BFT #9 - Answers

Alexander

Well, the discussion thread seems to have petered out. I know that thanks to the good people at German Customs, the disc was delayed for some of our European friends. The disc can still be discussed on the discussion thread, but I thought it was time to get the answers up for the people who've been living with it for a while.

1. Body and Soul - Jimmy Rowles from "Stan Getz Presents...The Peacocks"

A couple of people got this one. The most impressive was (I think) Brownie, who identified Rowles by his left hand! Amazing! This is a beautiful recording, and it was always my intention to start my BFT with this track, even before I settled on the piano theme.

2. Mr. Jelly Lord - Jelly Roll Morton Trio from "Birth of the Hot: The Classic Chicago 'Red Hot Peppers' Sessions, 1926-27"

Again, several people got this one. Johnny Dodds was on clarinet, Baby Dodds on drums.

3. What Love Is This? - The Bad Plus

No one got this one. The track was an exclusive from iTunes.

4. In a Mist - Bix Beiderbecke from "Singin' the Blues"

This is one of my very favorite solo piano recordings, plus I thought it would make for a nice curve-ball. Those who are very familiar with early jazz got this one easily, others found it a little harder.

5. Satin Doll - Bud Powell from "Paris Sessions"

Gilbert Rovere on bass, Kansas Fields on drums. Not one of Bud's best sessions by a long shot, but still full of his trademark wit. I have a special fondness for this one, so I included it. I was a little surprised that some people had a hard time with this, since I feel that Bud has a very distinctive sound.

6. Just One Of Those Things - Art Tatum from "The Complete Pablo Group Masterpieces"

Divine. What more need be said? Red Callender on bass, Jo Jones on drums.

7. Lush Life - Bobby Timmons from "This Here is Bobby Timmons"

This one stumped a lot of people. A lovely recording, and proof that Timmons could do more than play hard bop.

8. The Man I Love - Bill Evans (right channel) and Bob Brookmeyer (left channel) from "The Ivory Hunters"

Whatever God you believe in, pray to him or her that this disc be reissued soon. It is magnificent. I had a lot of you going with this one for a while, but someone got it. I'm very impressed! Percy Heath on bass, Connie Kay on drums.

9. Nagasaki - Albert Ammons and Meade Lux Lewis from "The First Day: Blue Note's First Recording Session of 1/6/39"

I had you guys running up and down blind alleys thinking that this was Fats Waller! A friend of mine (a pianist) guessed James P. Johnson, so don't feel bad. Someone got it eventually. Fun little track, isn't it?

10. Blackbird - Brad Mehldau from "The Art of the Trio, vol. 1"

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. Easy one. I had to make one track easy!

Seriously, it's a nice rendition. I always recommend this album to people who aren't into jazz, but are looking for some nice piano music. My wife LOVED this track.

11. Someday My Prince Will Come - Keith Jarrett from "Up For It"

This is such a beautiful recording, if only someone would just tape Jarrett's mouth up! I love this album regardless of Jarrett's horrid bleating, which gives you an idea of how well he plays here. For those who thought Jarrett was just self-indulgent solo performances, the Standards trio (with Gary Peacock on bass and Jack DeJohnnett on drums) is a pleasant surprsie. I chose this track because the bleating only came in half-way through the performance, and that would mean at least five minutes where you'd be wondering. As soon as Jarrett starts his show, it's all over. I'm impressed that some were able to identify this recording by Peacock's bass playing. I'm not sure I could do that.

12. I Should Care - Thelonious Monk from "Monk Alone"

I'm surprised that it took so long for people to start getting this one. I thought Monk would be a gimmie.

13. Phantom of the Bopera - The Fred Hirsch Trio from "Live at the Village Vanguard"

Now we come to the three tracks nobody got. This is from a wonderful 2002 live album on Palmetto. Drew Gress on bass, and Nasheet Waits on drums. Highly recommended. I also recommend Hirsch's most recent disc, "The Fred Hirsch Trio + 2" with the same personnel and Ralph Alessi (trumpet) and Tony Malaby on tenor sax. Great stuff.

