How's the weather?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We've had heavy rain for best part of a fortnight, until Wednesday. Since then, it's been bright and sunny, but BRASS MONKEYS!

I broke the ice on the pond this morning at 8.00. By half past, it had frozen again. This is VERY unusual for South Wales; slap in the sights of the Gulf Stream.

If it turns damp, we'll have a white Christmas. First one I've seen for decades.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

If it turns damp, we'll have a white Christmas. First one I've seen for decades.

MG

Up here in the North east, we've had two in the last five years. On at least one other occasion it's been way beow zero. We only need a bit of a breeze off the North Sea at this time of year and it really comes in cold. Not this year though I 'm sure. Foggy and cold perhaps.

MG

Up here in the North east, we've had two in the last five years. On at least one other occasion it's been way beow zero. We only need a bit of a breeze off the North Sea at this time of year and it really comes in cold. Not this year though I 'm sure. Foggy and cold perhaps.

Yeah, I lived in Leeds when I was a kid and we ALWAYS seemed to have white Christmases then.

Oh, and wonderful summers :D

MG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:rfr

Hurricane sweeps across Europe

POSTED: 8:02 a.m. EST, January 18, 2007

BERLIN, Germany (Reuters) -- Germans were told to stay indoors and many schools across the country closed early on Thursday as a rare hurricane bore down on the country, cutting air traffic at its biggest airport by half.

Germany's DWD meteorogical service said the storm "Kyrill" could generate winds of up to 180 km/h (112 mph) in high and exposed areas and as much as 130 km/h in lower-lying regions.

"What's unusual about this storm is that it will affect the whole country and not just certain zones," said Christoph Hartmann, a spokesman for the DWD in Offenbach.

The northwest of Germany would be the first to feel the full impact of Kyrill from early afternoon, before the storm swept across the rest of the country and moved eastwards into Poland, the Czech Republic and northern Austria, the DWD said.

Rain would likely continue into the weekend in affected areas, as the storm's force gradually dissipated, it added.

As Germans were warned on the radio and television to keep their cars away from trees and to stay indoors, authorities in states stretching across the length and breadth of the country said many schools were closing early due to Kyrill's arrival.

Rescue services around Germany said they had mobilized extra staff to prepare for potential flooding and destructive winds.

German airline Deutsche Lufthansa said it expected numerous flight cancellations and delays on Thursday, while Frankfurt airport said takeoffs and landings were cut by half.

Germany was not the only country hit. British and French rescue services rushed to pick up sailors forced to abandon a container ship after it began sinking in stormy waters in the Channel.

Copyright 2007 Reuters.

I've still got a 5-hour wait until it is supposed to hit here in full force.

Things are still relatively calm, but if I look at some of the maps, there's some real crap bearing down right on where I live (120 - 150 km winds expected about 4 to 5 hours from now, plus torrential rain). If the neighbors didn't have such loose roof tiles, I could actually enjoy the storm, but if it goes anything like the great big one a few years back, I'll be lucky if I don't get parts of their roof through my windows. Idiots. They haven't fixed a thing these past years and their house has always looked like nobody ever intended to finish it.

Edited by neveronfriday