Blindfold Test #10

rockefeller center

- 5: this has to be brazilian track from this album (will have to recheck though, did not have time to locate the LP copy I have somewhere)

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aas3gtq6zbu43

You're right, brownie .... this was composed by R.C. Thomas, BTW, who is not a Brazilian, but sure hits that groove exceptionally well. Perhaps the most accessible track from that album.

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally this thing arrived. It looks as if it has been sent back and forth somehow. The return address was striped out... :huh: Anyhow:

The Rockstar had sent me a foetal version of this disk way back when. I notice there are some changes, but still I have had a bit more time with most of this than most of you. Some things I didn't know the first time around, but I found out later as I have been playing this old disk off and on.

Overall, I must say I like the disk quite a bit, so thanks a lot! Here's a run down.

Track 1. I don't have this, but it didn't take me long to find out who and what it is. I like it for what it is; I'm not sure I could take a whole album of this, but presented as it is, it's great. A bit like Rubber Shirt.

Track 2. The grunting piano player has me think of Jarrett, which would make this the band w/ Redman. Is it?

Track 3. easy-po-peasy. needed approximately, positively ONE note of this. The guy is a god. This is a marvellous track from a superlative album.

Track 4. This is nice, a bit dated (early 70s), but nice really. From the lyrics, my guess was that this thing is titled "Little B," which brought me to "Little B's Poem" by Hutcherson; comparison with the "Components" album told me I was onto the title. And AMG Quest brought me this...

Track 5. a bit too smooth for my taste; the soprano sounds too much of complaint. Picks up some fire along the (longlong) way, but loses it time and again. I find myself wishing this would finally take off and really GO somewhere. And the soprano tone just really rubs me the wrong way. The drum part towards the end is the best of it all. Early 70s I'd say. Too lazy and not interested enough to find this one out, I will rely on others posting here.

Track 6. no clue whatsoever. Really short, really cool though. Weird rhythms, lazy voice.

Track 7. ah yeah, weird stuff! Again took me long to get a clue on this one. The violin put me off and drew me in; finally I was able to place the drumming and bass, it clicked and gave me a name that fits with the violin. The title of the tune is sung out loud, so that was easy and got me this

Track 8. I have found this an utterly boring track at one listen and an utterly fascinating track at another. No clue whatsoever, not even about my own opinion...

Track 9. Track 9, nice segue. Strings remind me of that Kuhn/McFarland stuff, the piano is playing a bit more locked like Tyner though. The there are some Hill-isms in the solo. Is this the never re-released other half of that "one to one" album? I guess someone who has this album will have pointed that out by now.

Track 10. Still absolutely stunned by this one. Very beautiful, I like it a lot. Didn't know what it was at first, but dilligent searching and serendipity got me on to the right answer. I have been wanting to investigate the guy's output, but listening to online samples always put me off a bit. This one track seems to stick out like a diamond (?) Absolutely fabulous track.

Track 11. This one is new to me. Nice full sound, very loose with dabs of white and brown hanging out on all sides. There is a LOT going on here until things tone down and solos start and even then they all return to shit around after the trumpet had its say. No clue, but very curious!

Track 12. Thanks to the man with the golden teeth I have been rummaging though my MMW stuff again, luckily just in time to recognise this one. No Ke Ano Ahiahi!

Track 13. very nice, very familiar too. Cannot put a finger on it. Has some Dolphy/Mingus-like stuff going on, I like it a lot; very sad and very expressive, but still no clue...

Track 14. There are many Monkish broken lines and endless unexpected pauses here. Nice tempo changes, a weird lock up on the melody, funny way out, start over again after people think you've completely lost it, it's all there. Really funny, absolutely marvellous. Thanks Marc.

Track 15. Just one of those things. Cool hotel restaurant easy does it lounge kind of rendition with some nasty wacko spiced in. I'm in a funny mood after track 14, which makes this one go down smooth & with a smile on my face. No idea.

Track 1. I don't have this, but it didn't take me long to find out who and what it is. I like it for what it is; I'm not sure I could take a whole album of this, but presented as it is, it's great. A bit like Rubber Shirt.

Yeah, I bet Patrick O'Hearn was amongst those many bass players who were influenced by JP's output. Thanks a lot for your comments, couw.

Edited by rockefeller center

Had another listen earlier on today. #11 is definitely not the 'Berlin Contemporary Jazz Orchestra' disk I was thinking of (track called 'Salz'). Still sounds to me like Benny Bailey though, but maybe it could be Wheeler with Collier ('Deep Dark Blue Centre'? - never heard it). The contrapuntal style of this group sounds very European but the flugel player sounds North American, to my ears anyway !

I've dropped the Tyner angle on #9 and am erring towards Stanley Cowell. Sure sounds like Sonny Fortune on sax, possibly Charles Sullivan on flugel? Not sure if any of these guys recorded with strings.

I've been trying to pin down that two and a half minute track #8. I hear some "live" coughing and even some "little" voices. Sounds very Zorn without his signature pattin' himself on the back goings on but a bit of Ehrlich in the long lines. So what is that bowed crankling garage door spring under this whole thing? Hmmm ... live date, small room, prepared guitar over a pizzicato and it ends rather un-quietly. Very nicely segued into the next cut! :tup

And I'm w/ sidewinder on some 'British-ness' to that track #11. (although, it is not on the Deep Dark Blue...)

