Blindfold Test #10

rockefeller center

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still awaiting the arrival of BFT #10.  Considering that I've agreed to forward a disc to another subscriber, it appears that there'll be considerable delay with this BFT before all recipients have gotten the disc.

U.S. distributors (packages were sent priority mail) should receive their discs on monday or tuesday. European distributor packages were sent standard mail which usually takes 5-7 days to arrive - obviously it didn't take that long this time. All the other packages were sent off two days later (again U.S.: priority, Europe: standard mail).

sidewinder, who got his package from tooter (both U.K), received his disc before mikeweil (Germany) did (I am located in Austria). You just can't expect that all participants will receive their discs within a period of 2-3 days.

If you wish, I will delete this thread and we'll start the discussion on tuesday.

Edited by rockefeller center

Very nice Blindfold Test, rockefeller center, and very well programmed, you should audition for a radio station!

# 1: first track from this album - as a percussionist, I should have this album for the conga player alone. The bassist has never been my personal favourite, I have to admit. But the idea to play this tune that way was very cool!

# 2: That tenor sax sounds familiar, but I can't identify him right now.

# 3: I've heard this tune ... maybe I had this album ... no, wait a minute, I still have it! Of course! The sound makes think I should upgrade from my old LP ...

(track 8 from this album).

# 4: Got that one during the first bar! Have all of his records on this label. Great talent. And a great vocalist that sadly crossed over into the disco league. They wrote a number of nice lyrics to many a modern jazz tune, like this Hutcherson composition, written to celebrate his child's birth - the couple had children of their own to praise. I listened to them a whole lot back then, find the second and third LPs even better. (Track 2 from this album).

# 5: Of course, track 4 from this album.

# 6: Very very interesting, that slow bossa nova tinged 3/4 groove, and that mellow voice, like it a lot, but would have liked to hear more. Much too short. Who is this singer?

# 7: I may have heard this. After repeated listening, I find it an interesting experiment, but too disjointed, the different ingredients not connected enough to make a tasty dish.

# 8: Tenor sax and some electronically enhanced sounds - no idea who it is. Or is this Derek Bailey displaying his guitar effects wizardry? Nice, warm tenor sound, not as shreaky as most cats in such a context.

# 9: I like the combination and witing very much in this piece, but the string quartet uses too much vibrato, for my taste. The pianist shows some Tyner influence, but it's not him, I'd say, for the sound. Woody Shaw on trumpet? Very nice track!

# 10: Some instruments from the Andes, quena, harp, a guitar, and that very familiar tenor sound: from this album or another from this series - a friend of mine has them all and could tell instantly. For my taste, he is nice to hear on one track on a disc like here, but I simply can't take a whole album - his sound and phrasing is too one-dimensional for me, as great as it is.

# 11: I'm tempted to say the trumpeter is Benny Bailey, he has that cry in his sound. But I'm not sure wether he ever recorded within such a group concept. No idea about the others, but sure would like to know.

# 12: Perhaps my favourite track on the disc. Very moody, with a ;) - how's the rest of this album? No idea, but very curious about this one. These gospelish overtones, the guitar and soft rattles ..... very, very nice!

# 13: Title track from this album. This must have been among the first twenty or so jazz LPs I ever bought, still have it, from the sales bin of a record shop at the bus stop on my way home after school.

To these ears, the most moving tribute to the musician heralded here, and maybe the single greatest track of the leader.

# 14: The name of that old tune escapes me right now ... Marc Ribot? It's his mixture of nostalgia and posed kaputtness - would convince me more without the simulated vintage recording sound.

# 15: Just One of Those Things - singer has a definitive Tony Bennett influence, but he maybe not be a native speaker of English. Do not know any no-Hammond organist by the name of Kenny ... Who's this? He sure plays well.

Very nice disc, very well programmed! Thanks!

p.s. edited for a typo: rickefeller venter ..... the spirit of Freud still rules in Vienna!

Edited by mikeweil

Ah well - here goes !

#1 - Yes, Pastorius 'Donna Lee' from his first Epic album with Don Alias. Created one heck of a stir when it originally came out.

#2 - Yes, that tenor player has a very familiar sound. Some similarity with Charles Lloyd but I don't think it's Charles. A very nice track indeed.

#3 - 'Fly By Night' by Rahsaan. Wasn't this the track that he wrote listening to the sound of aircraft engines on that tour to Europe?

