I Need Recommendations

Eric

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cactus of Knowledge reminded me of another really interesting Enja:

e69090avrkp.jpg

And that reminds me of Spaccanapoli - Lost Souls, great, raucous music from Naples on Real World records.

In addition to those two excellent Enjas you might try this:

enj9326.jpg

Disc 1 is a traditional Italian town band playing hits from Italian opera. Disc 2 is the same band plus various jazzers doing modern jazz compositions.

"LA BANDA"

Traditional Italian Banda

Banda & Jazz

CD 1: Traditional Italian Banda

Banda Cittá Ruvo Di Puglia,

dir. by Michele di Puppo

CD 2: Banda & Jazz

Banda Cittá Ruvo Di Puglia,

dir. by Bruno Tommaso and Willem Breuker

feat.

Lucilla Galeazzi (vocal)

Pino Minafra (trumpet)

Gianluigi Trovesi (reeds)

Michel Godard (tuba)

Jean-Louis Matinier (acc)

Willem Breuker (reeds)

I saw them do this in London a couple of years back and it was thrilling. As are these discs, CD2 in particular.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Have you ever listened to Ellery Eskelin's music? Fantastic, innovative stuff that's alot of fun to listen to. Try his hatOLOGY albums "Kulak 29 & 30" and "Five Other Pieces (+2)".

Yo Yo Ma's new CDs of Brazilian music are great as well.

Some personal favorites (most are old favorites; some are relatively recent discoveries). All of these never fail to bring me pleasure when I listen:

Buell Neidlinger: Blue Chopsticks - A Portrait of Herbie Nichols (K2B2). Buell Neidlinger was a friend of Herbie Nichols, and during their last phone conversation promised him that he would record Herbie Nichols' music using strings and horns. He did just that here, using only strings and horns - a quintet comprised of violin, viola, cello, reeds, and brass. You may have heard Herbie Nichols' music, but you've never heard it like this. Totally unique and totally absorbing.

Spinning Song: Duck Baker Plays the Music of Herbie Nichols (DIW). A different take on Nichols' music - this time by a finger picking guitarist.

Etta Baker: One Dime Blues (Rounder). A recent discovery on my part, though it was issued over ten years ago. Finger picked guitar by a North Carolina woman who is a fine, fine musician - blew me away when I heard her play!

Cesaria Evora: Miss Perfumado (Melodie - I believe that Nonesuch has reissued this in the U.S.). You may have heard her, but if you haven't, she has a hauntingly beautiful voice. The lyrics are in Portuguese (she's from Cape Verde), but that doesn't matter a bit. You'll just be taken away by the sound of her voice.

Sun Ra: The Singles (Evidence). In addition to what you might ordinarily expect from Sun Ra (whatever that might be), you'll find in this 2 CD set r&b, doo-wop, blues, a disco tune (Sun Ra style), and even a Christmas song. Even if you normally don't listen to Sun Ra, there's a good chance that you might enjoy this.

Reverend Charlie Jackson: God's Got It - The Legendary Jackson Singles (CaseQuarter). I bought a number of his 45's back in the 70's, but I bought this just to get a few of the sides I didn't already have - he's that good. Great, funky gospel guitar and vocals.

Doug Sahm: The Return of Wayne Douglas (Tornado). Doug Sahm was one of a kind, and this was his last record. It's primarily country, but it's got all the other ingredients that Doug's records had - he took things from all the musics he loved and made them part of his music. I'm prejudiced - I like all of his recordings that I've heard - but this one is special because it's his last. A couple of added extras - liner notes that come from the heart ( written by James "Big Boy" Medlin) and a last track recording of Doug Sahm's answering machine - kind of a final goodbye.

Ornette Coleman: Live at the Golden Circle - Volume One (Blue Note). Music from another one of a kind Texan (actually, two one of a kinds - I forgot Charles Moffett). You may have this, but if not, give it a listen. You can take country blues to the city, but you can't take the country out of it.

The Best There Ever Was - The Legendary Early Blues Performers (Yazoo). Rural blues of a different kind. I f you're not into early blues, this is as good a place to start as any - just about all of the classic performers - Charlie Patton, Tommy Johnson, Blind Willie McTell, Frank Stokes, Blind Blake, Furry Lewis, King Solomon Hill, Memphis Minnie, etc - and in the best sound that you'll probably ever hear them.

Wendy Lewis and Bill Carrothers: The Language of Crows (Bridge Boy). A recital for voice and piano, with material ranging from "Take Me Out To the Ball Game" to "Jesus Loves Me" to a Charles Ives song to original songs. I don't have much else like this in my collection, and I enjoy it whenever I put it on.

