"Cannonball Plays Zawinul"

jazzbo

Okay, I picked this new reissue up, and my curiosity is finally satisfied~!

It's a nicely packaged compilation of sides from his Capitol items as was surmised here.

The tracklist:

74 Miles Away (from the album of the same name)

One for Newk (from Why Am I Treated So Bad)

Mystified (aka Angel Face) from Domination)

Money in the Pocket (from Cannonball in Japan)

One Man's Dream (from Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderley)

Hippodelphia (from Live at the Club)

Yvette (from Why Am I Treated So Bad)

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (from Live at the Club)

Ndo Lima (from Accent on Africa)

Dr. Honorus Causa (from The Black Messiah)

All these are great albums in my opinion and several are among the albums' highlights; so this is definitely a nice collection of great performances, and a nice way to organize them, using the theme of compositions by Zawinul.

The sound is pretty good. . . it's remastered by McMaster and has that signature. . . tart and bright. Had I been the producer RVG or Malcolm Addey would have gotten the job, but hey last time I looked my name tag didn't say "Hello My Name is Bob"! :g

Nice packaging with a cool photo courtesy of Mr. Zawinul himself, who had a hand in the selection and sequencing it seems. I love this music. . . Cannon's tone just got so deep and fat and golden in these years, and I like his phrasing and the ideas he came up with. . . . And Zawinul was a wonderful contributer to this group and a large part of its success; his compositions are among the best that the group performed.

All these tracks were already in my holdings with the exception of Dr. Honorus Causa, as The Black Messiah is the only of these albums that I don't have. I really really really want reissues of Accent on Africa, Domination, The Black Messiah and Why Am I Treated So Bad to appear in the next few years; I'm hoping this compilation isn't meant to serve as "all we're going to see!"

• 2 years later...

All these tracks were already in my holdings with the exception of Dr. Honorus Causa, as The Black Messiah is the only of these albums that I don't have. I really really really want reissues of Accent on Africa, Domination, The Black Messiah and Why Am I Treated So Bad to appear in the next few years; I'm hoping this compilation isn't meant to serve as "all we're going to see!"

According to Alan's jazzmatazz site, "Why Am I Treated So Bad" s scheduled to be released on May 16.

Indeed! Hope they can find a moneyinthepocketful of unissued material to pad the sucker out. Side One of that LP is as strong a program of uncompromised soul-jazz as you can find. And Side Two ventures into some slightly "inside-out" territory that might raise a few eyebrows of those who think that the post-Mercy Capitol sides were devoid of any "serious"jazz. T'aint so, t'aint so, t'aint so!

Now, if and when the reissue of Black Messiah is announced, I'm taking a day or five off work to throw a party! :g

Unfortunately, some of "Black Messiah" is pretty lame, although when it's good, it's VERY good. The album of leftovers that came out later ("Music Y'All") is just as good, and it would be nice to have all of it in one place. (As much as I enjoy the "Zawinul" CD, it leaves out a couple of the best post-"Mercy" performances - "The Scavenger" and "Rumpelstiltskin" (sic), which are much stronger than some of the material included.) (I know, I know, Zawinul himself made the picks..)

Unfortunately, some of "Black Messiah" is pretty lame, although when it's good, it's VERY good.

True on both counts, although the only cuts I can really call lame are the two that bring Mike Deasy to the forefront. But "The Chocolate Nuisance" more than makes up for it. ;)

Yes, it is. Although I don't know if it's "club" live or "live in the studio". With David Axelrod producing, you never know. I got it on a Capitol reel-to-rell that I can't play any more. I think. I'm afraid to plug in my reel-to-reel for fear that it'll blow up after years of disuse...

That's another good'un that's unduly lumped in the "all commercial" bag. It's a little more commercial than most, but there's still some good meat on that plate.

DOMINATION was reissued in 2005. Just saw it, again, tonight at Tower Records.

Hi All,

While we are at Cannonballs excellent music you have got to get hold of a very late (if not one of the lasts) - "Phenix". This is a superduper album from 1974 which I listen often to. He plays a lot of his greatest songs with new arrangements. Very souly very jazzy and contribs from brother nat and George Duke!! :D

/Shaft