AOTW April 19 - 24 Grand Encounter by John Lewis

tooter

"the ultimate in cool jazz" (AMG - Scott Yanow). This is the one album I'd take to my desert island if only one was allowed. I'm listening now to the first track now, and wholeheartedly agree that this is archetypal cool, because notice has been a little short. I only read your email about an hour ago, Jodigrind, but thanks indeed for passing the ball to me. I am very pleased indeed to have a go, at the first time of asking too.

I think a lot of the fascination of John Lewis's playing is in the timing. I remember reading somewhere that he is thought by some to sound like someone picking at an unwanted meal when he improvises but not to me. He is thoughtful, deliberate and a consummate artist. And the match with Bill Perkins is sublime. The title track (alternative) is one of my all time favourites too.

I won't go on about the the rest of the album at this stage - will wait to hear what others think - except to say that for me it's goose pimples/bumps time.

Hope you like it! And that there are lots of contributions!

The album was (at one time) available on Capitol CDP7 46859 2 and was not an import. (on CD).

John Lewis fans might want to check out (if they have not already done so) "Evolution, P.O.V (LP only I think), and probably the best of the lot "Improvised Meditation and Excursions". There's also a French Polygram called "The Private Concert" which is lovely.

Tooter, your taste is "something else".

This is a timeless classic. I had the vinyl when I was a teenager in the 50s. It's one of those irresistable albums that drew me to a lifelong love of jazz. Got the cd in 1988.

It's just about perfect, not a not too many and everyone on the right place. Perk is great especially on "Love Me Or Leave Me". Hall shines throughout. As well as accompanying Lewis manages to get some nice counterpoint in too. Heath and Hamilton are just right for the date.

Love it, five stars. :tup

Edited by JohnS

I've only got the LP but no bonus tracks on CD? Nice to know you like it as much as I do. Sometimes I can like an album so much that I don't play it for quite a while, somehow afraid that the "mirage" will disappear with overplaying. Does that make sense? Never found it happen yet though.

I don't have this but am really fond of John Lewis, he really seemed to underappreciated. Damned for formalising the MJQ and removing their swing. Theory seems to be that the MJQ only floated due to Bags.

I've never really got the MJQ thing but Lewis's later solo and trio work is priceless. Evolutio 1 an II being wonderful.

I think all of John Lewis' albums as a leader are worth listening, most of them are underrated, this one here tops the list.

Too much has been made of the tension between Jackson and Lewis - that Lewis could swing, but in his own elegant way, is evident from many an album - a recent AOW, Sonny Stitt Plays Bird is a prime example. I second the recommendation on the albums jazzman4133 has mentioned.

To these ears, Lewis is at the very top of the list of jazz pianists with a beautiful touch and elegance. Except for two 78's in France, this was his debut as a leader!!! What a helluva debut!!!

The trio version here of I Can't Get Started to me is the most beautiful of that tune ever recorded, alongside Prez'.

p.s. Can anbody provide me with a CDR of P.O.V.?

Edited by mikeweil

Another thought: This is the first evidence of John Lewis' longterm collaboration with elegant guitar players: Jim Hall, who also was on some Atlantics recorded soon after, Barry Galbraith, and since the 1980's, Howard Collins.

Listen to how beautifully Lewis and Hall interact; compare with the Hall/Evans collaborations and marvel at the great difference in conception these two master pianists elicited from Hall.

It's P.O.V. and not P.O.W.. Chamber jazz. Lewis takes some wonderful solos as does Richard Davis, bass. Also featured are Mel Lewis, drums, Harold Jones, flute + violin and cello.

If you are at all into what used to be called "Third Stream" (for want of a better description) you will love this album. If you are a John Lewis fan you will love this album. If you like good music without regard to putting a title to it, you will love this album.

No more love for that beautiful album?! Or ist it just that so few have it? I'd be surpprised - it was one of the first Pacific Jazz titles Cuscuna reissued, and he hailed it as one of the labels classics, which it is, alongside the Mulligan/Baker quartet, Almeida/Shank and some Baker and Chico Hamilton.

No more love for that beautiful album?! Or ist it just that so few have it? I'd be surpprised - it was one of the first Pacific Jazz titles Cuscuna reissued, and he hailed it as one of the labels classics, which it is, alongside the Mulligan/Baker quartet, Almeida/Shank and some Baker and Chico Hamilton.

Uh, I'm ABSOLUTELY SURE I'd have loads of love for it... if only I had it!

ubu :(

It's P.O.V. and not P.O.W..

If  you are at all into what used to be called "Third Stream" (for want of a better description) you will love this album. .

my bad...it is of course. P.O.V

and it's pretty good, strikes me as jazz through and through...

Edited by Clunky

• 6 years later...

Up for air after six years.

Listening to this right now (TOCJ 6115), and I have to say that it might just be the best-recorded album on Pacific Jazz. Staggeringly present soundstage. Really, really beautiful. The kind of CD that stereo shops should use (yeah, right) to show off their high end gear. The breath coming from the sides of Bill Perkins' mouth is almost a separate instrument — like brushes on the most delicate snare head.

But never mind that — the music is sublime. The low flames are sometimes the most concentrated. On the surface this album would seem sleepy, but everyone seems actually quite alert, placing notes here and there with deliberate care.

If something can be paradoxically low-key and intense at the same time, this album would be a model example.

• 3 weeks later...

I too was among those who bought the LP when it first came out in the 50's. It is, in my opinion, a true classic of west coast jazz.

Bill Perkins was one of my very favorite tenor saxophone players. He had that Pres influenced cool style down pat, and his sound on the horn was gorgeous. Unfortunately he later changed his style and his sound which disappointed me greatly.

John Lewis and Jim Hall also make lovely contributions to this fine session.

Some albums just seem to click. Everyone here seems to be at their very best and shares the spirit of the session. Even the cover

seems to reflect the the time in which it was recorded and the basic feeling of the music.

I picked up the CD on Pacific Jazz when it initially became available.

Haven't played it in a while. This thread has inspired me to pull it off the shelf and play it very soon.