Blindfold Test #10

rockefeller center

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couw, you say Andrew Hill, I say McCoy Tyner. But it's a very wild guess too!

I checked the Andrew Hill 'One For One' two-fer and you stand reprimanded B)

well, good then B)

I had only heard some snippets way back when and remembered the strings to sound quite like what we have here; the composition is probably a bit off though. As for Tyner, I can hardly imagine him to write such quitely beautiful strings stuff as I know him to be a fan of the bombastica and the often rather cheesy string thing that goes with that. Who's on trumpet BTW? Tolliver maybe?

A bit late once more (the disc took till last thursday or friday to arrive).

A nice one, once more. Although I'll keep my comments short this time, as I did not recognize many tracks.

#1 - Jaco, Bird's "Donna Lee" a great performance, and a great idea to start your compilation! Anyone with a soft spot for fusion and/or electric bass (or just great music) should definitively check out Jaco's debut album (from which "Donna Lee" is taken).

#2 & 3: I hear Coltrane in both of them. Both sound familiar, #3 rings some bells, but I'm not able to identify it.

#4,7,8,11: good ones, like them, but have no idea...

#5: This one's too nice and easy for my taste, even more so #6...

#9: Another one I like a lot. Don't know it, though. Interesting how it unfolds, builds. The drummer's a bit too restrained, although once the trumpet solo starts, he does some pretty mean things.

#10: This one's marvellous! I'd love to hear more of this!

#12: Another one rather on the light side, but I like this! And I like the sequencing here, on to #13, which is beautiful (of course, I have no idea about both of them).

#14: A tune I know (but fail to recognise right now) - very interesting, very nice performance!

#15: Cole Porter's "Just One Of Those Things". Another vocal track with organ, an interesting combination that is too seldom heard. Pretty good! Again, no idea.

Sorry to seem such an ignorant, well, finally you all know what I actually am ;)

I dug the disc, however, and I'll read the comments of anybody else as soon as I can to find out which ones I have in my collection and failed to recognise...

ubu

Oh, well, there's two I do have... namely the Kirk and the Curson - two great albums, but I have listened only once to each of them, right after I got them, both sometime early last year... Another reason to continue (or to be strict: start) with my buying freeze.

ubu

Track 3. easy-po-peasy.

Are you on Helge mode? I saw he made a new film...

Nah, not Helge mode, normal voice; figure of speech among some friends here. Harmless really. Go see the new film if you get a chance, it has some very good music in it (and post your comments in the appropriate thread)

Grüezi, ubu. Thanks for your post!

You're welcome! Thanks for your disc!

There's another one I should have known, namely the Ornette vocal track. I have "Friends And Neighbors" lying around for some years, but I'm not sure I even listened to it once yet...

ubu

9.  Andrew Hill?  Herbie Hancock?  This is friggin' nuts (in a good way).

I remember that you mentioned the album which this tune is taken from a while ago.

I've been looking at my collection for a half hour with track 9 on repeat. You are killing me. :rmad::eye::wacko:

I remember that you mentioned the album which this tune is taken from a while ago.

I've been looking at my collection for a half hour with track 9 on repeat. You are killing me. :rmad::eye::wacko:

:g:g:g

p.s. That you mentioned it doesn't necessarily mean you have it in your collection ...

Edited by mikeweil

I'm currently wrecking my brains over track 2 - I know this tenor player, would guess a mid to late 1970's recording.

It's not Dewey Redman, I'm sure. Traces of Getz and Coltrane. Wish Jim Sangrey could find the time to comment on this one - did he get a disc?

I programmed only the six tracks not guessed: 2,6,8,9,11,15. Hmm ...

I'd say # 6 is not Cassandra Wilson - the voice here is a littler higher in its basic timbre. Even on her first German issued albums she sounded somewhat darker.

# 8 ????? :huh:

# 9 I understand why many associate McCoy Tyner, but this is too loose for his band. I'd say it's not Tolliver. And not Bartz. Perhaps some German or Austrian band? Tyner was a huge influence in Europe in the 1970's, after Sahara.

mike, I'll give you some hints:

#6 - the vocalist/guitarist is male

#9 was recorded in 1967

Sangrey didn't subscribe to BFT#10.

Why not just ask Noj (or anyone) to browse through Noj's 1033 posts? Go to his user profile, click "view all posts by this member" and be patient...

ubu

I actually tried that already, Ubu. Maybe someone else could try and see what I missed, because the most likely candidates I came up with do not have a track with the right amount of total running time...

Here it goes.

For the most part, this BFT contained stuff that is beyond me, so I have limited guesses.

#1 - As soon as I heard electric bass I thought Jaco Pastorius. Don't know the tune and don't know much Jaco, but it seems the logical choice.

#2 - This one is beautiful. My guesses were all over the place, Jimmy Heath, Joe Henderson, Wayne Shorter, George Coleman. Some JC influence going on here.

Could it be?

I thought the piano may be that of Cedar Walton or McCoy Tyner.

#3 - Another great one, sax almost sounds like the same player as on track 2, however, it could just be my ears. ;)

#4 - Nice tune, but I've got no idea.

#5 - Shorter? Ralph Moore?

#6 - Real short tune, no guesses.

#7,8 - Not my cup of tea.

#9 - ?????

#10 - Kind of a fun sound, but I have no clue.

#11 - I'm not at this level yet.

#12 - This one made me depressed.

#13 - ?????

#14 - Two guitars?

#15 - I know the tune, but have no idea on the vocalist, sounds like someone trying to do a Sinatra thing.

Thanks RC for letting me play. B)