How's the weather?

7C in northern Thailand, renowned for it's lovely winter weather. The locals bundled up in their few warmish clothes. Two days of freezing cold rain. Other places like HK and Taipei suffering similar unprecedented cold weather. Luckily blue skies due to return tomorrow.

It's spring!

P1301022%202000.jpg

Spotted a few miles from Buxton in Derbyshire, supposedly the highest market town in England. Several clumps there but only this bunch were open.

Shortly after there were hail showers. Then bright sun. Then further hail enough to turn the moors above Sheffield white. Around 7.00 a good fall of slushy snow bad enough to almost stop my car from climbing a hill in Sheffield (not a place you want to be in the snow...hills everywhere). Largely gone by 10. Mad British weather (apparently the tail end of the storms that hit the USA last week).  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

4 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

It's spring!

P1301022%202000.jpg

Spotted a few miles from Buxton in Derbyshire, supposedly the highest market town in England. Several clumps there but only this bunch were open.

Shortly after there were hail showers. Then bright sun. Then further hail enough to turn the moors above Sheffield white. Around 7.00 a good fall of slushy snow bad enough to almost stop my car from climbing a hill in Sheffield (not a place you want to be in the snow...hills everywhere). Largely gone by 10. Mad British weather (apparently the tail end of the storms that hit the USA last week).  

Yes, but what about this? Saw daffodils in full bloom 3 days ago. Isn't that supposed to happen in March?

Hope other UK'ers (and probably those further afield in Europe) are not getting wrecked by Storm Imogen...very windy and wet today here, though as nothing to the near 100 mph winds on some coasts.

4928.jpg?w=1920&q=85&auto=format&sharp=1

Newhaven, East Sussex, UK: Waves crash over the lighthouse as Storm Imogen batters the country. Follow our live news on the storm - Photograph: Glyn Kirk/AFP/Getty Images

http://www.theguardian.com/news/gallery/2016/feb/08/photo-highlights-carnival-rio-taiwan-rescue

8 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Power outage at place last night - pretty rare event. Fortunately back to normal now and I don't have to haul out the hand cranked gramophone !

Same here. Power was out from 2am until 4pm. Good job I was going out as we have sleet and snow at the moment, not too common an experience in Cornwall at least not in recent years. Storm Imogen was pretty awesome here although I didn't manage to get to the coast where waves were up to 60 feet in some places.

It's very cold out there (-18 C), but essentially no snow.  Yesterday and this morning, Toronto was colder than Yellowknife!  It's supposed to warm up a bit today and tomorrow will be hovering around freezing.  Doesn't change the fact that I have to go out today and am dreading it a bit.

Stayed home today in bitter cold, but went out to start the car (successfully!) at 3:30 PM and the temperature read 0, which might be a degree or two high because the car was sitting in the sun. Funny, after a low near -25 F Sunday morning, temp might hit +40 F on Tuesday, with pouring rain.

41 minutes ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Lovely crisp, cold, clear day yesterday until 4 and then:

P2141114%202000.jpg

Cold enough for a thin layer of the snow to have survived on soil and grass but crisp and clear again. But I wouldn't be surprised if...

Nice pic, Bev! No snow here, but COLD.