How's the weather?

Good lord! Feel like I was blown around Cape Horn last night. After a grim Sunday it really started to blow with relentless rain from around 9.00 PM until dawn. Currently low rain filled cloud for 300 degrees but just the glimmer of something lighter in the south. Oh, the country life.

Oh, the country life.

Damp but placid out here. We usually get the wet crap from Cornwall and Devon (attenuated) with a 4-5 hour lag after it hits landfall.

That's the main negative of Cornwall and Devon. Too wet ! Sounds like a good day to hit the pub/bookshop/pub-bookshop/coffee shop..

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

The sun shown brightly and unequivocally in Atlanta this morning, for the first time in - I don't really know - weeks. Many folks don't realize that Atlanta gets more rainfall than Seattle - about 50% more in an average year. Well, we're way off the charts this summer - it has been rainy and overcast every day for weeks here. Everything feels waterlogged, and everyone's yard is as overgrown as mine is, because it hasn't dried up enough to cut the grass.

I took advantage of the sun to take a longish (two-mile) walk through the city. It was nice. Of course, it was raining again by evening.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Think Brits might need this thread.

_70729529_ukstorm.jpg

Will also stop us cluttering up the Post a Pic thread.

Wind starting to pick up. If just gone out the clear the garden of anything likely to blow around.

Looks like a repeat of the '87 event - south devastated, north spared. Clearly God is not a Tory. :smirk:

Think Brits might need this thread.

_70729529_ukstorm.jpg

Will also stop us cluttering up the Post a Pic thread.

Wind starting to pick up. If just gone out the clear the garden of anything likely to blow around.

Looks like a repeat of the '87 event - south devastated, north spared. Clearly God is not a Tory. :smirk:

Then how did he become Education Secretary?

The forecasters don't seem to think it's going to be as bad as 1987. (Michael Fish says so, however, and he's the one who bolloxed up the 1987 forecast.) Anyway, we've battened down the hatches. I'm worried about one of our bay trees, which is in a very aesthetic pot that my wife likes but which ALWAYS falls over in a blow. It's in a sheltered place but...

MG

I've got a plantation of bay trees facing SW which is my first line of defence. Another plantation next door should take the sting out of it (hopefully).

Yes, bay trees are good when they're planted in the ground. The one we have in a pot, however, has been trimmed so it's a sphere about two feet across, about three feet above the pot.

MG

The perfect music for what's coming (even though it's still October):

http://youtu.be/abuEGBa-C4Y

And I love this from the BBC News site:

It said the predicted storm - named St Jude after the patron saint of depression and lost causes, whose feast day is on Monday - was not one "you would see every year".

Only in Britain!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

_70744922_019782548-1.jpg

Porthleven in Cornwall today.

Though what went through the minds of these nutters in Newquay I'm not sure:

_70744779_019781282-1.jpg

They get into trouble and other people have to come out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24690552

And a nice slideshow here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24694139

Still very calm here.

Edited by A Lark Ascending