Frank Hewitt - WE LOVED HIM (on smalls records)

JSngry

Listening once again to WE LOVED YOU (ordered the new one, hoping to get it by early next week). It's almost like listening to late Bud Powell, but a Powell more coherent & confident, less prone to collapse. Like where Powell might have gone if confinement, abuse, illness, and self-abuse hadn't conspired to do him in. Not to say that Hewitt doesn't have his own unique spark--he surely does. And I say this as someone who likes late Powell; but man, I think I like Hewitt even more.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed most of this thread when I was off line for weeks following my house move so I got a bit behind with all the appreciation here. Just caught up with Frank with 'Not Afraid To Live'. It was Nate's review in Cadence which finally got me to get the credit card out (and excellent value from Caiman). Fascinating piano jazz. I'll be getting more.

• 1 month later...

Birthday? Never heard of such a thing. Stopped having them last year.

Hey, me too! I fear turning into the entity that my own LTB would refer to as "Old Man Crankoos." :ph34r:

I've listened to 400 HUNDRED SATURDAYS several times now & played a couple cuts on the radio, and I do not think it will disappoint... thanks again, sir, for starting this thread--I assure you DEEP attention is being paid (well, not that kinda DEEP, but you know).

You're more than welcome. You got the power to dissemenate over the airways, so do it!

As for the other thing, I've been turning exponentially crankier the last few months as the Big Hawaii approaches. Been thinking about having an opulent commemorative bash with the theme of "A Half Century Of.....What, Exactly?"

Oh well, Frank Hewitt gives me hope that if I stay active and true, even if if it requires (as I'm sure it will, at least in these parts) being part of the sub-underground, a handfull of people will appreciate my endeavors after I'm dead. So, as Peggy Lee so eloquently put it, let's break out the booze and have a ball!

I had a nice time talking to Ghost of Miles earlier this week about Frank Hewitt. He's got a good program and there ought to be more DJs around like him. I supplied him with some unreleased Hewitt performances that he can use during his program, so if you tune in, you might get to hear some prime Hewitt that you won't be able to hear on disk for a while yet.

Luke

• 1 month later...

Wanted to mention in this thread that the Night Lights program I did on Hewitt, including interview segments with Luke Kaven, is now archived. Much thanks to both Luke and Jim Sangrey again. This is one of a number of programs that we'll quite possibly re-produce as we ramp up for syndication, so thoughts, comments, feedback, etc. more than welcome.

Wanted to mention in this thread that the Night Lights program I did on Hewitt, including interview segments with Luke Kaven, is now archived. Much thanks to both Luke and Jim Sangrey again. This is one of a number of programs that we'll quite possibly re-produce as we ramp up for syndication, so thoughts, comments, feedback, etc. more than welcome.

Listening right now. Great show! Beats most of what we get in Boston. I'm excited about the prospect of syndication. I'd love to have your show available locally.

I write for The Boston Globe on occasion and would love to help with the launch of your show on the local airwaves. Please keep us advised of any developments...

Edited by Kalo

Listening right now. Great show! Beats most of what we get in Boston. I'm excited about the prospect of syndication. I'd love to have your show available locally.

I write for The Boston Globe on occasion and would love to help with the launch of your show on the local airwaves. Please keep us advised of any developments...

Kalo, thanks much! Just saw your post today... I'll certainly keep you advised. Does WGBH play Hewitt at all? Steve S. posts here from time to time as SteveBop.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...