Late

Teddy Charles

62 posts in this topic

Get those OJC CDs while you can.

Fresh Sound did a reissue of the complete tentet stuff, and there are plenty other CDs with the pool of musicians involved.

A new interiew with Teddy Charles posted today at the jazzwax.com blog

jazzwax.com

In that interview, Charles's chronology is way off at one point. Benny Goodman's infamous (among bandmembers) tour of Russia took place in 1961, not just before Charles joined Chubby Jackson back in 1949.

Edited by Larry Kart

There was an Atlantic Jazz reissue of the Tente LP which includes three bonus tracks, # 90983-2.

I find Charles to be one of the most original of all jazz vibists, and can recommend any of his albums. The Original Jazz Classics CDs partly overlap, but swing like mad - his take on Third Stream Jazz had a lot more zest! That session with Shorty Rogers and Shelly Manne is a killer!

B000000Y71.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This here, BTW, was the cover of his other Atlantic LP:

B00004SBZY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

up....I've been listening to the Shelly Manne/Shorty Rogers session. WOW Fantastic music. It's hard to avoid comparing this, at least superficially, with some Hutcherson recordings made 10-15 years later. The Charles music sounds amazingly contemporary, elements of modal jazz, atonality. And Manne manages to swing like mad.

Glad to come across this thread once again. I was over at David's "Ghost Of Miles" website yesterday(Night Lights) and listened to the excellent program he does on Charles. If you haven't already done so, please give a listen. David played a few tracks I believe from the above mentioned recording and I now have it on order. I'm really looking forward to hearing this one.

Teddy Charles has a new recording scheduled for release in February. On Smalls Records. Talk about longevity!

Dances With Bulls

Old farts rule. :excited:

I see that six tracks from Jazz Goes Russia have now appeared on a Jazzbeat cd coupled with the Atlantic sides.

Teddy Charles has a new recording scheduled for release in February. On Smalls Records. Talk about longevity!

Dances With Bulls

This is true. There should be early copies available first at CD Baby about two weeks in front of the late-Feb release date. Teddy is playing in top form. I don't know why he hasn't made more records in the last 40 years. He certainly is up to it musically. I think you all will be pleased with this one.

Luke

I picked up the new Teddy Charles release the other day at my favorite local independent retailer. I purchased it as much for the presence of Chris Byars as for my intigue regarding Charles. With the exception of one Mingus tune, all of the songs were written by Charles and all the tracks were arranged by Byars. Overall a worthwhile recording. On my first listen there were not many surprises, but the quality of the individual performances is high and the compositions/arrangements kept me interested. I am looking forward to listening to this one more.

Yes, a very good sounding SHM-CD.