#4 - I didn't know this one but I had the label pinned down to either Strata-East or Black Jazz. It has that particular 'period' recording quality. Very nice indeed - will have to pick up a copy of this one. Like the backing arrangement very much.

#5 - Yes, 'Odessey of Iska' it is. An under-rated Shorter album and great tune.

#6 - Sounded a bit like Cassandra Wilson. 'New Moon Daughter'? - Not sure..

#7 - Arkestra with June Tyson? Definitely that sort of vibe, mid to late 70s. Live recording.

#8 - A total loss on this one I'm afraid.

#9 - Thought this one was McCoy plus strings. One of the Milestone albums? Perhaps 'Song For My Lady?' (flugel player here - Charles Tolliver perhaps?)

#10 - Sounds definitely like Barbieri. Possibly one of those Impulse LPs which was recorded with local Buenos Aries folk musicians. Not sure which album though.

#11 - Benny Bailey for sure - one of the tracks on the 'Berlin Contemporary Jazz Orchestra' LP on ECM?

#12 - Another blank.

#13 - Yes, of course, 'Tears For Dolphy' and Ted Curson. I recognised the tune and have the LP but couldn't quite pigeon-hole it. Sounded a lot like a Max Roach group at first listening.

#14 - My first impression on hearing this was that it could be Lenny Breau but I don't think the technique is as good as Lenny's was. Possibly from the 'Sitting Room Tapes' (lousy recording on this session - must have been done at home). Late 60s?

#15 Tony Bennett's name crossed my mind immediately on hearing this but not sure. Organ player called 'Kenny' doesn't sound familiar though. 60s-ish sound to this number.

Very nice sequence of music, most enjoyable ! :tup

Edited by sidewinder

On #7, I recognized the tenor immediately. The vocal chanting then gave it away. It is the title track from this.

Oh! That's why this tenor sounded so familiar to me .....

I maybe wrong about the strings on the McCoy Tyner Song For My Lady LP, but I'm still sure this track is not from this album. Alphonze Mouzon and Sonny Fortune were on that album. The drummer here does not sound like Mouzon.

1. Donna Lee. This sounds familiar, I think maybe I’ve heard this before. I’ve never been particularly crazy about this particular sound, but the technique is certainly awesome- especially with the key change. I’m a guitarist, so I know how hard it is to do this kind of thing on a stringed instrument. Could this be Jaco? (I’m not really a Jacophile). I think I remember a bassist friend of mine telling me about a Pastorius recording of this tune...

2. I like this- especially the opening/main theme. Laid back and tasty, and simultaneously colorful and adventurous. I also enjoyed the piano solo, although I couldn’t say who this is. Reminds me a little bit of Herbie at times. The tenor player’s got a nice big lush sound, with a nice bite to it. Some Coltranesque passages in the solo... which of course doesn’t exactly narrow things down a whole lot! (How many players did Trane influence? All of them!?). I didn’t really dig the way this went “out” before the ending, but that has more to do with my personal tastes than with the execution of it.

3. Can’t say I really care for this tune, but the playing is very good.

4. This strikes me much as #3 did. Well done, enjoyable, but doesn’t knock me out. I can’t place the vocalist.

5. Yet another interesting theme. Sounds like a soprano sax on this... very atmospheric, almost hypnotic playing going on here. I dig the percussion (is that a marimba in there?). The guitarist has a nice touch and a nice sound. As this track goes on, I get that restless (let’s get to the next track) feeling. It feels too loose to me, and the ending was kind of a letdown.

6. Didn’t care for this at all. No idea who it is.

7. I liked this a LOT less than #6. Borders on torture for me.

8. I think I may need to lie down... this is starting off like it’s going to be another snoozer... thank goodness it was short.

9. Nice sound, but I don’t like the writing at all. I like the solos less than the main theme. No idea.

10. Didn’t care for this at all. The native american flavor makes me wonder if this could be Jim Pepper (who I’ve only read about).

11. Once again, not my thing...

12. ...

13. This is a little better, but still a little lifeless, IMO. It would sound much better if I hadn’t just heard several slow, boring (to me) tracks.

14. I know this tune.... just not the name! (at least not right now...). An old tune, and a primitive sounding style at first, but the sound quality and the improv as the track unfolds makes it obvious that is isn’t an old recording. I didn’t care for it much.

15. Interesting... I don’t recognize this vocalist either. Trying a bit too hard to be hip, is my initial impression. “Kenny”... hmmm...? “Too hot to cool down”.... actually is supposed to be “too hot NOT to cool down”... kind of thinking too much about sounding like Bobby Darin to pay attention to the lyrics? ;)

Well, too bad most of this wasn’t my cup of tea. A couple of the tracks I did find interesting, and will look forward to finding out more details...

