JJ Johnson Mosaic

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm listening to it right now--ordered it when it first went into "Running Low".  It's terrific. :tup

Man, now I gotta get it out now!

It's damn hard to go thru new stuff when the old ones keep callin' ya back! :lol:

At the moment, I'm diggin' all these quartet tracks with Tommy Flanagan, Paul Chambers, and Max Roach. :w Who knew? :excited:

Thank you all for the input!

I've decided to pick the JJ box over Anita because I am a million times more an instrumental guy rather than vocals and I have a very limited budget to work with (can only afford 1 box right now).

Besides, I missed out on the Byrd/Adams set (I kick myself everyday for that) and a ton of other great stuff in the past, so I might as well start here.

Edited by trane_fanatic

Got mine and am listening to it now for the first time.  Great stuff, impressive arrangements.

Sure is! As our King (Ubu) has pointed out, the set (that applies) could easily be filed under Jaspar as well. (I'm tempted to write his name in White Out on the blank part of the black spine just to remind me.) A good part of it makes for a Flanagan box as well. Great stuff indeed!

About Jaspar, it's quite interesting to compare the earliest with the reunion date (and his pre-US and post-US European recordings). His sound and style certainly changed in an "NYC" way... he sounds a bit unsure on those first sides, and is playing very soft on his early recordings. Not so anymore, after the J.J. experience. The album (reissued on French RCA) he did with René Thomas and an italian rhythm section is ample proof of that, too - quite different from how he plays on his Vogue recordings (petty those CDs are OOP).

• 7 months later...

since this set was released almost 10 years ago......

how is the sound / remastering on this set?

thanks

Dude, you listen to MP3s all day--what do you care? :P

Just kidding. It sounds great to me. :tup:rolleyes:

My concerns mirror those of SS.

This set was mastered in 1996. As far as the Mosaic website states, it doesn't appear to have been mastered in 20-bit or 24-bit.

Can we get some other comments on the mastering? (Ron S likes everything! ;)^_^ )

Edited by connoisseur series500

It's great. The sound is excellent. there are no problems whatsoever with the sound. No fence-riding on this one. It sounds MF great. Hell, the original releases sounded great IMHO.

Most importantly the music is sublime. If you pass on this because you're concerned about the sound quality, you will miss out on some great music, although you probably will be able to piece together much of it from other sources.

I would still love this Mosaic if the sound was only half as good as it is. But it's not- it's twice as good as it would be if it was only half as good as it's not. :crazy:

Get it, conn! :rsmile:

EDIT: Conn, you like your Crusaders Mosiac, right? Well, Wayne Henderson copped A LOT from JJ!

Edited by Free For All

since this set was released almost 10 years ago......

how is the sound / remastering on this set?

thanks

Dude, you listen to MP3s all day--what do you care? :P

Just kidding. It sounds great to me. :tup:rolleyes:

My concerns mirror those of SS.

This set was mastered in 1996. As far as the Mosaic website states, it doesn't appear to have been mastered in 20-bit or 24-bit.

Can we get some other comments on the mastering? (Ron S likes everything! ;)^_^ )

Not true! :angry: I'm actually pretty picky about sound quality. But you shouldn't get carried away with mastering dates and bit-rates--they're only numbers. The proof is in the listening. For example, the Shelly Manne Black Hawk CDs are still among the best-sounding CDs available, and they were mastered in the early '90's, presumably at only 16-bit resolution. You guys with only Blue Note CDs in your collection :P have been taken in by the RVG "latest-is-greatest" marketing machine, and assume that unless a CD was mastered in 24-bit resolution last month, it doesn't sound good. Many of the audiophiles on this Board will tell you that it just ain't so (Hans, where are you?).

And the JJ set sounds as good or better than many of the 24-bit CDs in my collection. So there! :g:ph34r:

SS and Conn..........don't get it. The sound sux. You'll hate it. It's one of the worst Mosaics ever. Who IS this guy with 3 J's in his name? Gimme a BREAK!

You guys just stick to your JOS comps and you'll be happy campers.

... and if you believe THAT, then ... :excited::g:lol::D

SS and Conn..........don't get it. The sound sux. You'll hate it. It's one of the worst Mosaics ever. Who IS this guy with 3 J's in his name? Gimme a BREAK!

... and if you believe THAT, then ... :excited::g:lol::D

I've got three of the discs on the JJ set including "Blue Trombone" Japanese edition, along with five JJ sessions not included in the Mosaic. I am familiar with 3 J's. :P

Gotta be careful with you passionate Mosaic collectors. I'm still deciding whether or not it's worth it to buy the set. If I do, am I likely to keep my "Blue Trombone" and "JJ Inc?"

Edited by connoisseur series500

No need to exclude any great musician here. I've got my JJ. How many JOS have you bought, Buzz? :P

Looks like someone could use a JOS comp! :g

Me? Bought any JOS?

BBWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaHAHAHAHAHAaaaaaaaaaaaa :lol::lol::lol: