Blindfold Test #10

rockefeller center

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I thought we were dealing with this guy; still no closer as to what the actual recording/title of the dity included in the BFT is.

Maybe it's from this album:

d1398099o4r.jpg

Wouldn't be the first time we've been had by one of his albums.

What is this? A Don Byron album? If so, it's not the one. I have taken #6 from a compilation that has stuff like AEC, Byron Morris, Steve Reid, Marcus Belgrave (hint, hint)... I have never heard the album which this is from (I don't think was ever issued on CD).

I'm spinning that Zawinul disc right now, the Rhino edition that also includes his rare Vortex LP. Any track from the Third Stream disc would have stumped us! For sure!

I hear the sax on BT track # 9 almost as an alto, not tenor as the liner notes state. But the next tracks reveal he has a very high sound on the horn at times.

#9: it's the pianist's date. He also played with Dinah Washington.

I got it! Shame on us!!!! The only excuse is that it's one of his least known albums .....

click here

Hurra!

Dammit. :rmad:

I have that, and it is tucked in a weird corner of my collection (of course, by alphabetic nature). I knew I had heard that weird string arrangement before. My favorite song on the album is "Soul Of A Village." The song you chose is good because its sound doesn't make me think of this pianist for some reason.

Man, I miss 32 Jazz. $9 cds of great albums.

Michael Gregory Jackson came out with his first album in the mid-seventies, a minor classic Clarity featuring Oliver Lake, Leo Smith and David Murray. It was reissued on CD along with the ESP recordings, but it originally came out on an indie label. He made a duo album with Oliver Lake and a couple of Arista/Novus dates. He moved toward pop with the last Novus date and subsequent recordings. He also dropped the Jackson to avoid confusion with other Michael Jacksons, such as the relief pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies ; )

I only mentioned him because I had incorrectly guessed him earlier.

He often sings in a falsetto voice along with his guitar.

I only got around to listening to this just in the last two days and while I found the Donna Lee version to be different as a whole I'd have say that most of the songs (although I always appreciate the effort in putting this together; it's easy to criticize when you're not doing it) weren't that interesting to me.

Thomas, I had no intention to insult (esp. since I only asked for the cd very late and I appreciate your getting it to me) and if I did, my apologies. I'm sure that when I get my turn there will be a lot of things that you or others may not find appealing. Aside from Donna Lee, I'd have to say I dug The Water Bearer, Fly By Night and I'm Confessin' That I Love You. Our tastes are a little different (I'm more grounded in the late 40s, 50's and 60s) but it's a big tent. Thank you again.