Places

mmilovan

Well, inspiration for this thread was reading to sad news about last jazz musicians recorded in 20s, 30s, 40s...

I always wonder if some of famous places remain intact as they were in those famous days. I mean, clubs, record studios, ballroom halls and etc.

So, how many famous places left until nowadays? Is there any? (I saw some film about KC, and there, on that film was shown place where famous club (it can be Reno or something like that) existed - now it is police station :))

Is there any enlighten investigation in this field.

Edited by mmilovan

Well, speaking of KC, the old jazz district was at 18th and Vine. This area fell into disrepair for years, but fortunatley was renovated ~ 10 years ago. The Jazz Hall of Fame and the Negro Leagues Baseball museum are there now. The Gem Theater has been restored and hosts a number of jazz concerts (I saw Tom Harrell and Charles McPherson there last month). There is also a jazz club called the Blue Room.

The one element of history that sill exists is the old union hall, known as the Mutual Musicians Foundation. They still host after-hours (starting at ~ 2:00 am) jam sessions. As far as I know, the hall has been there and active since the 20s.

As an aside, this area was spiffed up "post-renovation" to scenes in the Robert Altman movie "Kansas City".

Eric