Tristano / Konitz / Marsh Mosaic

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time this thread pops back up I think about how fun it would be to own this set. Problem is, my most recent tax form included an $14,500 total income in 2003. (I'm in grad school.) Also, I have about 85% of the material in this box on LP already so I can't justify the expense.

Great stuff, though...

I got it in the mail yesterday!!! WOOO HOOO! I think I did get the last one! If you see my other thread...I think if I had waited five minutes longer, I would have missed it. Thank you all who pushed me over the edge. Spending money I don't have has never been so fun! :g

I got it in the mail yesterday!!! WOOO HOOO! I think I did get the last one! If you see my other thread...I think if I had waited five minutes longer, I would have missed it. Thank you all who pushed me over the edge. Spending money I don't have has never been so fun! :g

Good job! You're gonna dig it.

• 1 year later...

Spinning this set and the Wave CD -Jazz from the 1950s has made me curious re Don Ferrara.

I've seen his name mentioned here and there.

Any other recommendations of where to heard material featuring Ferrara?Very Cool is on order but anything else?

Ferrara is also on that collection of 1957 Gerry Mulligan arrangements put out by CBS (I think it's called 'The Arranger') which features some very Gi-Evansish arrangements for a 15-ish size band. I think Ferrara is featured on 'All The Things You Are' on that collection. (I've heard Humphrey Lyttelton describe that one as 'A FairIsle sweater of an arrangement', which sums it up quite well.

That's Don Joseph, not Don Ferrara, on Mulligan's "All the Things You Are." There's a lovely latter-day Joseph album on Uptown with Al Cohn. Joseph, Ferrara, Tony Fruscella, and Phil Sunkel (maybe a few others) were a kind of school of like-minded players -- very lyrical/linear, soft-cloudy in tone (like bebop Bobby Hacketts), rhythmically graceful, and with lots of harmonic imagination. I believe that Ferrara's best and most extended outing as a player is on Lee Konitz's OOP Verve album "Very Cool" (which may have been reissued in Japan). Playing Tristano-ish ideas on the trumpet is not an easy thing to do, but Ferrara did it. Another who did/does a nice job of that IMO is the Swedish veteran Jan Allan.

In case someone's curious, here are two Jan Allan links:

http://www.stim.se/avd/mic/prod/jazzfacts....33;OpenDocument

http://www.jam.just.nu/

The latter site, in Swedish only, displays a whole lot of albums. Those I've heard/have are very nice, particularly "Sweet and Lovely" and the one with guitarist Rune Gustaffson, bassist George Reidel (and a vocalist on some tracks--you can't win 'em all) doing all Lars Gullin tunes.

• 1 year later...

Just a heads-up if someone in the Bay Area is looking for this one: Ameoba Records in Berkeley have a used copy on sale for $119.00. Might want to call to make sure it's still there if you're interested.

Edited by Matthew

Just a heads-up if someone in the Bay Area is looking for this one: Ameoba Records in Berkeley have a used copy on sale for $119.00. Might want to call to make sure it's still there if you're interested.

Hey Sal, you been in the bay area lately??? :rolleyes:

Hey Sal, you been in the bay area lately??? :rolleyes:

:lol:

When I saw that you were the last poster in this thread, I somehow had the feeling your post was going to mention my name!

Edited by sal