14. Blue Wail - The Uri Caine Trio from "Blue Wail"

Another one nobody got. This is from a 1998 album on Winter and Winter. I first heard Caine with Dave Douglas, and was moved to pick up his own work. This is probably the best place to start, as it is the most immediately accessable.

15. Body and Soul - Jason Moran from "Modernistic"

Frankly, I'm shocked that nobody got this one. Great album, great pianist.

And that's it! I want to thank everybody for their participation in my BFT. I had a blast putting it together and reading your responses. This was a wonderful experience that I won't soon forget.

Ciao! :g

Edited by Alexander

Magnificient. And thanks again Alex.

No wonder I could not figure out the last three. Not really familiar with these piano players.

Not identifying that track 9 Nagasaki is hard to swallow. I love that first BN record. Can't figure out how I missed it.

Won't change my unenthusiastic appraisal of the Bad Plus or Keith Jarrett. I just do not like KJ's piano playing, mouth wide open or shut!

someone please clear me up on that track nine: these are TWO pianist playing at one piano or what? No wonder we thought it was Waller, he was BIG! :g

edit: damn, forgot to thank you again alexander, there were some splendid new things here for me. And I realised that I am not THAT bad at guessing pianists...

Edited by couw

Arghh ... didn't nail three I have, just didn't take my time - blame it on the customs.

# 1 - So this is Rowles playing Body And Soul? I have that disc, and had the LP before, its had been my first exposure to Rowles, but didn't impress me that much. In the meantime he became one of my favorites, but not for this disc. This is a little scattered compared to his best solos, IMO.

# 2 - I have this one! Didn't check thoroughly enough. Too many CDS, too little time ... at least I thought of Morton.

# 3 - Never heard them before.

# 4 - Sure that was Bix - way ahead of his time. It was Ralph Sutton doing all the solos for Commodore. This is among my favorite piano solo music.

# 5 - Bud Powell detoriated - sorry to say that. Poor fellow.

# 6 - I got Jo Jones, Tatum I thought of, but haven't heard the group stuff so far.

# 7 - I had that on LP, but didn't like this solo. He doesn't do too much with it. I dig Timmons, but not with material like this. (The original liner called his other solo on that LP "My Funky Valentine" ...)

# 8 - Very playful disc. Glad I have it.

# 9 - Was too lazy to check my Ammons/Lewis Mosaic. Too little time ...

# 10 - That Mehldau is too lightweight, for my taste.

# 11 - Jarrett, alright.

# 12 - Nice to see how people can be mislead by hearing Monk out of context!

# 13 - Fred Hersch - that one is on my wish list ever since it was out! That guy is from the Evans/Corea school, but good! And Freddie Waits' offspring is one of the finest drummers of his generation!

# 14 - Uri Caine? Was curious about this ever since it came out, but this track leaves me lukewarm.

# 15 - Jason Moran!!!! Still have to buy this one - still I'm disappointed he doesn't take this idea any farther.

Thanks for that damn fine piano lesson!!!

9. Nagasaki - Albert Ammons and Meade Lux Lewis from "The First Day: Blue Note's First Recording Session of 1/6/39"

The Mosaic has this as "The Sheik of Araby" - now which issue has got the title wrong? This track was first issued in that box. The melody does not sound like the Sheik to me, BTW. Is there any note about this in the Blue Note CD booklet?

1. Don't have it. I wonder why not. Beautiful!

2. I'm working my way back and haven't reached those recordings yet. But now I have to.

3. Yep. I like these guys. Very, very interesting stuff ... and quite quirky. I watched some online video not so long ago where they played live in some radio studio. Can't recall where, but it certainly got all my attention. Very, very intersting and sometimes quirky stuff. Interesting new twists all around.

4. A classic. Often played around here.

5. I have that one. I guessed Powell, but I didn't know the exact details.

6. Yep. I went to look for that one today ...AND found it, which rarely ever happens. Both boxes are regular CD fodder, but telling all of this stuff apart and nailing down sessions is way beyond my abilities.

