E Parker McDougal

JSngry

Dug out McDougal's "Initial Visit." Contrary to what I said before, I don't hear much Ammons in him. I do hear a kinship to Von Freeman (in timbre, intonation, and dual loyalty to the Young and Hawkins traditions), though each man is himself (and Von is a master). If my memories of McDougal live are accurate, on a good day he had another, higher gear or two than this record manages to capture. A Nessa-produced McDougal album probably would have been something else. BTW, McDougal's writing is worth a listen too; his McDougal's ballad "Ode" is a potent piece, and some of his blowing lines are really catchy.

McDougal had some sort of government job - fed, state, city - I don't remember. He used to stop at my office regularly and talk about "the guys". He is/was a great spirit. I remember introducing him to Bob Porter (at the time, Jug's producer at Prestige) and Bob said " I love McDougal, but he keeps spitting on me". That was a hazard with him - his saliva glands must have worked overtime.

• 4 months later...

Finally got around to listening to both of his Grits albums, and I like them both. No BS music all the way, and a stellar cast on both. "Local" in the BEST possible way. However, I can hear what Larry means about "A Nessa-produced McDougal album probably would have been something else". Better recording, better formatting of the tunes, just an overall better presentation would no doubt have ensued. Based on the evidence here, the guy was (is?) worthy of a little better showcase than what he was able to do on his own. But these are fine documents nevertheless. Maybe not "essential" in any way, but definitely valuable in showcasing one facet of one of the richest jazz cultures in the world.

One question - there seems to be a period of about 6 years seems to separate INITIAL VISIT & BLUES TOUR, and McDougal seems much stronger and focused on the earlier album (but BLUES TOUR has some KILLER George Freeman, so hey...). Were his playing activities curtailed during those years, did he get sick, or is that just the way the date went down? I also hear his phrasing becoming slightly rushed in the later album, and to be honest, I had to laugh out loud at the image of a guy with overactive saliva glands playing that far on top of the beat. The images were vivid! :g :

And one more one question - is it a prerequisite for Chicago tenorists to have ultra-hip names? On INITIAL VISIT, we are graced by the tandem of E. Parker McDougal and Jay J. Peters. Could those names belong to anybody OTHER than jazz tenorists? :g:g:g

Only know the first McDougal album. Don't recall Jay Peters being referred to as any anything but Jay Peters. Speaking of the aptly named Chicago tenormen, in the '50s there was the fairly eccentric (in several senses) Haig Tchician. I think that's how the name was spelled -- it rhymed with "Bitchy-en." As I recall, he sounded like a very hung up, spastic JR Monterose or Shafi Hadi (very hockety, hiccup-y) and was known for his spectacular genital endowment, a la Joe Maini. According to Chicago pianist Stu Katz, Tchician carried in his wallet a nude photo of himself; when he fancied a woman he'd wordlessly show her the photo and often, so the story goes, that was enough.

• 3 years later...

Seeing this thread again reminds me of another encounter with McDougal. Andrew Hill was in town visiting his ailing mother and called to ask me for a tour of the South Side clubs. Our first stop was the Enterprise Lounge to see Von but he was in Europe and E. Parker was his sub. I think Eddie Calhoun was playing bass, Charles Walton was on drums but I'm not sure about the piano player. At set break Andrew had a great time swapping old stories with the guys in the band.

McDougal was a friend of mine. I heard him a lot of times. I got to hear him with Jay Peters a couple of times. Jay was a really good player. I can't think of too many recordings Jay's on. I know he's on a Gene Shaw record.

On one occasion I remember him at a festival Kahill El Zabar presented. After playing, he became drinking buddies with Frank Wright that night.

McDougal worked for the state. He had very bad eyesight and as a result didn't drive. That might have hurt his career a bit.

He passed away in the summer of '94. I went to his wake. There weren't alot of people there.

I gave a cassette of McDougal's two LPs to Mike Reed (the drummer) couple of weeks back. It would be nice to hear his music live again. Mike has a good vehicle for that in his People, Places and Things band (the band's repetoire is 50's and 60's Chicago Jazz ).

Edited by rpklich

• 8 years later...