Blindfold Test #10

rockefeller center

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, do I feel stupid. I have the Shorter, Curson, Ribot, and MMW discs and didn't recognize the tracks! :( I also should have guessed Barbieri (I have several of his discs in that series though not that specific one) and I can't believe I missed RRK (though I think I'm lacking that album as well).

Gotta spend less time buying CDs and more time listening to them I think... ;)

I'm listening to track 2 right now ... it's not Redman, Maupin, Henderson, Jordan, Sanders .... is it Chico Freeman? .... I do not hear an electric piano, BTW, and who sings along like he does? Not Walton or Hancock - I give up ....

So it's a male singer on # 6 ... I like this track, how's the rest of this album. How about another clue: Is he black or white?

# 9: who's the leader? These cats sound familiar, but ....

# 11 - could this be one of the Koller-led ensembles? Who did buy the recent MPS reissues?

You've rocked us all!!! :tup

i have listened to this 4 or 5 times and i´m really enjoying it :tup thanks a lot for this great compilation. of course i can't identify players or songs....

track 1 - really interesting. the bongo player is quite good. i´m quite curious to know the answer of this.

track 2 - for me the introduction is a Brazilian music known as "Só Louco" but i´m sure it is not. this could easily have words in Portuguese if it was the case :)

very nice tune, even if the piano player is humming all the time the song and this really annoys me a little bit. the drummer seems familiar to me but i don't have a guess.

track 3 - this one is terrific!! i NEED to have this! what a nice bass solo...the main theme is very catchy

track 4 - my favorite version of this one (Dad's Delight) is from Nnenna Freelon on her third album. on this BFT, i felt in love instantly with this one because of the vocals and the whole arrangement. astonishing for me!!!!! it reminds me Larry Young on the organ...i love more & more the organ sound :wub: this is AWESOME!!!

track 5 - a samba mood here :g it´s good, good to relax after getting wild with the previous one

track 6 - this voice is familiar....i liked this one a lot....i love when the bass is really present

track 7 - nice intro!!! something in the Eddie Gale domain for me. after the chorus vocals i didn't liked that much...

track 8 - did nothing for me

track 9 - one of my favorites of the compilation specially the piano parts

track 10 - this is "India", a genuine Guarânia from Paraguai. never could expect to hear this on a BFT compilation!! :huh: what a big suprise!

track 11 - not my cup of tea in the beginning but after 1'15" i think it´s quite good

track 12 - ....

track 13 - did nothing for me too

track 14 - this could be R.E.M. rehearsing :D didn't liked it

track 15 - yeaaaah! who sings this? loved this version

BFT´s are always so nice!

Marcus Oliveira

Edited by marcoliv

Yes, I expected you or mikeweil to identify #11. What a letdown!

yeah wel, found out in the end didn't we? I took in all the Koller albums in too short a period of time. The NY album sort of fell short. Need to correct that as this is real nice stuff. Lots of nice going music, not differing much from the cool big bands like Mulligan's and then suddenly... Whack! gotta love it.

yeah wel, found out in the end didn't we? I took in all the Koller albums in too short a period of time. The NY album sort of fell short. Need to correct that as this is real nice stuff. Lots of nice going music, not differing much from the cool big bands like Mulligan's and then suddenly... Whack! gotta love it.

A real nice track. I received a couple of those Koller MPS reissues but not the 'New York City' album.

I put the blame on couw for this :D

Wow #6 is both incredibly obscure and incredibly experienced. Right clicking his picture and choosing properties provided the needed clues. I had already listened to some Michael Gregory and concluded that his vocal and guitar style was not nearly as dark and foreboding.

9 and especially 2 continue to taunt me.

Wow #6 is both incredibly obscure and incredibly experienced.  Right clicking his picture and choosing properties provided the needed clues.  I had already listened to some Michael Gregory and concluded that his vocal and guitar style was not nearly as dark and foreboding.

Who is Michael Gregory?

yeah, I thought we were dealing with this guy; still no closer as to what the actual recording/title of the dity included in the BFT is.

Sorry if I disappointed you ... I will test your knowledge of Austrian musicians when it's my turn ... ;) .

So far I only bought and/or listened to the MPS with Pettiford - I just can't afford to buy all of this stuff right now. At least I recognized Benny Bailey right away. I will check this one out as soon as funds allow.

That Michael Gregory (Jackson) - I never had a chance to hear a single track of his. Now, how's the rest of this album? B)