Stupid Question Corner

JSngry

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Against my own advice, I'll provide a stupid answer :D

Morton was called Jelly Roll because of his ability to make the piano keys "roll" like Jelly. That was the deal. He played so fast, it made the keys roll like jelly because it... I don't know, it just couldn't take the speed of his fingers. Art Tatum used to do it without the jelly-rolling thing, and played beautiful. But I don't think he ever got the accolades that Morton did, mainly because Jelly Roll Morton was the first one. Anyway, I know alot about that kind of music, and I admire those players. ;)

Morton was called Jelly Roll because of his ability to make the piano keys "roll" like Jelly. That was the deal. He played so fast, it made the keys roll like jelly because it... I don't know, it just couldn't take the speed of his fingers. Art Tatum used to do it without the jelly-rolling thing, and played beautiful. But I don't think he ever got the accolades that Morton did, mainly because Jelly Roll Morton was the first one. Anyway, I know alot about that kind of music, and I admire those players. ;)

fegh, it's Richard Claydermann explaining the origins!

Against my own advice, I'll provide a stupid answer

Morton was called Jelly Roll because of his ability to make the piano keys "roll" like Jelly. That was the deal. He played so fast, it made the keys roll like jelly because it... I don't know, it just couldn't take the speed of his fingers. Art Tatum used to do it without the jelly-rolling thing, and played beautiful. But I don't think he ever got the accolades that Morton did, mainly because Jelly Roll Morton was the first one. Anyway, I know alot about that kind of music, and I admire those players.

Hey. I'm writing about Jelly Roll Morton here. Not Gorelick Boy. :P

Honestly, I don't know the meaning behind 'Jelly Roll.' I heard a rumor, a few years ago, that the nickname had some kind of sexual connotation. I truly don't know.

I've always wondered, whatever happened to Ferris Benda? He played some mean alto on Blakey's Night in Tunisia, and then was never heard from again. Pity.

That was Jackie McLean using a pseudonym.

I know. ;)

I didn't! Learn something new everyday!

Groovy!!! This is why I love the sense of community, and why everyone should feel free to ask questions, regardless of whether they have obvious answers or not!

What's the ugliest part of your body?

now THAT is a stupid question, at least to put forth on this board. We all now that here the time has long come when everybody who is lonely will be free to sing and dance and love; when every evil that we know will be an evil that we can rise above; who cares if hair is long or short or sprayed or partly grayed, we know that hair ain't where it's at; a time when you won't even be ashamed if you are fat!

more importantly:

Where did Annie go when she went to town?

Who are all those creeps that she brings around?

Edited by couw

Where did you read or hear this? Just curious.