Sidney Bechet CDs

Bol

IIRC, the premise of the 3 disc set was all the master takes. Unfortunately they screwed up and included a number of alternates.

Right. . . I have both the US three cd set and the three two cd sets from France. The latter have all alternates and masters. . . but the cds are shorter than the cds in the US set (the French cds mirror the two lp sets and each are just over forty minutes long or so I believe).

The French cds sound good, have a wetter sound than the American cds (reverb added).

• 9 years later...

Reviving this thread.  I have the Mosaic Select 3 CD Bechet.  I have been watching for the Blue Note Recordings CD box, but it is a bit spendy.
 Does anyone have the 4 CD Proper box "The Sydney Bechet Story"?  Sound quality?

The Sidney Bechet Story [Proper] - Sidney Bechet | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic »

I've always liked the late-day Bechet recording done live at the Brussels Fair in 1958.  It features his old pal Vic Dickenson, Buck Clayton, bassist Arvell Shaw and drummer Kansas Fields.  Even George Wein sounds okay...

I have it on Columbia LP 1410 with 7 tracks, and there are 4 tracks that have never been released, apparently.  I'm sure the Spaniards have put it on CD.