JJ Johnson Mosaic

The JJ's seem to be moving at a clip of about one copy per day -- not quite 'hotcakes'.

This box set has been available forever. It doesn't quite rank as popular as hotcakes. It'll be interesting to see if there will be any price bump on the secondary market once it sells out. It might take some time...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The JJ's seem to be moving at a clip of about one copy per day -- not quite 'hotcakes'.

This box set has been available forever. It doesn't quite rank as popular as hotcakes. It'll be interesting to see if there will be any price bump on the secondary market once it sells out. It might take some time...

I forget, how many sets did $$1 get? :crazy:

Of that, I have no doubt. Heck, there are plenty of people who are out there plunking down $20, 30+ more for a "scarce" NM Mobley or Jazztet set that's still available. Once you tack on 'Rare'/'OOP' to the listing, you'll pull in the same sort of melonhead like me who'll spend $100+ for some 'Rare'/'OOP' mini-lp!!! :crazy::wacko:

Glancing at my database, I see that I bought this set in... 1996 :excl::blink: Hard to believe it was available for 10 years...

...and just think, stacks of Mobley's are still sitting on the shelves.

Mobley will be my next purchase. I REALLY don't want to be without that one.

• 8 months later...

It's very good. Great tunes, first-rate charts (by Oliver Nelson and Gary McFarland) - it's a nice contrast to the many hard bop style dates in his discography. If you like Johnson, I can't imagine not having this one.

It's a good record, but I still think J.J.'s RCA records would have made a good Select. "The Total J. J. Johnson" is every bit as good as "J.J." IMHO, and it would be fun to have the more commercial stuff as well.

I asked this before and didn't get a reply , so I'll try again .

On J.J. ! , are the two previously unissued Tom McIntosh charts of the same quality as the Johnson and McFarland ones ?

I ask , because I already have the Spanish RCA CD which sounds good , and so my decision on whether or not to upgrade to the Mosaic depends on the answer .

Also , do those who have heard Stonebone think it would be a worthy candidate for Mosaic Singles treatment ?

• 11 years later...

I slept on the J.J. Johnson Mosaic.  I downloaded it from a friendly source and just got around to listening to it.  It is  one of the best box sets from start to finish that I have listened to. 

Question to those familiar with the set:  On my digital version there are noticeably glitches at the 2:00 mark on "Walking" on Disc 4 and at the 1:20 mark on "Laura" on Disc 4.  Is that the case on all copies?  I just want to know whether it just was an issue with the download.

I will probably be looking to score  2d hand copy. 

18 minutes ago, sonnyhill said:

I slept on the J.J. Johnson Mosaic.  I downloaded it from a friendly source and just got around to listening to it.  It is  one of the best box sets from start to finish that I have listened to. 

Question to those familiar with the set:  On my digital version there are noticeably glitches at the 2:00 mark on "Walking" on Disc 4 and at the 1:20 mark on "Laura" on Disc 4.  Is that the case on all copies?  I just want to know whether it just was an issue with the download.

I will probably be looking to score  2d hand copy. 

I played my "office mp3" versions just now and neither of those songs had a glitch so it's likely your source. I doubt that Exact Audio Copy is that good. :)