I Need Recommendations

Eric

My ears are in need of (further) opening.

My music collection includes just about all styles, genres, eras, whatever. I am looking for something that is simultaneously challenging and fun. I am very open minded.

Does not need to be "pure" jazz by any stretch and I don't really care if it is free/avant garde, as long as it is FUN to listen to. Something where you say to yourself, "I bet they had a ball recording that". Only other qualifier is that I don't want something that is merely novel, something that will not have staying power.

Just tell me what comes to mind ... something YOU really dig (regardless of what the fricking critics say), something you return to. Guilty pleasures are OK, as long as they meet the other critieria.

Thanks

Eric

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

William Parker Quartet - O'Neal's Porch

f18094ddswo.jpg

If you don't already own this one, I recommend you purchase it soon. Great music that at times ventures out, but is always locked into a groove by William Parker and Hamid Drake. But for me, it’s Rob Brown (alto sax) and Lewis Barnes (trumpet) who really take this record to another level. This band recently visited Seattle, and I especially enjoyed hearing Brown in a live setting where he could stretch out more – not that he restrains himself in any way on this record. Also, they looked like they were having fun despite the somewhat less than receptive audience.

Having never heard him, I myself was just wondering about Moondoc this afternoon after Rocky Boy posted an intruiging cover. Checked some online samples and I am quite impressed. Was thinking of picking up a title as soon as budget allows. Any recommendations anyone?

If couw is referring to Jemeel Moondoc then he should check out the following titles:

Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys on Eremite

Live at Glenn Miller Café, Vol. 1 on Ayler

Tri-P-Let on Eremite

I would start with Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys.

Alejandro

xoucd125.jpg

Actually Swedish folk music but with a jazzy sensibility - that willingness to blurr things rather than play straight.

My whole musical world was greatly enlivened by discovering Swedish and other Scandanavian folk and folk related music last year.

Line up:

Sofia Karlsson (Vocals, Härjedalspipa, Trätvärflöjt)

Terje Isungset (Percussion)

Rickard Åström (Piano)

Jonas Simonson (Saxophones, Flutes)

Mats Edén (Melodeons, Violin, Viola d'Amore)

Another electrifying release from that side of the world...Finland this time...:

180.JPG

Easily my favourite vocal group of the moment.

If couw is referring to Jemeel Moondoc then he should check out the following titles:

Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys on Eremite

Live at Glenn Miller Café, Vol. 1 on Ayler

Tri-P-Let on Eremite

I would start with Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys.

Alejandro

I was referring to that crazy hoot Louis Hardin Moondoc, without he Jemeel

Moondog_1.jpg

Jemeel is someone else I was seeking to check out come time, money, money, and money. So, thanks for these recommendations anyhow. Serendipity rules.

Eric, you need to get your ears around this...

e80739ewhes.jpg

AMG review: Phil Ranelin -- The Time Is Now!!

Most exciting damn thing I've heard in ages. Found a used one in St. Louis about a month ago, and I must have listened to it 20 times since I first got it.

Sound samples: HERE

Seriously, if you buy this and don't like it -- I'll buy it off of you, and see that it gets a good home. Call that a money-back guarantee, if you like. Get on it!! :w

Edited by Rooster_Ties

you may consider to support the Nessa catalogue a bit if you haven't already, that is.

This one gets my undivided thumbs up. A stunning disk of utter beauty.

Does Chuck stock this one??

(sorry for not posting in the stupid questions thread ;) )

Eric

you may consider to support the Nessa catalogue a bit if you haven't already, that is.

Eric

AFAIK, yes.

Eric

If you're going to be placing an order from Chuck, you might want to pick up the Warne Marsh too. :tup

Edit to add:

Listening to this cd reminds me of why I fell in love with jazz in the first place.

Edited by AfricaBrass

If you're going to be placing an order from Chuck, you might want to pick up the Warne Marsh too.  :tup

thanks Jeff ... got it a while ago ... actually managed to pick it up used 20 years ago in my "clueless/blind luck" era ... ;)

Eric

Edited by Eric