Peter Bernstein

Brad

I had never heard anything he'd done before until I heard a cut from one of the Jimmy Cobb Mob cds on the radio. He really stood and grabbed my attention. I see that AMG likens him to Wes Montgomery. I couldn't say but that one song I heard made me think of Grant.

Any other thoughts?

Man, Berstein is great. Pick up any of the Larry Goldings trio records to hear not only some fine organ playing, but some fine guitar picking and drumming as well. He also plays a lot with Sam Yahel's organ trio.

Joe and I saw him a couple years ago with Lou Donaldson. The thing I love about his playing is how melodic he is... every line has a purpose.

I see that AMG likens him to Wes Montgomery. I couldn't say but that one song I heard made me think of Grant.

Brad, you are correct, and AMG is... well, AMG is AMG. ;) Bernstein comes right out of the Grant Green mold.

Here's a selected (from stuff I own) list of some discs with Bernstein:

Tom Aalfs (Peter Bernstein) Group 15 Plays Monk Sunnyside

Peter Bernstein- Somethin's Burnin'- Criss Cross

Peter Bernstein- Signs Of Life- Criss Cross

Peter Bernstein- Brain Dance- Criss Cross

Peter Bernstein- Earth Tones- Criss Cross

Peter Bernstein- Heart's Content- Criss Cross

Ralph Bowen- Soul Proprietor- Criss Cross

Jimmy Cobb's Mob- Only For The Pure At Heart- Fable

Larry Goldings- Light Blue- Minor Music

Larry Goldings- Caminhos Cruzados

Greg Green / Various Guitarists- A Tribute To Grant Green- Evidence

Ryan Kisor- Battle Cry- Criss Cross

Mel Rhyne- The Legend- Criss Cross

Mel Rhyne- Boss Organ- Criss Cross

Mel Rhyne- Mel's Spell- Criss Cross

Mel Rhyne- Stick To The Kick- Criss Cross

Mel Rhyne- KOJO- Criss Cross

Mel Rhyne- Classmasters- Criss Cross

Grant Stewart- More Urban Tones- Criss Cross

Sam Yahel- Searchin'- Naxos

Sam Yahel-In The Blink Of An Eye- Naxos

Sam Yahel- Trio- Criss Cross

I think my favorites (besides the Cobb) are the Rhynes and the Goldings (Larry plays on "Earth Tones" also)

Berstein has a very nice warm sound and really knows how to deliver a melody. I must admit I like him better with organ than with piano. All the Melvin Rhyne CDs are great, he fits in there beautifully. Not to speak of the many Larry Goldings Trio records ...

Lou Donaldson himself mistook him for Grant Green when he first heard Berstein on a record!

• 4 months later...

Another vote for the Mel Rhynes, Bernstein shines on these (Kojo, I believe, is a tribute to Wes, so .... maybe there's something to this Montgomery comparison? ;)

I was listening to "Mel's Spell" and "Kojo" this morning, and was thinking about starting a thread to see which Rhyne on Criss Cross people liked best. I decided to do a search for previous discussions, and came back to this, which I never finished reading. So Dan, from the "better late than never" dept... B-)

"Kojo" is not a tribute to Wes. Rhyne has done at least a couple of Wes tributes (one with Royce Campbell, one with various guitarists on "Project G5"), but Kojo isn't one of them. Bernstein is not a Grant Green clone, and does show some Wes influence- especially in his chordal playing, but he's a lot more like Grant than Wes in his overall sound and approach.

Over Labor Day weekend I attended the Vail Jazz Party in Colorado. Peter Bernstein was there as part of Jimmy Cobb's Mob. Over the course of the 4 day event i had the opportunity to hear Bernstein play numerous times with a broad range of musicians including organ player Reuben Wilson, vocalist and piano player Dena De Rose, Eric Alexander, Hilton Ruiz, and many others.

Peter Bernstein demonstrated the ability to fit well with every group. His solos swing, have depth, and are melodic and tasteful. In summary, Bernstein is (in my opinion) one of the very best jazz guitar players on the scene today.

Peter F

• 17 years later...
15 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Didn´t he play with Sonny Rollins ? Isn´t he on one of those Road Session albums ? 

He's on two tracks (Patanjali and Don't Stop The Carnival) on Road Shows, Vol. 3, and one track (Professor Paul) on Holding The Stage (Road Shows, Vol. 4).

6 hours ago, mjzee said:

He's on two tracks (Patanjali and Don't Stop The Carnival) on Road Shows, Vol. 3, and one track (Professor Paul) on Holding The Stage (Road Shows, Vol. 4).

Oh yes thank you ! I haven´t listened to the tracks for some time, but remember the Patanjali well and the Don´t Stop the Carnival is so groovy on this version, but very very short, it was only the closer. It has a bit another groove and is at a slower pace than the usual versions. On the other hand, I remember that I found the tune "Professor Paul" quite boring.