7. Nope. But something I have to definitely look into.

8. Yo! Love it! I've got a really awful, err, uhm, copy of it.

9. Damn. I had no clue.

10. Easy, and contrary to many others, just like the Jarret below, I think it's excellent. I have all the Mehldau Trio discs, but they are just too much of a good thing. I get tired of his playing easily these days. It just doesn't have the depth to keep up my interest for too long, and no matter how varied and positive the reviews for later recordings were, I think starting with disc three, M. didn't have much more to say. The same stuff for the umpteenth time.

11. Despite the adverse recording circumstances and the day-glo cover, I love this disc. And I don't give a hoot about the groaning. I've gotten to think that it's part of the music. I love to watch this guy. I think he's one of the most sincere players alive today, contrary to the frequent "it's all an act" statements. The Standards stuff is superb, also or especially on DVD.

12. The Monk was instant recognition, simply because my dad and I disected that one a few weeks back. And, Monk is not so easily recognizable all the time. I tricked myself many a time when I put some of my own collection burns on. Monk can sometimes be a lot more tricky when isolated and presented in a piano selection.

13. Nope. A definite must-buy.

14. Sorry, Caine is not my cup of tea. But it might very well be one day.

15. Damn good. Must have.

Again, beautiful disc, right up my alley and already now my favourite BFT disc. In 2007 I will top it with my selection (yeah, right). ;)

Cheers!

[edited for the keyboard malfunctions]

Edited by deus62

About track 5 'Satin Doll' by Bud Powell. I did not identify that one immediately. I knew it was Bud but could not trace where it came from. I had that track on the Mythic Sound CD that has most of this 'Bud Powell in Paris' material. Things did not go very well at this session which was supervised by Duke Ellington himself. Bud Powell did not like the selection of Kansas Fields as the drummer. That selection was Bud's companion Buttercup's choice.

Bud Powell was right. Kansas Fields is a pain throughout that session. Kenny Clarke would have been the perfect man for the occasion.

I had you guys running up and down blind alleys thinking that this was Fats Waller! A friend of mine (a pianist) guessed James P. Johnson, so don't feel bad. Someone got it eventually. Fun little track, isn't it?

No excuse. Even though I do not have that "First day..." disc, I MUST BE very closed-ears to mistake Fats Waller for Albert Ammons PLUS Meade Lux Lewis... :(

...and you can´t blame it on brownie leading me to blind alleys :D it was my mistake!!!

2. Mr. Jelly Lord - Jelly Roll Morton Trio from "Birth of the Hot: The Classic Chicago 'Red Hot Peppers' Sessions, 1926-27"

Again, several people got this one. Johnny Dodds was on clarinet, Baby Dodds on drums.

If you like that one.... PICK THE CENTENNIAL EDITION 5 CD SET WITH HIS COMPLETE VICTOR RECORDINGS FROM 1926 TO 1939 !!!

someone please clear me up on that track nine: these are TWO pianist playing at one piano or what?

I take it from the Mosaic booklet that it was two guys, two pianos.

So now we have the ranking:

-Waller could sound like two pianists

-and Tatum could sound like three! :P

# 4 - Sure that was Bix - way ahead of his time. It was Ralph Sutton doing all the solos for Commodore. This is among my favorite piano solo music.

I have to correct myself and apologize for my fast response - we're both right regarding # 4, the Bix solo.

Bix himself recorded only this one piece, In A Mist.

Jess Stacy recorded a medley of In The Dark & Flashes for British Parlophone in 1935, and Candlelights for Commodore in 1939.

Ralph Sutton recorded all four pieces as a suite for Commodore in 1950.

I also have complete recordings by Kenny Werner (Finnadar, 1978, reissued on Atlantic CD), and Italian classical pianist Marco Fumo (Dynamic, 1987), the latter in a very interesting recital he calls Last Time Rag, that ranges from Scott Joplin and Jelly Roll Morton over Bix and Fats Waller to Debussy and Stravinskij and 1980's composers.

Any other recordings any board member knows about? (Thanks, as always!)

Dick Hyman made a very personal cover in "The piano giants at Bob Haggart´s 80th Birthday party" (Arbors). This disc includes Ralph Sutton, Derek Smith and Dick Hyman, playing solo or in trio sets.

Hyman strays from the original partiture more than what has been usual.