1. This is the first track off of this disc. Amazing technique and a great way to start off the BFT. I don't think this will stump many people, but it was fun to hear.

2. No clue. Sounds familiar but can't place this. Nice tune.

3. I wasn't sure who this was until the pennywhistle kicked in. Then it became clear and I knew it was off of this album. A great song from one of my favorite albums by this great musician.

4. No clue. Vocals don't bother me as much as I had expected. A bit too smooth for my liking

5. No clue. The sax player sounds familiar but, again, I can't place this. Maybe it's the production but this seems way too "smooth" for me.

6. No clue who this is. Interesting...I dig this one on first listen, which is unusual for a vocal track for me. I agree that this one is too short. I like the mood this track creates,

7. I really like this track. My first guess was going to be the Arkestra with June Tyson, but I knew pretty quickly that wasn't correct. The violin makes me wonder if it is Ornette, but I have no clue who this is. Very interesting track!

8. No clue. The piano player sounds familiar, but I can't place this...

I'll post the rest of my guesses tomorrow. For now, I've really enjoyed what I have heard so far. I'm looking forward to the second half of this disc!

1. That’s gotta be Jaco. I’ve never heard any of his solo albums, but I gotta figure this isn’t Weather Report.

2. This, OTOH, could be WR. If not solo Wayne Shorter. Not sure of either.

3. I don’t know, but I can’t wait to find out! Whatta grooooove!!!!

4. My stock answer to a track like this is Larry Young, something from the Mosaic, either Of Love and Peace or Contrasts. And usually, when I give an answer like that I’m usually wrong. But that’s my guess anyway, simply because of the vocals. And I should know this tune, too, but I can’t recall it.

5. Wow, this song is 11 minutes long? It’s very dreamy. It sure didn’t feel that long! Another one I can’t wait to find out the answer!

6. Very strange. HAFC™.

7. Yikes! NEXT!!!!!

8. HAFC™. Kinda boring, sorry to say.

9. The strings intro almost lost me, but it got kinda interesting. I like how it’s integrated into the structure of the song. Sounds kinda Tyner-ish.

10. HAFC™. Again! Very exotic, though. The sound effects are kinda grating, though.

11. Egad, I’m lost! HELP!!!!

12. Wow, now THIS is cool! I love drones, though; and this is as good as it gets! Another one I can’t wait to see the answer!

13. Sounds very Quartet Out-ish, kinda like “Days of Wine and Four Roses.” Obviously, this isn’t them (unless of course Sangrey’s switched to trumpet!).

14. Buddy Merrill solo? (heh heh heh) Honestly, I don’t know. Sounds sorta like early John Fahey. Sorta. Joe Pass maybe?

15. Bill Doggett? No, wait: Andy Williams!

That’s it. Since I can’t be serious about anything, I’m going to bed! :wacko:

Still pondering #9 but a bit of research needed. Sure sounds similar to the group sound in McCoy's 'Asante' session. I'm wondering if it could be one of those strings-attached tracks off the 'Cosmos' 2LP set put out in the 1970s (strings directed by Kermit Moore). I have the set and will check it out tonight..

Edited by sidewinder

9. No clue. This one didn't make much of an impression on me on first listen.

10. Interesting track. I'm not sure I think this track ever really comes together entirely, but I enjoyed listening to it. I'm curious to see who this is.

11. no clue. Nice track.

12. Very nice track...moody, almost to the point of being lethargic. Very sedate New Orleans funeral music? Something from a film score? o clue, but I really dig this track!

13. No clue. Nice track.

14. don't know. I can't decide if this is an older low-fi recording or if it someone current trying to make it sound that way.

15. Not my cup of tea at all. Pass.

all in all a very nice BFT. There are a few tracks I am really looking forward to discovering who the artists are.

Still pondering #9 but a bit of research needed. Sure sounds similar to the group sound in McCoy's 'Asante' session. I'm wondering if it could be one of those strings-attached tracks off the 'Cosmos' 2LP set put out in the 1970s (strings directed by Kermit Moore). I have the set and will check it out tonight..

Don't waste your time - I know the Cosmos LPs in and out - it's not on them!

The pianist has some McCoyish feel, for sure, but I have all the pre-Sahara stuff, and it is none of that. And for later McCoy the piano attack is too light, I think.