CD for this Millenium: Welcome to the Meat Market

jazzbo

Here's a recommendation for Quartet Out, "Welcome to the Meat House." This cd from this esoteric and under-utilized quartet of Dallas Musicians (capitol M for a reason) is a real treat. Hard-swinging (yeah, in its way) and revved up from beginning to end, it shows several things clearly: that these guys can PLAY, that these guys can think on their feet and write themes that WORK, and that these guys can breathe and boogie together in the way that working bands can and not as often as we'd like DO.

It's free and it's structured and it's blowing and it's well thought out and it's what a "jazz" album should be.

I see this as an "open letter to Bob Belden" that NYC is not the only place that STUFF HAPPENS. :) Okay, seriously though there are great musicians hard at work in other places. And they should be recorded. I would like to think that a copy of this cd and a copy of a live recording done by the Marchel Ivery Quartet in the last months sent to a dozen record labels would mean that a team of A&R and recording folk would be on the way to Dallas. I'd LIKE to think that. I have to be realistic and know that is maybe one of my pipe dreams. But check this cd out. If you need help finding a copy of this, leave your question here or email me at lonjazz@yahoo.com

PS: In the fine Blue Note tradition, I managed to get a typo into the subject line! Where is my mind? If the moderator would like to edit this I'd be quite happy.

Edited by jazzbo

PS: In the fine Blue Note tradition, I managed to get a typo into the subject line! Where is my mind? If the moderator would like to edit this I'd be quite happy.

Not a typo at all, really. The "meat" references were all intended to be subtle commentary on the realities of being an original jazz band in a city that really has no use for such. Let it stand!

Otherwise, thanks for the kind words. We still have quantities available, so yes, contact me at musicaconcarne@yahoo.com for ordering information.

A great album by a great band. I spun this one again tonight and am pleased how each repeated listen reveals something new (and most times MANY new things). MEAT HOUSE and Quartet Out in general also seem to have really opened up my ears, almost, in a way, urging me to go out and explore the freer aspects of music as well as listening to other stuff in a more "open" way. Highly recommended!