Summer RVGs

scottb

I don't think I've seen the dates of the next RVGs posted so for anyone who's making out the budget. (You can do it if you skip vacation! "Hey kids, how would you like to go bowling instead of taking that LONG, boring drive to that HOT, LAMO Disney joint?")

JUNE 29

Inner Urge

The Thing To Do

Buhaina's Delight

Breaking Point

Dexter Calling

Action

JULY 13

Sixth Sense

Doin' Alright

Home Cookin'

Black Fire

Night of the Cookers

Serenade to a Soul Sister

AUGUST 10

Destination Out

In 'n Out

Tender Moments

Free For All

One Flight Up

Blue Spirits

P.S. Still No GIGOLO!!

Apparently the only way for The Gigolo to be released as an RVG would be for me to rebuy the current release. I sold my previous copy in anticipation of the RVG!!

Edited by scottb

Sure glad that "Black Fire" is gonna be easily available again. :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

It'll be nice to have better sound, and those alternates at the end of the disc too.

(Yeah, I've got the Mosaic -- but I'm sure I'll be picking this up as an RVG too.)

Good to have more of Joe Henderson's BN catalog getting updated too.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Sure glad that "Black Fire" is gonna be easily available again.  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup

Rooster -- is "Black Fire" anything at all like "Passing Ships"?

I didn't have any Andrew Hill until Passing Ships came out, and I absolutely love that CD! I also really like Hutcherson's "Dialog", and I'm slowly warming up to "Point of Departure".

I'm curious to learn more about Andrew Hill -- and I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you're a fan? ;)

Rooster -- is "Black Fire" anything at all like "Passing Ships"?

I also really like Hutcherson's "Dialog", and I'm slowly warming up to "Point of Departure".

As Chuck so correctly noted, "Black Fire" isn't anything like "Passing Ships", though you can hear much of Hill's quirky piano technique in both (which is oddly consistent between most of his more inside and outside recordings, at least within a given decade).

While I wouldn't call "Black Fire" incredibly accessible, I would say that I think it's one of Hill's most approachable recordings from Hill's early '63-'66 period (and it's definitely more accessible/approachable than "Point of Departure". Anyone who digs "Dialog" will probably also like "Black Fire".