Blue Note 10" Series

undergroundagent

The 10" BN's was a wonderful series of reissues. The key question is whether there will be other 10" reissues in the near future.. How about "The Best From the West," and the "Lou Mecca Quartet" albums, for instance? There were 12" versions of these later, but as far as know they have never been reissued as CDs in the U.S. (Yes... there are very expensive Japanese reissues available).

The Lou Mecca would be a great U.S. reissue if they ever revive the 10" series - have the JRVG and it's groovy.

This is a very fine album by a neglected guitar player.

The one BN 10incher I would like to see reissued is the Urbie Green Septet date (with Doug Mettome). Never managed to see this item at a reasonable price.

Hey Folks,

I just received the "Howard McGhee Vol. 2/Tal Farlow" disc today from a trade with a fellow board member and, I must say, I'm pleasently surprised. This music is simply fantastic.

Are all the other 10" series this good?

Great disc!!!

Hi Allan,

I'm glad you're enjoying the McGhee/Farlow trade... glad I could send it your way!

I personally love all six of the 10" series CD's. Some of them are more favored than others (the McGhee's are at the top of the list for me, followed by the Foster date), but I'm glad as hell that Blue Note put these out.

Now, if there's anyway we could convince them to put out more of the 5000 series dates, I'd be a happy man... especially the two "West Coast" volumes! I'm also with Brownie on wanting to see the Urbie Green reissued someday!

Cheers,

Shane

Yes, I'm hoping that these may end up being RVG'd one day. . . . I would prefer that because RVG's work on the early mono material from WOR and his Hackensack "studio" in the RVG series is stellar sounding!

I'd be very happy to see the Art Hodes and Bechet material come out that way (each of these artists as leader). . . . That would be one of my "dream" requests of the RVG series.

• 9 months later...

I don't have any of those 7" 33s, but I do still have a stack of 45s by Jimmy Smith, Thad Jones, Kenny Burrell, Sonny Clark, Bennie Green, Fred Jackson, Freddie Hubbard, Horace Parlan, Donald Byrd, Horace Silver, Three Sounds, Joe Henderson, Freddie Roach, Eddie Gale (!) and the notorious Lee Morgan Midnight Cowboy/Popi.