Teddy Charles

Late

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tentet arrived today and I just finished listening.  This stuff is right up my alley:  Postwar Twilight Zone jazz, along with some moody private-eye jazz sounding tracks.  I am kind of amazed that it has taken me this long to find Teddy Charles, but better late than never!  This will pair nicely on a playlist with Duane Tatro's Jazz for Moderns!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

3 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Tentet arrived today and I just finished listening.  This stuff is right up my alley:  Postwar Twilight Zone jazz, along with some moody private-eye jazz sounding tracks.  I am kind of amazed that it has taken me this long to find Teddy Charles, but better late than never!  This will pair nicely on a playlist with Duane Tatro's Jazz for Moderns!

Jealous that you're hearing Tentet for the first time! Such a great record.

8 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Indeed, very similar. All pretty serious too, not just mood music, though it can serve that purpose. George Russell's "Lydian M-1" is a high light.

2 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

George Russell's "Lydian M-1" is a high light.

Agreed!  On first listen, that stuck out, along with the opening track, and also "You Go to My Head."

I had it on in the background while I was working, so I couldn't give it my undivided.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

How come nobody's mentioned Gil Evans's arrangements for  Tentet? 

Perhaps in part because the instrumentation -- particularly the rather insistent timbre of Charles' vibes -- isn't well suited to Gil's typically more evanescent sound world. Thus the sound of the Tenet per se tends to predominate on the tracks Gill arranged; though the opening of "You Go to My Head,"  with its echo of the opening of "Boplicity," certainly bears  his fingerprint.

I think Jimmy Raney’s guitar — both his particular playing, and also (and maybe especially) the timbre of guitar/his-guitar — are a pretty significant part of the overall sound of much of the Tentet album, and the two most key tracks from Word For Bird (which are included as bonus tracks on some Tentet releases on CD).

His playing (and sound) — along with Charles’ vibes — really give the the entire proceedings quite a different character.

57 minutes ago, Joe said:

Art's twin, bassist Addison Farmer. 

He also had a nephew, his name is Julius Farmer and he is also a bassist. I heard him on some ocasion here in Austria.

Who of them is Teddy Charles. I never saw a picture of him but liked his passionate vibe playing on many of the fifties albums, like on that "Blue Moods" from Miles, with Mingus and Elvin Jones and no piano, or "Miles Davis-Lee Konitz" where he plays on side B, and I think there was also a Wardell Gray album on Prestige, where he plays. I think I heard his vibe just in my beginnings, when those Prestige albums where easy to buy. But I never saw him pictured. 

54 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Who of them is Teddy Charles. I never saw a picture of him but liked his passionate vibe playing on many of the fifties albums, like on that "Blue Moods" from Miles, with Mingus and Elvin Jones and no piano, or "Miles Davis-Lee Konitz" where he plays on side B, and I think there was also a Wardell Gray album on Prestige, where he plays. I think I heard his vibe just in my beginnings, when those Prestige albums where easy to buy. But I never saw him pictured. 

The guy with the glasses in the very front.

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I think there was also a Wardell Gray album on Prestige, where he plays. I think I heard his vibe just in my beginnings, when those Prestige albums where easy to buy.

That actually was a Teddy Charles session. 

Here is a photo.

1365px-Teddy_Charles.JPG

https://www.jazzwax.com/2008/12/teddy-charles-o.html