BTW: apart from the four "recognized" Bix piano pieces, "In a mist", "Candlelights", "Flashes" and "Candlelight", there are three additional compositions (under discussion).

This is extracted from Bix Discussion site:

"Additional Compositions by Bix: Authentic or Apocryphal?

Whenever Bix had spare time and there was a piano around, he would sit and play "beautiful chords". His genius for improvisation was remarkable, and it is likely that he "composed" numerous pieces in this manner. It is also likely that these "compositions" were not quite organized and finished. Since they were not written down or recorded, they were ephemeral. There are two possible exceptions.

Cloudy. In the documentary "Bix: Ain't None of Them Play Like Him Yet", Charlie Davis, band leader and composer of "Copenhagen", states that he heard Bix play a composition that he called "Cloudy". Davis claims that he recorded that tune in his mind and played it in the documentary. A transcription of the tune (music and lyrics) was published as the last page of the book "That Band from Indiana" by Charlie Davies, Mathom Publishing Company, Oswego, NY, 1982. The tune was recorded by Randy Sandke and is available in the CD Awakening (Concord CD 42049-2). Randy Sandke made an arrangement for trumpet and orchestra and gives it the subtitle "Homage to Bix". According to Randy Sandke (Bix Beiderbecke: Observing a Genius at Work, 1996), this may be the same tune called "Clouds" and described by Chip Deffaa in his book "Voices of the Jazz Age", University of Illinois Press, Urbana and Chicago, 1990. "Stacy, who adored Beiderbecke's work, remembered him playing a piece called "Clouds" in a jam session once."

In the documentary, Davis states that Bix was a "black key man". This is incorrect. I take the expression "black key man" to describe a musician who prefers to play predominantly in keys, that, on the piano, include numerous black keys in the scale. All of Bix's piano music was written in the key of C. As a matter of fact, Bill Challis and Paul Mertz were quite upset when they heard Davies' comment about the black keys. Bill Challis, who worked with Bix and transcribed all of Bix's piano compositions, knew well that Bix was not a "black key man". (I am grateful to Joe Giordano, Bixophile, collector, and writer, who knew Bill Challis, for this information.)

Betcha I Getcha. On December 13, 1973, Dick Hyman, Joe Venuti and drummer Panama Francis recorded "Shreveport Stomp" and "The Perfect Rag" as part of a Columbia album of Jelly Roll Morton pieces specially arranged by Dick Hyman. In an article that he published in the June 1985 issue of "Keyboard", Dick Hyman writes: "After a bit Joe himself sat down at the piano and astonished me by playing what he claimed was an unpublished composition by Bix Beiderbecke. He said it was called "Betcha I Getcha." "Whether what he played is in fact something of Beiderbecke's or merely another of the great Venuti gags cannot be determined". "The eight opening bars sound Bixian, without a doubt, but on the other hand Joe was perfectly familiar with Bix's style, and might have been able to replicate it with a theme of his own." "The middle strain is most likely Joe marking time, and the title sounds like a Venuti invention. However, the possible validity of the main theme is tantalizing."

A transcription of "Betcha I Getcha" is available in the article mentioned above and in Dick Hyman's book "Piano Pro" (1992, Ekay Music).

Brooklets. In the June 5, 1996 issue of the Princeton Recollector, under the Class Notes for '32, there is an excerpt of a letter dated April 17, 1992 from Charles L. Smith: "In the late Spring of 1931, I remember, Bix Beiderbecke came down as a member of a professional dance band to play at a local dance, and the next morning, a Sunday morning, he and Bill Priestley, a 'pupil' of his, my brother Shelley of Triangle Club fame, and Doug McNamee and others gathered at Doug's house. Bix played some piano for us, but his lip was 'gone' from the night before, so he did not play cornet. He played a piano piece that he told us had just recently been named 'Brooklets' by a bartender of his acquaintance in Greenwich Village."

Chip Deffaa also mentions "Brooklets" in his book "Voices of the Jazz Age. On the basis of a 1983 interview with Charles Smith, Deffaa writes "(Smith) recalled Beiderbecke playing a new piano composition called "Brooklets", which he had not yet put on paper."

There is no transcription of this alleged composition by Bix."