I Need Recommendations

Eric

Keep 'em coming, guys and girls. This is exactly what I was looking for!!!

PS - Came into about $200 of "stupid money" that is going 100% to recs off this thread. Picked up five of the above so far ...

Eric

This thread is only about 5 hours old!

How have you already picked up five of these titles. (I need this kind of service)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep 'em coming, guys and girls. This is exactly what I was looking for!!!

PS - Came into about $200 of "stupid money" that is going 100% to recs off this thread. Picked up five of the above so far ...

Eric

This thread is only about 5 hours old!

How have you already picked up five of these titles. (I need this kind of service)

well, courtesy of Amazon and others ...

dude, I am a CPA ... this is how I bust loose B)

Eric

Eric,

If you haven't heard Fela Kuti, I'd recommend this album:

Expensive Shit/He Miss Road

I was going to recommend Fela as well, but Africabrass beat me to it.

Other must titles:

Confusion/Gentlemen

Coffin for the Head of State

The Fela Singles (i forget what it's paired with)

You can also just start with the Best Best of Fela Kuti.

Others non-Fela:

Cambodian Rocks - the album title; no one is identified. Cambodian garage rock from the late 60s early 70s

Ethiopiques - start with volumes 1, 3, and 4 - Mixed artists - Ethiopian music from the early 70s. Vol. 4 approaches jazz if you need that.

These are great for revivification.

Having never heard him, I myself was just wondering about Moondoc this afternoon after Rocky Boy posted an intruiging cover. Checked some online samples and I am quite impressed. Was thinking of picking up a title as soon as budget allows. Any recommendations anyone?

Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys is verrry nice. I'd have to say this is my favorite Moondoc that I have heard. Plus its a live recording. Available on Eremite.

Having never heard him, I myself was just wondering about Moondoc this afternoon after Rocky Boy posted an intruiging cover. Checked some online samples and I am quite impressed. Was thinking of picking up a title as soon as budget allows. Any recommendations anyone?

Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys is verrry nice. I'd have to say this is my favorite Moondoc that I have heard. Plus its a live recording. Available on Eremite.

sorry, but I was referring to Louis Hardin Moondoc, your recommendation is for Jemeel Moondoc. Sorry about the confusion. Thanks anyway as with TWO recs in the pocket this has moved up the ladder of thing to get when I win the lottery. ;)

I think I have something that fits the bill. This has gotten some talk elsewhere on the board before and is a great album:

Orlando "Cachaito" Lopez .:. Cachaito

e769085i882.jpg

from AMG:

Artist Cachaito Lopez

Album Title Cachaito

Date of Release May 22, 2001

AMG Rating

Genre Latin

Tones Stylish, Trippy, Rollicking, Playful, Passionate, Energetic, Lush

Styles Worldbeat, Latin Jazz, Sonero, Afro-Cuban, Son

Buena Vista Club mainstay Orlando "Cachaito" Lopez, who is widely regarded as the best bassist in Cuba, could have taken the safe route and recorded a straightforward collection of Cuban son/Latin jazz music. The resulting album may have been a bit predictable and mild, but the high level of musicianship would have ensured a quality product, particularly considering the impressive international cast that appears with Cachaito on this album. To their credit, however, Cachaito and his colleagues were willing to take some chances. Some tracks approach a Cuban version of dub music, as Jamaican organist Bigga Morrison's Hammond prods or Cuban surf guitarist Manuel Galban's instrument reverberates while the bottom drops in and out of the mix. French DJ Dee Nasty even scratches on "Cachaito in Laboratory," a partially successful experiment that yields interesting results even though it doesn't quite gel with the rest of the album. At times the tracks seem more like studio jams than fully realized songs, but the album's overall feel — self-assured, relaxed, warm, even somewhat jocular — is quite appealing. The musicianship, of course, is impeccable, including the amazing rhythm section of Cachaito, Miguel "Anga" Diaz on congas, Amadiot Valdes on timbales, and Carols Gonzalez on bongos. Other highlights include Ibrahim Ferrer's cameo appearance on "Wahira," the album's only vocal track; the full orchestral string arrangements by Demetrio Muniz and horn arrangements by James Brown saxophonist Pee Wee Ellis; and "Tumbao No. 5 (Para Charlie Mingus)," which was inspired by the Mingus classic "Haitian Fight Song."

The cover looks a little brooding, but the music is not at all. It is a celebration of Cuban music fitting into the modern world by a great group of musicians.

Edited by .:.impossible

I think I have something that fits the bill. This has gotten some talk elsewhere on the board before and is a great album:

Orlando "Cachaito" Lopez .:. Cachaito

e769085i882.jpg

Brilliant record!

I played it to a class of 16 year olds when we were studying the Cuban Missile Crisis just before Christmas and they loved it!

Yeah, this is a singular album. The critic that wrote that review must be disappointed everytime he hears good music.... nothing to complain about.

I've revised the review for you:

Buena Vista Club Orlando "Cachaito" Lopez, bassist in Cuba, Cuban son/Latin jazz music. international cast. Cuban dub music, Jamaican organist Bigga Morrison's Hammond Cuban surf guitarist Manuel Galban, French DJ Dee Nasty relaxed, warm, amazing rhythm section of Cachaito, Miguel "Anga" Diaz on congas, Amadiot Valdes on timbales, and Carols Gonzalez on bongos. Ibrahim Ferrer's vocal track; full orchestral string arrangements by Demetrio Muniz and horn arrangements by James Brown saxophonist Pee Wee Ellis; and "Tumbao No. 5 (Para Charlie Mingus)," "Haitian Fight Song."

I have not recommended this album to enough people. It was sent to me and I passed it on to others. Everyone in the aforementioned group has LOVED this album.

I want more Cachaito.

Couw, I think the best Moondog album I have ever heard is the Columbia album you show on your post. Brilliant I have lived with since the early 70`s.Everything else of his that I have heard pales into insignificance and has not stayed too long in my collection, including the stuff on Prestige. I hace a cd twofer which includes the second Columbia album, Madrigals, rounds and canons, which is a bit of an aquired taste.

I second Bevs recomendation for Värttinä and would like too add the magnificent Canadian/Mexican singer Lhasa and her album La Llrona. :wub:

By the way Eric, where can I find some of this "stupid money?"

I only know about the stupid work that leads to good money. But if I could find some, I'm sure this stupid money would be just as good.

Key is you have to find someone stupider than you, which in my case, took some time ... :w

c6471384tie.jpg

Morphine - Cure for Pain

This is a fantastic album! Just 2-stringed bass, drums and tenor sax. I first heard this album 11 years ago and still play it constantly. I was lucky enough to see Morphine live a few ties before the untimely passing of Mark Sandman, their singer/bass player.

Edited by John B