Comedy Central's Top 100 Stand-ups of all time

Okay, I know this is goofy (not unlike one of those Rolling Stone top 100 albums lists), but what the hell. For me, just going down the list and looking at some of the names can give me a good laugh. If I tried to analyze this "seriously", I'd probably blow a gasket ("WHAT the... Roseanne Barr at #9!?) ;) So... did anyone watch the broadcast(s) where they counted it down? I thought they should have shown more clips and had less talk from the hosts at the roundtable. And, they went overboard trying to be hip by being vulgar, IMO. The most amazing thing about it was that during the segment where Richard Lewis was at the roundtable, he actually let the other hosts do some of the talking- even when he didn't have any food in his mouth! I saw that guy on Conan O'Brien one time, and Conan never got a chance to open his mouth! Anyway, here we go... (BTW, I took this list off the internet, and I will NOT be responsible for all the spelling errors. Thank you.)...

Oh, one more "BTW". The funniest thing I've seen in the last couple of years was Kevin James' "Sweat The Small Stuff". I think it's out on DVD now, and I would recommend that highly.

Okay, okay, keep your shirt on- I'm pasting in the list right now...

100. Gallagher

99. Janeane Garofalo

98. Louis C.K.

97. Sandra Bernhardt

96. Joey Bishop

95. Andrew Dice Clay

94. David Allen Grier

93. George Wallace

92. Louis Anderson

91. Jim Breuer

90. Dana Carvey

89. Kevin James

88. Paula Poundstone

87. Brette Butler

86. Jay Mohr

85. David Cross

84. Drew Carey

83. Norm McDonald

82. Howie Mandel

81. Dick Gregory

80. Bobby Slayton

79. Dom Irrerra

78. Cedric the Entertainer

77. Paul Reiser

76. Robert Schimmer

75. Eddie Izzard

74. Paul Rodriguez

73. Elaine Boosler

72. Bernie Mac

71. Red Buttons

70. Wanda Sykes

69. Pat Cooper

68. Dave Attel

67. Kevin Pollock

66. Shelley Berman

65. Sinbad

64. Richard Belzer

63. Jackie Mason

62. Eddie Griffin

61. Bobcat Goldthwait

60. Jeff Foxworthy

59. Gilbert Gottfried

58. Larry Miller

57. Richard Jeni

56. Colin Quinn

55. Alan King

54. D.L. Hughley

53. David Brenner

52. Damon Wayans

51. Lewis Black

50. Dennis Leary

49. Freddy Prinze

48. Tim Allen

47. Henny Youngman

46. Adam Sandler

45. Richard Lewis

44. Joan Rivers

43. Dave Chappelle

42. Flip Wilson

41. John Stewart

40. Mort Sahl

39. Billy Crystal

38. Bill Mahr

37. Martin Lawrence

36. Jim Carrey

35. Phyllis Diller

34. Buddy Hackett

33. Andy Kaufman

32. Albert Brooks

31. George Burns

30. Gary Shandling

29. Milton Berle (NOT "Burrow"!!!)

28. Jack Benny

27. Jay Leno

26. Ray Romano

25. Bob (not Bobe) Hope... (#25????) :rolleyes:

24. Redd Foxx

23. Steven Wright

22. Robert Klein

21. Dennis Miller

20. Sam Kinnison

19. Bill Hicks

18. Jonathan Winters

17. Don Rickles

16. Ellen Degeneres

15. David Letterman

14. Bob Newhart

13. Robin Williams

12. Jerry Seinfeld

11. Johnny Carson

10. Eddie Murphy

09. Roseanne Barr

08. Bill Cosby

07. Rodney Dangerfield

06. Steve Martin

05. Chris Rock

04. Woody Allen

03. Lenny Bruce

02. George Carlin

01. Richard Pryor

Edit: I can't stand it... I'm going to fix as many of the spelling errors as I can...

Edited by Jim R

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, any list that starts with Gallagher is suspect right off the bat.

There's one female standup I used to see on VH1 (I think)-thirty something, Jewish woman, very funny IMO, her schtick consists of straightforward narrative lines, punctuated and undermined by hysterical, under the breath asides. Anyone else see this lady? Definitely funnier than Roseanne!

I caught a lot of it and I can't quarrel with the top two. I think Janeane Garofalo should have been further up the list. I think Richard Lewis should have been further up the list too. Dennis Miller before Stephen Wright? I don't think so.

What is the love affair with Robert Klein? Never thought he was funny. I have a soft spot for Dom Irrerra and would have liked to see him a lot further up the list.

I did enjoy the clips, though.

Edited by RainyDay

There's one female standup I used to see on VH1 (I think)-thirty something, Jewish woman, very funny IMO, her schtick consists of straightforward narrative lines, punctuated and undermined by hysterical, under the breath asides. Anyone else see this lady? Definitely funnier than Roseanne!

I know who you're talking about Dan. She was very thin, had dark hair and spoke quietly like a librarian. I'll never remember her name but you're right. She was very funny. Almost like a female (and considerably less abstract) Steven Wright.

Was it Rita something....?

There's one female standup I used to see on VH1 (I think)-thirty something, Jewish woman, very funny IMO, her schtick consists of straightforward narrative lines, punctuated and undermined by hysterical, under the breath asides.  Anyone else see this lady?  Definitely funnier than Roseanne!

I know who you're talking about Dan. She was very thin, had dark hair and spoke quietly like a librarian. I'll never remember her name but you're right. She was very funny. Almost like a female (and considerably less abstract) Steven Wright.

Was it Rita something....?

Rita Rudner. She's good. I think she has a talk show on some off brand network. Haven't seen it.

Robert Klein is without a doubt one of my all-time favorites, and I know he was pretty influential on a lot of today's younger comics.  Different strokes...  :)

You're right. Klein is held in very high regard by other comics but I just never got him.

One very funny guy not on the list is Barry Diamond. I caught him on various comedy shows and saw him one night at the Comedy Store and laughed so hard I nearly gave myself a hernia. He was on Seinfeld once and was amusing as an annoying comic (not Banya).

Edited by RainyDay

And no Pigmeat Markham, Moms Mabley, Phil Foster, or Myron Cohen?

What bunch of ignunt-ass, TV-headed, no-history knowing, self-congratulatory (JIM BREUER????? IN THE TOP 100 OF ALL TIME??????) jarheads made THIS list? (probably the same ones that make ALL these f-ed up lists! :g:g:g )

Jesus Christ, as much as it pains me to admit this, Rip Taylor belongs on there ahead of some of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tier talents that did make it. And if you talk Letterman w/o mentioning George Miller, well...

Besides, was Jim Carrey ever a stand-up?

Edited by JSngry

Not Rita Rudner. Big Wheel nailed it, thanks.

indexshot.jpg

Perfect example of her style:

"I like a man who cries…when I hit him."

Yeah, that's her all right. The wife and I checked her out at the Carefree in West Palm Beach a couple of years ago. She's perfected the quick, under the breath aside routine. Funny and an excellent performer.

Ok, then I'm cool w/him being on there, I guess, although I think it's sort of stretching the definition of "greatest standups of all time" to include a truly manic comic genius for whom standup was nevertheless not his true career. But I quibble. no doubt.