How's the weather?

It is depressing...but it's all part of the warp and weft. I'd like a little more reliable sunshine in the summer (memories of putting my tent up in a gale in Cornwall last July) and guaranteed snow from 6.00 pm to 8.00 a.m. on 24th/25th Dec...but apart from that I wouldn't want to be anywhere else for more than a holiday. 

Glad I'm not here:

_86656834_zimellanbeichargyllandbute1211

An ominous picture as Abigail approaches Ellanbeich, Argyll and Bute. Taken by Zim.

Or here:

_86656830_skyewoodybreakishhighland1211.

Wet and windy in Breakish, Highland. Captured by Skye Woody.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/34803702

Edited by A Lark Ascending

22 minutes ago, A Lark Ascending said:

That place and indeed the whole of the Fylde is renowned for its horizontal rain. Every time I'm in the area it has been that way !

Edited by sidewinder

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

That place and indeed the whole of the Fylde is renowned for its horizontal rain. Every time I'm in the area it has been that way !

I'm afraid the closest I've been to that coast (apart from the Cumbrian part) is the M6. 

Useful flood warning map on the BBC website. Good for house hunting!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26189096

I'm in the clear; except that I have to drive into Sheffield later and the Don is highlighted. 

• 2 weeks later...

3500.jpg?w=700&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

Prestwick (near Glasgow).

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/nov/29/christmas-lights-stay-off-as-storm-clodagh-hits-britain-and-ireland

Not quite like this in Worksop but has been wet and very blowy. This one has been called Storm Clodagh. Someone at the met office must have one of those babies' names books. 

Not if you remember:

Clodagh+Rodgers+Come+Back+And+Shake+Me+4

Quite an apt song!

Not sure how this would cope in the weather:

3573.jpg?w=700&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

"Amazon has unveiled a new hybrid delivery drone that can fly both vertically, as a helicopter capable of landing in customers’ backyards, and horizontally like a conventional plane. The drone can travel up to 15 miles at high speed."

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/29/amazon-unveils-hybrid-delivery-drone-prototype

Doesn't say what the drone does if you are not in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Still unseasonally warm. The whole of November was overcast and now the North has had awful floods.

Should be sunny today but still cloudy here (though a nice blue spread in the North). Tomorrow we're promised a bit of snow in late afternoon! 

On Tuesday we had one of those changeable days with mighty, ever changing cloud formations and some of the most spectacular rainbows I've seen.

PC080302%202000.jpg

The Last Days are clearly upon us.  

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

The Last Days are clearly upon us.  

You're probably right! In the past few days green shoots have appeared on my hedge and birds are active in a spring-like way. Sufficiently paranoid to have been looking at the Dept of Environment's flood risk map (put in your postcode). Looks quite reassuring now, but when it was first published a decade ago there was an outcry about the extent of flooding risk and a "revised" version was issued. On the original a once-in-a-hundred-years flooding of the Mersey brought the waters to within 200 yards of my front door :( Recent events have shown us that once in a hundred years probably means before 2020.

5 hours ago, BillF said:

You're probably right! In the past few days green shoots have appeared on my hedge and birds are active in a spring-like way. Sufficiently paranoid to have been looking at the Dept of Environment's flood risk map (put in your postcode). Looks quite reassuring now, but when it was first published a decade ago there was an outcry about the extent of flooding risk and a "revised" version was issued. On the original a once-in-a-hundred-years flooding of the Mersey brought the waters to within 200 yards of my front door :( Recent events have shown us that once in a hundred years probably means before 2020.

It flooded the middle of Worksop in 2009 - up the main road to about half a mile from me. Nothing like that at any time in the 24 years I've lived here. But then it has only heavily snowed once. I expected to spend three months of each year snowed in this far north! 

22 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Understatement of the year right there, where you here in '96?

In Oregon, yes, in Portland, no--moved to the city from Eastern Oregon in 2012.  But hey, if one can't take the rain, this ain't the city to live in, right?  That said, it really HAS been wet!!

gregmo

_87217600_1212-daffs-place-rachelfinlays

Daffodils come early! One of many sightings over the last few weeks. These were spotted near Luccombe, Somerset by Rachel Finlayson on 12 December.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/35102687

I keep spotting trees that look ready to bud.

There are going to be tears! 

13 minutes ago, A Lark Ascending said:

_87217600_1212-daffs-place-rachelfinlays

Daffodils come early! One of many sightings over the last few weeks. These were spotted near Luccombe, Somerset by Rachel Finlayson on 12 December.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/35102687

I keep spotting trees that look ready to bud.

There are going to be tears! 

Exmoor - some weird micro-climates up there..