JJ Johnson Mosaic

I did a search and did not find a specific thread for the JJ Johnson Mosaic box.

169.jpg

I've been reading rumors that the JJ box could be going to Running Low/Last Chance soon. Is this information verifiable?

The Mosaic website provides the following information about the remastering:

Transfer and remix engineer: Debra Parkinson

Who is Debra Parkinson?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Debra Parkinson works for Columbia Records, or at least has done a number of great sounding remasterings for Columbia Records.

The sound on this set is ---in my opinion---very very good. Like the porridge that Goldilocks settled on, "just right."

I panicked and ordered the set in January, thinking it had to hit running low pretty soon. I was wrong with the prediction, but not with ordering the set! Very nice music, and (at least to my ears) not "just another hard bop Mosaic". You probably don't have to leap until it actually hits the list, but don't miss it! (But then, doesn't someone say that about every Mosaic? I can't wait until someone scares me into ordering the Four Freshman set... :lol: )

I can't wait until someone scares me into ordering the Four Freshman set.

I passed on the Illinois Jacquet box. I can pass on the Four Freshman box. However, I don't want to pass/miss the J.J. box.

Edited by wesbed

I've been reading rumors that the JJ box could be going to Running Low/Last Chance soon. Is this information verifiable?

This set has been out for 7-8 years. While there's no word that this set will soon be OOP, history dictates that it can't be around too much longer. I ordered it last week simply because of all the Mosaic sets in print it's the one I most wanted.

That's true: Bobby Jaspar is indeed just ONE good reason to order this set! I knew he was great before this from Mercury recordings of his as a leader, and sideman work with Hank Jones and others, but his prowess is really evident here; he's working HARD.

As is Elvin and Tootie Heath. . . two great drummers, and two more good reasons to buy this set!

I was thinking... if I purchase the J.J. box, I won't be able to come back to this thread and criticize McMaster, Addey or Van Gelder. :rmad:

Ms. Parkinson is in the same league as the names of McMaster, RVG, and Addey that we are accustomed to?

This one is by far one of my favorites Mosaics, and not just because I play trombone. JJ was/is a musician's musician- his solos transcend the perceived limitations of the instrument. They are beautifully constructed and thoughtful, and are interesting to learned ears while being accessible (and "transcribable") to younger players. JJ had some favorite signature licks, but he never "phoned it in" to my knowledge. He also possessed a sound that is to this day the "industry standard" of what constitutes a great jazz trombone sound.

His programs are also more interesting and thought-out than most; he always features interesting and creative arrangements that don't seem to inhibit anyone's performances by being overly restrictive. And seldom will you ever hear a JJ project that sounds under-rehearsed.

Don't let this one pass you by!!

Another big :tup for this set and Bobby Jaspar. It's incredible that this set is still around. If you like Bobby Jaspar, don't miss his cd on the Jazz in Paris series.

There's two, the second ("Jeux de Quartes") flute only, but very good, with a flute/vibes frontline.

I love the J.J.! One of the best, indeed! I've had it for years.

Jaspar is great, the Flanagan-Little-Jones rhythm section is great. The all stars quartet with Flanagan, P.C. and Roach is great, the band with just brass frontline (J.J. and Nat Adderley) is great, Nat Adderley in general is great, Freddie Hubbard is great... so much great music on 7CDs... and the sound is great, for my ears, too!

ubu

Will everyone just S-H-U-T U-P already!

Jeez, just stop using words like great, fantastic, awesome, etc. with these sets.

I need clothes, I need to paint my place, I finally want to actually go on holidays this summer instead of just always talking about it, I want to finally invest some more into my drum kit, I need good connectors for my stereo ... AND NOT ANOTHER MOSAIC AGAIN!

QUIET!

SHUT UP!

*please*

:(

Will everyone just S-H-U-T U-P already!

Jeez, just stop using words like great, fantastic, awesome, etc. with these sets.

I need clothes, I need to paint my place, I finally want to actually go on holidays this summer instead of just always talking about it, I want to finally invest some more into my drum kit, I need good connectors for my stereo ... AND NOT ANOTHER MOSAIC AGAIN!

QUIET!

SHUT UP!

*please*

Hey, easy! I only used the word "great" (although more than once ;) )

ubu

It would be interesting to learn if sales of the JJ Johnson Mosaic go up, even if only slightly, this week, due to this thread. Reading the posts in this thread is making me want to purchase the JJ box.

My intention, when I started this thread, was not to try to convince myself to purchase another Mosaic box.

Fek! Fek you, wesbed. :rolleyes:

Edited by wesbed

Scott of Mosaic has confirmed that the JJ set is 'safe' from the Running Low list at least until well into 2005 (barring a sudden big surge in sales or unforseen licensing issues cropping up).

So, no need to hit the panic button just yet.

Wow, 2005? That's a heck of a run. At the risk of pissing people off, I've got to add my voice to the critical hosanas this box is getting. This is the kind of set that could change your mind about Johnson. If you ever thought that he was kind of facile but lacking in substance, give this a listen. All respect to Teagarden, Vic Dickenson, and Curtis Fuller, but J.J. was THE MAN. :tup

(Moose, you DON'T have the Four Freshman set? What's up with that??)

:g

Scott of Mosaic has confirmed that the JJ set is 'safe' from the Running Low list at least until well into 2005 (barring a sudden big surge in sales or unforseen licensing issues cropping up).

So, no need to hit the panic button just yet.

Hmmm, this will be the second Mosaic set composed of Sony-owned recordings that will have been around for far longer than expected - 8 years this fall. (The first, of course, was the Woody Shaw set.)

This set truly is wonderful. I was able to pick it up cheaply from Collectors' Choice Music several years ago when they were selling it as well as the Hank Mobley set at prices considerably lower than Mosaic's. Thanks again to (I want to say Tony Jerant) for alerting everyone on the BNBB at the time to this sale.

Will everyone just S-H-U-T  U-P already!

QUIET!

SHUT UP!

*please*

Hey, when every day is your birthday acquiring stuff you want should be no problem! ;)