The McGarrigle Hour (Hannibal). This comes across like a living room recital (which is what is was intended to do) by Kate and Anna McGarrigle, along with friends and family. Another favorite listen of mine.

Edited by paul secor

Eric,

If you haven't heard Fela Kuti, I'd recommend this album:

Expensive Shit/He Miss Road

I'd heard about Fela Kuti for years, but I never listened to his music. My mistake.

OK, this one arrived and I have listened to it a couple of times.

My highly literate review:

VERY cool!!!

My prior exposure to African music was Sunny Ade. This is jazzier and funkier and has a pretty sharp attitude.

For the upcoming days:

Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Phil Ranelin

William Parker

Jemeel Moodoc

Discovering new music kicks ass!!!!!!!!!! :excited::excited::excited:

Eric,

I'd heard about Fela Kuti for years, but I never listened to his music. My mistake.

VERY cool!!!

My prior exposure to African music was Sunny Ade. This is jazzier and funkier and has a pretty sharp attitude.

For the upcoming days:

Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Phil Ranelin

William Parker

Jemeel Moodoc

Discovering new music kicks ass!!!!!!!!!! :excited::excited::excited:

:g

I'm glad you like it! :tup

Eric,

VERY cool!!!

It is hard to go wrong with any of the Fela reissues on MCA. Leave the 80's discs for last, as the quality slipped a bit towards the end, imo. I really enjoy all of discs that I have heard.

• 4 weeks later...

f78567gsb3q.jpg

You give this a BIG thumbs up??? Do tell more??

I listened to snips and was not moved but a critic/journalist/friend had this on his #1 last year.

Love that Marisa Monte and would heartily rec her earlier "Mais" as well as Brown's "Alphabetagammawhammalammadingdong" or whateverit's called.

My tip is:

f68796disp9.jpg

unfortunately Thom Jurek reviews it in AMG.

I'm not that jaded, but I gave 'Exspensive Shit/He Miss Road' a try, and that is one smokin' disc! Fela has that groove so strong, I wanted some James Brown(15 minute version of 'Make It Funky') right after that, followed by 'Low Rider'. Thank you for recommending the Fela :tup:tup:tup

I'm not that jaded, but I gave 'Exspensive Shit/He Miss Road' a try, and that is one smokin' disc! Fela has that groove so strong, I wanted some James Brown(15 minute version of 'Make It Funky') right after that, followed by 'Low Rider'. Thank you for recommending the Fela :tup:tup:tup

Cool!

I'm glad you like it. :g

I couldn't stop playing it when I first heard it.

• 1 month later...

OK, OK, I did get several of these:

The Phil Ranelin - I did like it - wooly, but in a good way. I love the overall vibe of the music ... reminds me of later period Trane. I also liked the liner notes ... kind of an artifact of the times, but nice to see the sincereity, a la Trane or something. Thanks for the rec, Rooster!

Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit - this was in heavy rotation for a while, passed it around the office too :D I can't imagine anyone disliking this music - good beat, you can dance to it :P

Jameel Moondoc - Revolt ... - nice stuff, although I only listened one/twice so far ...

Thomas Chapin - Insomnia - I *love* this one - the little brass section is very cool, the compositions were fun and I really enjoy the overall spirit the Chapin brings to the music - probably my favorite of the recs

Fred Anderson - Missing Link - great stuff, although I was hoping he would get a little freakier :) I subsequently bought one of his Delmark (?) live CDs which is also strong - glad to have discovered this guy!!

Etta Baker - One Dime Blues - this is the finger-pick guitarist from North Carolina. This is very nice stuff, my 12 year old, who is a budding guitar player, thought it was very cool too.

Sun Ra - Singles Collection - wow - this thing is all over the place, as one would expect from a Sun Ra singles comp, I suppose. I do not have a lot of Sun Ra and this was a good sampler as much as anything else. Some of it was great, some just so-so ... but it did lead me to more Sun Ra ...

William Parker - O'Neal's Porch - just did not resonate with me - nuthin' wrong with it, just did not click

Anyway, thanks to all for the recommendations. I discovered some great stuff - the Chapin in particular (followed by the Anderson, the Fela and the Ranelin). Always a pleasure doing business with you boys!!!

Edited by Eric

if you're up for a new disc, I'd highly recommend the new David Murray disc, 'Gwotet' with Pharoah Saunders. I started on this disc yesterday, and I've listened to it about 4x, and IT STILL SMOKES!!!! It's an afropop/jazz marriage that actually works.