Used cd store recs for DC?

dig dis

Try Second Story Books on 20th and P right off Dupont Circle. They have some generally reasonably-priced LPs, mostly jazz. Not a huge selection, and the conditions vary, but I have found some great things there.

Georgetown used to have a great record store called Orpheus Records, with a huge inventory and a lot of jazz. They have moved across the river to Clarendon, but its near the Clarendon Metro stop, which is only two stops in on the Blue line. The LPs here are usually in great condition (they come with a money-back guarantee) but the prices are higher.

Happy hunting.

Whoops, just saw that you said used CD stores. My bad.

The best on in Dupont closed, but try going up 18th Street to Adams-Morgan (not far) to DCCD. They have a good selection of CDs, mostly pop and rock, but some jazz.

In Georgetown, there is one on M street at around 30th Street that is pretty good too.

Orpheus (see above note) is also good for used CDs, so I would check that out.

If you have a car, try the CD Cellar in Virginia on route 7. That I think is the best used CD place in the area.

Hope this helps.

Second Story Books is a great used book store, and well worth stopping into. They have some CD's too (if I remember right), and I'm pretty sure I bought half a dozen used jazz CD's and a couple classicals too -- last time I was there (probably three years ago). Totally hit or miss as far as what CD's they had, but it was above average from what I remember. Well worth a visit. :tup

CD Cellar is nice. But the best place by far for used jazz CDs in the DC area is CDepot in College Park. (9039 Baltimore Ave. College Park, MD 20740) If you have the time, I recommend going up there. It's as big as it looks, and the jazz section stretches for the full length of the store. Box sets are also abundant.

store2.jpg

If you are only going to be around Dupont Circle, you will probably want to check out Melody Records on Connecticut Avenue. They are one of the few genuinely indepenent record stores (for new records) in DC, and they do fairly well at ordering good jazz. For example, they stock Nessa!

Edited by John L