I've been trying to pin down that two and a half minute track #8. I hear some "live" coughing and even some "little" voices. Sounds very Zorn without his signature pattin' himself on the back goings on but a bit of Ehrlich in the long lines. So what is that bowed crankling garage door spring under this whole thing? Hmmm ... live date, small room, prepared guitar over a pizzicato and it ends rather un-quietly. Very nicely segued into the next cut! :tup

And I'm w/ sidewinder on some 'British-ness' to that track #11. (although, it is not on the Deep Dark Blue...)

Yes, sounded to me like a few baby utterances on this track. Definitely live, although I really haven't a clue who it is (early Greg Osby?)

I received my distributor package earlier in the week. Thanks RC!

I have only had a chance to listen through the disc once and I really enjoyed it.

I am away from home for the next few days. I loaded the disc in my iPod so I can spend some time listening while travelling.

I'll post my thoughts after I have a chance to give it a more complete listen.

:tup

Thanks to Rockefeller Center for compiling this excellent disc--I have been playing it all day today trying to get my responses down. I was trying to at least throw in a guess for each track, but some I couldn't come up with any reasonable guesses (not that I'm all that confident in any of the other guesses I made).

BFT#10 - Compiled by Rockefeller Center

1. Jaco?

2. Wayne Shorter with Chick Corea?

3. Woody Shaw and Hank Mobley with McCoy Tyner?

4. I love this whatever it is. Larry Young?

5. Gato Barbieri?

6. Beautiful, mysterious vocals. I love the bass player's meandering line. No clue.

7. Friends & Neighbors...I can dig it. This violinist is off his rocker, if that is a violin I'm hearing. The sound, whatever it is, energizes the performance. Gary Bartzish overall.

8. An intriguing interlude, a duo. No guess.

9. Andrew Hill? Herbie Hancock? This is friggin' nuts (in a good way).

10. Pharoah Sanders?

11. A wild, boiling start that simmers down to a tough-sounding rhythm. Pretty cool. I would guess this is something out of the free school, of which I know little. A lot of thought has gone into the creation of this.

12. Well I'll be damned, something I have. I'll also be damned if I can remember who it is. I've been racking my brain and scouring my shelves for ten minutes...

13. Jackie McLean?

14. Django?

15. Has a Vegas lounge act appeal, makes me want a drink!

Bah! The one track I have I can't identify. It's killin' me. :eye:

Thanks again RC, and Big Al for the distribution!

Doh! I have the albums from which numbers 10 & 12 were taken and failed to identify either one. At least I've only had the Gato album for a short while, and have only listened to it a couple times.

I also seem to have identified the right artists for some of these, but placed them with the wrong tracks! :wacko::g

Thanks again RC, and Big Al for the distribution!

Glad ya got it! I'm just sorry I've been enjoying it for almost a week longer than you! Great stuff, ya?

Definitely great stuff!

At least I got Jaco. Freakish ability!

I've been trying to pin down that two and a half minute track #8.  I hear some "live" coughing and even some "little" voices.  Sounds very Zorn without his signature pattin' himself on the back goings on but a bit of Ehrlich in the long lines.  So what is that bowed crankling garage door spring under this whole thing?  Hmmm ... live date, small room, prepared guitar over a pizzicato and it ends rather un-quietly.  Very nicely segued into the next cut! :tup

And I'm w/ sidewinder on some 'British-ness' to that track #11.  (although, it is not on the Deep Dark Blue...)

Yes, sounded to me like a few baby utterances on this track. Definitely live, although I really haven't a clue who it is (early Greg Osby?)

A very intriguing track, that number 8. I hear variations on 'In a Sentimental Mood' but can't identify the players.

Very enjoyable and varied set.

1. Jaco Pastorius, Donna Lee, from his self-titled Columbia album.

2. Seemingly CTI at the beginning, the sax shakes off it's smoothness and gets into some Coltrane-isms near the end. I'm thinking Joe Henderson on Milestone.

3. McCoy Tyner is a definite compositional influence, but I don't think he's the pianist. I should recognize the distinctive, nasal tone of the tenor, but no bells are going off. Not pronounced enough for Barbieri or Sanders. Aah well, I hear a bone, so I'll try Steve Turre.

4. Female voice and organ isn't all that common. The seventies vibe leads me to guess Jean and Doug Carn on the Black Jazz label

5. Is this Wayne Shorter from the Odyssey of Iska/Super Nova period?

6. Eerie female vocal. Cassandra Wilson?

7. Ornette Coleman on violin? I think he had an album called Friends and Neighbors.

8. Downtempo soprano and tenor and electric guitar. The official guess for kinda European and I don't have a clue is John Surman.

9. John Handy with Michael White ... hmmm, no, I don't think that group used a piano. I don't remember Jackie Mclean recording with violin. Dave Douglas?

10. That sounds like it could be koto. The sax sounds like Gato Barbieri, so perhaps it's a Latin American stringed instrument instead.

11. Tough one. I'm liking the exotic instrumental colors on this compilation. This could be anything from European to a Mingus Tribute band, but I definitely don't recognize the composition. Tomasz Stanko?

12. Not sure if that's all guitar or guitar synthesizier, or whether there's a keyboard. No real clue, but I'll throw Joe Morris out as a guess.

13. I definitely know this composition. I first thought Randy Weston, but no, its Monk. That narrows it down!!! Of all the people who probably covered Monk, I'm guessing Art Farmer. Is it Ruby My Dear?

14. Very distinctive and twangy tone. Probably a newer guitarist like Wayne Horvitz.

15. Did Sinatra really record with an organ combo? Sure sounds like it. Kenny who?