Mingus w/ Monk

doubleM

I was at a dinner party the other night, and these people had a cat named Mingus, and a dog named Monk. And all of a sudden, my jazz sensibilities were rattled by this guy saying that they appeared on a record together. He thought it was on a cut of "Night in Tunisia". I didn't want to chime in and say that it wasn't true (not being absolutely sure :huh:), but I thought that he may have been thinking of the quintet recordings w/ Bud Powell. Anyway, w/o the obvious compilations, does anyone know if this ever happened? Or better yet, will those of you who certainly know help me clear this up? Am I missing something obvious, or was he :eye: ???

Another one for the time machine is the evening immortalized as "A Night At Tony's" by Gigi Gryce who appeared in Brooklyn with "the four M's" - Miles, Monk, Mingus, and Max.

Any skepticism about this can be dispelled by looking at the photos in the latest edition of the Art Taylor "Notes and Tones" book. Also, Henri Renaud was in the audience for it and mentioned it in a French magazine at the time. The gig was March 20-21, 1954 at Tony's Club Grandean.

I don't know if it belongs in the "looks good on paper" category or not, but I would love to have a tape.

Of course, another meeting by Mingus and Monk is in the Great Day in Harlem photo.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...