How's the weather?

got some power outage 1h ago and the wind is ugly right now, shouldn't go outside :( , Railroad traffic in our area widely suspended for today.

Cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT: again power gone since 25min and using UMTS mobile to check weather conditions....ugly, ugly, ugly

Edited by tjobbe

We're at nearly 200 km wind speed here (basically, the storm is channeled through a flat area here. It's almost like a tunnel).

Fun. ;)

The neighbor's roof is beginning to deteriorate.

Crikey! Where the hell ARE you?

MG

I'm in south-western Germany, right along the Rhine river (the "tunnel") across from a city called Karlsruhe. Behind me, not far away, there is a mountain (hills, actually) range and where I live, stretching up for a few hundred kilometers, everything is flat, flat, flat. The wind races along the range and is really picking up speed around here. It's passing though absolutely unhindered.

My place is literally shaking, although it has so far withstood any of those darn storms. The roof is rock-solid, and so is everything else, but right now - because I've got two sides exposed to the onslaught of wind and rain (we just had a torrential downpour which luckily only lasted a few minutes, but the fire department is already pumping out basements a bit further down the street) - it sounds like the roof will come off in once piece instead of many.

It's also pitch bloody black outside right now, and the main force is still about 30 minutes away, I've heard.

A wild ride.

Edited by neveronfriday

Wow - Germany seems to have got it bad, although the reports I've read are that the UK got the worst of it as usual. That's very unusual for the mainland to see Atlantic storms of that ferocity (major damage even in Bavaria, I believe).

12 killed in Europe total so far today, 7 in the UK. :(

A friend of mine in the North of England smashed from falling roof tiles.

The wind was howling here in the SW from about 4am but although strong, the winds haven't done any major damage. About 50mph average.

Major chaos on roads, trains and planes..

Edited by sidewinder

lost again power for 1h and 1/4 of the roof of my barn....ups

Do you mean "oops"? Or do you mean the roof flew ups in the air?

Either way, hang in their my European Brothers. I lived in Hurricane Alley almost my entire life. They're definitely no fun at all. Looks like you had a Cat 2 strength storm. Was it mostly wind? If so, consider yourselves fairly lucky.

Hope everyone there is doing well.

both Scott, the german ups=oops and the ups=up as 10qm is gone with the wind...do not where it landed at least not on my property.

Hope that the worst is over now, but I fear it might start raining before I can close the holes. Have about 100 (missed a "0" there...should be 1000) bales of hey and straw in the barn.

Cheers, Oliver

Edited by tjobbe

Hey, whatever it takes to get rid of all this damn ice!!!

We've got more snow coming on Sunday, but I'll take it. I love snow. It's the ice that really grinds my ass! :angry:

One of the ladies where I work lost her father last weekend. The poor guy was out trying to clear ice from their sidewalk, slipped, busted his head wide open, and blam. Dead. That is seriously fucked up, in my book. :(

*edit*

We've got a basement garage, and when I came home last Friday, I damn near rammed into the corner of our house. Stopped three feet shy............

Edited by Scott Dolan

sunny now <_<, the storm was rushing through quicker than expected and left over some rain the night only, so as my Mosiac'S are all save its only the straw that gets a bit wet...

Btw, Mosaic's... the famous Dionysos mosaic in the cologne Museum of roman art is potentially damaged by a wooden pannel protecting a fountain 100m nearby crushing the window and falling on to it

1168024998148s.jpg

Cheers, Oliver

Edited by tjobbe

both Scott, the german ups=oops and the ups=up as 10qm is gone with the wind...do not where it landed at least not on my property.

Hope that the worst is over now, but I fear it might start raining before I can close the holes. Have about 100 (missed a "0" there...should be 1000) bales of hey and straw in the barn.

Cheers, Oliver

Oliver,

I was thinking about you last night ..... Hope you could fix it before the rain came.

We were more lucky here, the wind was blowing stronger than I have ever experienced before, but everything was still in place this morning. The high trees close to the house had to be chopped off several years ago, otherwise they would have come down on the house this time.

It was strange - for almost two hours it was pretty quiet here, like we were in the eye of a hurricane. Then it started for another round. Contrary to you, we are rather low between two hillranges - but your house up there, open to the west side .... geez.

Hope you all get through this safely!

Thanks Mike,

my direct neighbors suffered more heavy with a destroyed car and the other with lot's of scratches in the roof of his house we couldn't fix during the night so the rain go in there poring into the bathroom where the tried to catch and stop it somehow. In other cases only some damage to trees.

The leak I have in the barn's roof is at clear sight not that bad as it is only at an area where few bales where stapled so the majority has not suffered from the rain at all and kept dry.

Due to the height of the roof, there was not much chances to fix anything myself. I'm waiting for the guy to fix it at least temporarily but he's late due to all the damage

Cheers, Oliver