when I bought it.

Konnex releases are not widely distributed in France, it seems.

The album is listed in the Cadence music sale. You might give it a try. It's really worth it!

Sorry to say that I have seen that Konnex only once. That's when I bought it.

Konnex releases are not widely distributed in France, it seems.

The album is listed in the Cadence music sale. You might give it a try. It's really worth it!

Thanks for the tip Brownie ... I just ordered it. Funny, I let my Cadence subscription lapse a few years ago, and somehow I never think of them for ordering things. This is the second time in a few months that they have found something for me I could not find elsewhere .. the first was the set of Swedish Jazz History albums. I guess I should renew my subscription, and buy a magnifying glass. ....

I'm a big fan of "Deep In A Dream"! An awesome album in every way!

Other than that I have some Freshsound discs ("Plays", some Boston stuff with Jaki Byard, and one more, I think), as well as some of his sideman appearances. I love his playing on Mingus' "Black Saint" - that's where I first heard him. His sound is very much his own, and as Jim did elaborate earlier in some other thread, his playing on "Deep In A Dream" is some of the most personal, most honest and touching committed to disc recently.

ubu

Listened the other day to Stan Kenton's 'Standards in Sihouette' by the Kenton band of 1959. A pretty good album by the way. Charlie Mariano has a couple of solos there that are outstanding. His solo on 'Django' is to be ranked along with his contribution to the Mingus 'Black Saint' album. Right at the very top!

I think Charlie is terrific. I first heard him on the "Dear John C" album, which is a real cooker, well captured by Rudy van Gelder. His pungent sound really impressed me. That album alone would be enough to cement his reputation.

When I hear some of those dull (and frequently out-of-tune) altos that BN used in the late 50s (especially on the early Lee Morgan sessions), I find myself wishing that they had used some of these fine big band altoists like Charlie, Phil Woods, Dave Schildkraut, Ted Nash and so on.

Don't have it anymore for some dumb reason, but I recall a Herb Pomeroy Band LP on United Artists that had a Bob Freedman ballad feature for Mariano, "On Another World," that was something else -- both as a piece of writing and for Mariano's interpretation.

That's on Herb Pomeroy's 'Band In Boston' UA album. Title of the tune is 'On The Other World'. A superb feature for Mariano!

Our man was on quite an amazing number of excellent albums at the time.

The 'Jazz Portrait of Charlie Mariano' album on Regina was also another remarkable LP!

When I hear some of those dull (and frequently out-of-tune) altos that BN used in the late 50s (especially on the early Lee Morgan sessions), I find myself wishing that they had used some of these fine big band altoists ...

Indeed. (And on Morgan's Indeed! as well.) Clarence Sharpe and Kenny Rodgers? Ouch.

Imagine Mariano or Herb Geller in a front line with Morgan at that time. Whew.

Thanks to all those who recommended "Deep In a Dream." Got it the other day, and it's very intense. Let me try to return the favor by touting an excellent and similarly intense 2001 disc (rec. 1999) by altoist Kim Richmond, who counts Mariano as an influence, "Ballads" (CMG). Basic setup is Richmond (soprano on a few tracks), pianist Reggie Thomas (new to me and very soulful, a bit reminiscent of Donald Brown), bassist Trey Henry, and drummer Joe La Barbera (who's in top form). Appearing on some tracks are trumpeter Clay Jenkins, baritonists Bill Perkins (must have been one of his last dates), Vinny Golia, and Bob Carr, and percussionist Brad Dutz. Richmond is a deep singer, in Mariano's class but his own man.

I haven't heard the album in question, but I have heard Kim Richmond live. Great chops, great fingers. This was 1997, in a quintet with Clay Jenkins, at the LACMA. Bill Perkins was supposed to have joined them, but apparently was ill. The next week Vinny Golia played the LACMA (do they still have those free Friday concerts?), almost exclusively on the Eb contra-alto bass clarinet.

And Golia's on this Richmond album? Would be interesting to check out for sure.

• 1 month later...

Anyone familiar with 'Autumn Dreams', Charlie Mariano and the Mal Waldron Trio, a recording on Alfa Jazz from the early '90's? Hard to find any information on this one but I guess it is hard to go wrong with Mariano and Waldron. Any comments would be appreciated.

• 8 months later...

I just ordered and received this from *the bastards*. I've been looking for it 'cause it has some great Carl Fontana AND Frank Rosolino; Charlie Mariano and Nick Travis are on it as well and play some very nice stuff.

bennet_max~_maxbennet_101b.jpg

Odd cover, no? Looks like ol' Max is giving the one finger salute.

Edited by Free For All